Skyrim Daedric Armor - Foam Build (COMPLETE! Pic Heavy)

Re: Skyrim Daedric Armor - first time foam build

The bracers are now complete! Right now they have a split seam down the inside of the arm so that I can slide my hand through. I will need to figure out the best way of closing the bracers (velkro/elastic?) .

20130801_003527.jpg20130801_003823.jpg20130801_005205-1.jpg

Also found some black see through fabric ("speaker fabric") to use for the eyes. Seems to work pretty well.

20130731_190020.jpg

Is the seam mated or overlapping?
1000px-DaedricGauntlets.png
If you look at the gaunts themselves there's a raised bit nearest the elbow on the underarm-side where you can put a strap/velcro and then put the filligree pattern over it, then just bond the foam the rest of the way so you don't have a seam, depending on your hand/wrist size.

How's the visibility through the "speaker fabric"?

Is the seam mated or overlapping?
View attachment 215037
If you look at the gaunts themselves there's a raised bit nearest the elbow on the underarm-side where you can put a strap/velcro and then put the filligree pattern over it, then just bond the foam the rest of the way so you don't have a seam, depending on your hand/wrist size.

The seam is mated and goes along the length of the bracers. I was definitely thinking of doing strap under that raised part near the elbow, the problem is actually at the wrist which is the narrowest part, I cant fit my hand through it if I glue and I don't want to make it wider cause it fits perfect around my wrist right now, so I need figure out a way of connecting that part.

Thanks for that pic by the way, will be a great reference when I start painting!

How's the visibility through the "speaker fabric"?

Visibility seems pretty good, I may go a different route if I find something better but so far its a good option.

Last edited:

One thing I can suggest (I don't have a specific picture of this because of course my old costume is not at my apartment and I didn't take closeups of this yet) is to do grommets and elastic cording, or something like that. Use a punch to make a hole in the foam, then put grommets into it, then thread elastic through the grommets. That way it will cinch itself up but still be stretchable for you to fit your hand through. Then you can cap the grommet with some putty or one of those little plastic caps they use on furniture so it looks like the rivets in the gauntlet.

I really really want to get started on a build like this, it looks amazing! It's hard to believe this is your first build.

I was wondering if you had the modified foam files for this armor, I can't find them anywhere and I am terrible at modding files.

I hope you can help, seeing this build aspirers me to give it a go.

I really really want to get started on a build like this, it looks amazing! It's hard to believe this is your first build.

I was wondering if you had the modified foam files for this armor, I can't find them anywhere and I am terrible at modding files.

I hope you can help, seeing this build aspirers me to give it a go.

I have been pretty much using the original files for paper. All I do is Hide Flaps, Set Edge Threshold to 160 degrees, then go through and try to join/dis-join edges that I think are flat enough to work as a single piece of foam. After that its just a matter of scaling the piece, and then making as many pieces fit on as little paper as possible. Also if the piece is symmetric, you only need to print one side, then trace it twice on foam.

Made the boots over the weekend, still need to make the part that covers the shoe, but overall fit seems pretty good. Found a set of old boots that I will use under the foam. Will probably velkro boot covers over the boots, they should glue nicely to the rubber I hope.

boot1.jpg

Finished both boots and also attempted at carving some of the thicker foam into a war axe. Came out better than expected for my first try.

boots_both.jpgdaedric_war_axe1.jpg

Next up is the legplates and the hand part of gauntlets.

I can't seem to find any good gauntlet tutorials out there, I may just end up making them from scratch. I was hoping to find someone who's made a LOTR Sauron gauntlets as those seem very similar, preferably out of foam or plastic.

This is gorgeous foam work. Having worked with foam that thick, your helmet is just blowing my mind.

Keep it up!

Started to seal the foam with Mod Podge. I love the gloss shine it gives the pieces. Almost makes me not want to paint over it :). So far I did 3 coats, wondering if the recommended 5 coats is overkill for sealing since I will be painting over it.
sealing_foam1.jpgsealing_foam2.jpg

Nice work! I saw a pep/fiberglassed daedric armor at Otakon last weekend so I am excited to see how this foam one turns out. Do you just use mod podge straight or do you dilute it with anything? I have never worked with that stuff before so I don't know how it feels.

Nice work! I saw a pep/fiberglassed daedric armor at Otakon last weekend so I am excited to see how this foam one turns out. Do you just use mod podge straight or do you dilute it with anything? I have never worked with that stuff before so I don't know how it feels.

I dilute the first coat with some water as recommended in some tutorials i saw, for better bond to the foam, then I do the other coats straight. I've only tried the gloss mod podge cause its what I had, but I think ill buy matte next time, since ill be painting over it anyways. Its water based and supposed to bond with acrylic paint really well. After painting, I plan on sealing it again with acrylic lacquer which should bring back the gloss look.

I am planning to use some glass bead gel Golden Glass Bead Gel on the horns and other textured areas to give it a cool effect which I haven't seen done before.

WOW! that is fricken epic! Perhaps I should start looking into foam builds ~ hmmm

well done

Spent some time last night adding some trim details to the front and back. Also, finally attached the ribs to the body.

daedric_front_details3.jpgdaedric_front_details2.jpgdaedric_front_details1.jpgdaedric_back_details2.jpgdaedric_back_details1.jpg

(Ignore the belt, its just there to hold the armor in place)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back