Mold making

teranmx

So Question. I am working on a head piece... and I need to do another mold. I've been debating what technique to use. So my question is How do you decide to either do a box mold or a brush on silicone mold?
The reason I ask is made this headpiece:

I did it with brush on silicone... but I had to utilize the plaster of paris bust in the mold to get a positive pull from it.

and because I had to create vents for the material to breath and because I didn't fix over hangs(*slaps self in face) I am required to keep the bust in it when I do pours. I got a good positive from it.. but it has the the messed up edges of the vented pieces. And since I cold casted it two things happened.. to fix the parts I had to cut off the extra length and then bondo fix points and now super glue the aluminum powder on those spots. Also My hard shell doesn't close perfect so it caused other problems. Also since I have to pour it in the lowest point so it does remove the aluminum powder I had to drill a hole in the center of the bust plater of paris piece. So far of the 3 pulls I've done from it.. twice I've messed up the bust and have had to fix it. I don't want to keep doing this and keep repairing the back end of it for each person who wants one... so I was thinking about doing another mold based off the last positive that I am fixing. That is why I am trying to decide if I should do a box mold or do another brushed on silicone mold (without using the plaster piece). Any thoughts or suggests would be greatly appreciated. I think the box mold might cost more since I would have to fill up a certain amount of space with silicone. Don't know if I can afford that.

I'm no expert, but I think your best bet will be to fix a casting and then do a two part mold, either brusha on or poured. The main adbamtage of a brush on is rhat it uses less rubber.

If it was me I would use the bush on. If you look up my mini nuke you can see how I did a mold of half a ring. Just back your helmet with clay instead of a cardboard tube. I do not know where I would put the parting line. You might even want to do more than two parts, but that means more seams to clean.

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back