Neill Blomkamp's Chappie (Post-release)

Re: Neill Blomkamp's Chappie

I wish that short film was a bit longer now. The head reminds me of Briarios from Appleseed though.

The movie started filming in October 2013 and wrapped up last week on January 20, 2014. But the movie doesn't get released until March 27, 2015.

Chappie's budget is estimated to be $60 million and is comparatively smaller to Elysium's $115 million, while District 9 was $30 million. Also this movie is geared to be a sci-fi black comedy rather than a sci-fi action/thriller like Blomkamp's previous films.

Instagram

" Wrapped #chappie !!! "

1658f72c81f211e3b40e0eb0b31c1be6_8.jpg

Simon Kinberg Talks Neill Blomkamp's CHAPPIE

From the article:

" Even though I was letdown by Neill Blomkamp‘s recent film, Elysium, I still think District 9 is one of the best sci-fi films of the last ten years, and he’s a filmmaker worth watching. His next movie is Chappie, tells the story of a robot (voiced by Sharlto Copley) imbued with artificial intelligence who is stolen by two local gangsters who want to use him for their own nefarious purposes. Die Antwoord frontmen Ninja and Yolandi Visser play the gangsters, and Hugh Jackman co-stars as a CEO who gets on their bad side.

While Steve was at WonderCon, he interviewed producer Simon Kinberg, and during their conversation, they briefly talked about the movie. Check out what Kinberg had to say about Chappie, which also stars Sigourney Weaver, and opens on March 27, 2015

Kinberg was vague on plot details, but he did provide some exciting words when it came to the tone of the picture:

"It’s great. We finished shooting. We shot the end of last year and a month of this year with Hugh Jackman, who’s in the movie. His portion shot this year in Johannesburg. It’s Hugh Jackman, it’s Sharlto Copley, it’s Die Antwoord, the rap group. And it is, honestly, I would say the most original, unique, wild, provocative studio movie you will likely ever see. It’s like Neill let loose. It’s a real neat film."

To say it’s “the most original, unique, wild, provocative studio movie you will likely ever see,” is a pretty high bar, but we’ve seen movies reach this bar. And honestly, did anyone expect District 9, a movie from an unknown filmmaker with no stars, to be a massive hit? Like I said, Blomkamp is a director worth watching.

As for when we might actually get to see the movie, Kinberg wasn’t sure:

"I honestly don’t know when the trailer’s going to be. I know the movie comes out next March, so sometime relatively soon. They’ve seen a lot of footage as we were shooting. It’s just cool. It’s a like a cool, twisted, emotional, completely different film."

District 9 and Elysium both swung by Comic-Con, so fingers crossed we’ll get a look at Chappie when we’re in San Diego. "

The only name i recognize is Hugh Jackman and the fact he cast rappers doesn't inspire me with hope too much.

If you know anything about Die Antwood you would know that they are a group that are focused on the counter culter and more about the common man in South Africa. Don't be so quick to dismiss something because you see the word "rapper". They are an odd band

Chappie had a very subtle banner placed in the lobby at SDCC 2014. It featured a back-side-head-kinda-sideways image of the title character... Makes me a bit excited to see the rest of the robot design!
Chappie-Banner-2.jpg

Thanks StudioCreations. Wow, can't believe I missed seeing that banner in person at Comic-Con or maybe I just glanced and forgot about it during the chaos.

I was little surprised they didn't have any footage presentation there for Chappie, considering Blomkamp's previous two movies did have footage shown at Hall H.

Also his previous movies were released in August, where as Chappie is scheduled for March so it definitely could have used the buzz with a teaser at least.

Social media links
https://www.facebook.com/ChappieMovie
https://twitter.com/ChappieTheMovie

First Promo Banner for Neill Blomkamp's 'Chappie' from Comic-Con | FirstShowing.net

Here is a little brighter full wide image. Click to enlarge.

Here is the art at the Hard Rock Hotel elevators in San Diego during the week of SDCC.

BtUwGjACQAAippF.jpg:large

Another better look at the robot Chappie.

15119496587_18e2dd3f5b_o.png

Last edited:

Aww come on.

First he rips off the manga, Battle Angel Alita, turning it into a cloyingly sophomoric politically correct film called, Elysium.
Now he's ripping off Appleseed's Briarios.

As good as District 9 was, Elysium was such an insult that I'm convinced he only works on visuals (drawing completely off manga) and relies on other creative talent to give the film substance. I have no faith.

Last edited:

Chappie trailer images leaked earlier this month on Twitter by user Gabriel Gray. Guess we can expect the trailer in the coming weeks.

15352180239_6a349af682_o.png

Chappie Poster. Trailer will be online tomorrow.

(click to enlarge)

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back