Neill Blomkamp's Chappie (Post-release)

Still no reviews. And given the very muted interest in this I think this is going to be two in a row for Mr B. And not in a good way! Given the problems reported with that "side" of the cast it looks like it may have damaged the film beyond redemption. I have rarely come across an instance where reviews have been blocked almost to the day of release but it looks like "Chappie" will do that.

It's definitely odd. But in some ways it's kinda refreshing not hearing from anyone and thus not having any preconceived stance based mainly on early reactions.

Metacritic only has 7 reviews of "Chappie" in their database, 48 hours prior to release...

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/chappie

1 positive, 3 neutral, 3 negative.

I am going into the theater expecting to be entertained, nothing more. I think I am safe that way.

- - - Updated - - -

Vivek, that Sideshow 3D Studio Chappie figure is awesome looking. I am tempted to buy it via their "payment plan". Tomorrow's viewing of the movie will be the deciding factor. :)

Chappie 'Scout 22' 1_4th Statue The 3D Studio
Went up for pre-order few weeks ago. Great looking piece with lot of details. But I just can't afford it right now.

http://lghttp.36673.nexcesscdn.net/...f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/s/c/scout22_1.jpg

Its rare for me to pass up the opportunity of a sci fi film on general release but I'm afraid I will with "Chappie". "Ex Machina" has already tackled the same subject this year from a VERY different point of view as a small ensemble piece and that was a very quiet,thoughtful and cleverly involving piece of cinema. This looks like the exact polar opposite. I was hugely disappointed with the obvious flaws in "Elysium" and the combination of manic rap gangsters and waggly earred robots is hitting my off button. I'll wait for some feedback here for a change. Its unusual for me to be swayed by reviews ( I did afterall go see "Jupiter Ascending"!!!!) but my gut instinct is telling me to avoid (as opposed to my immediate yelp of joy when seeing the new Age of Ultron trailer this morning which set the dog running and barking around the room too).

I might put this one off for a bit. I'd had high hopes for this, but seeing the bad reviews and complications with Die Antwoord I'm thinking I might skip the opening weekend and catch this in the cheap seats. We'll see.

I saw an advanced screening in Atlanta, Ga. Visually Blomkamp is very consistent. his films all capture a grungy side to scifi... The characters are compelling, and the over arching message of the film is not lost (as seen in Elysium). Hopefully this is a commercial and critical success. It is very deserving of a 2nd viewing. I look forward to renting when released on bluray. first act was engaging and didn't seem slow or pandering to anyone seeking "content". final act of the film keeps you on the edge of your seat! Sharlto Copley does a great job of making us empathize with his character- Chappie is an endearing, and deep character. Another mention-able cast member is Yo-landi Visser. She brings a surreal presence through her character. Also, Hans Zimmer's score was righteous!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Neill Blomkamp's Chappie

Anyone read that Ninjas part is apparently being cut right down because of his bad behaviour?

I noticed in the last trailer his line was overdubbed by someone else.
Saw the movie last night. Ninja plays a very substantial role in the film and is in the majority of the scenes. if anything was cut i would be very surprised. Ninja and Yo-landi exceeded my expectations. I was very unsure of how their performances would be. I enjoyed it immensely

Re: Neill Blomkamp's Chappie

Nice one.

It opens here in the UK tomorrow so I'm looking forward to it.

Was probably just BS to get people talking about the movie.

Saw the movie last night. Ninja plays a very substantial role in the film and is in the majority of the scenes. if anything was cut i would be very surprised. Ninja and Yo-landi exceeded my expectations. I was very unsure of how their performances would be. I enjoyed it immensely

Saw a screening last night. Don't like it.

There are moments where characters actions defy logic early on and instantly took me out.

I hated the gang members. Chappie was more annoying than likeable, and Hugh Jackson, who I love as an actor, was just boring.

I don't want to hate on it (especially since so many of my friends worked on it) But I just really can't say anything positive.

The final scenes may have looked good on paper, but visually just came off as ridiculous.ah well.

Too late now, but I wish critics, audiences, and especially studios had realized before he was given the reins to Alien 5 that Blomkamp is a one-note writer-director who has now made the same film thrice.

Too late now, but I wish critics, audiences, and especially studios had realized before he was given the reins to Alien 5 that Blomkamp is a one-note writer-director who has now made the same film thrice.

This is EXACTLY what concerns me. When I saw District 9, I thought it was brilliant. When I saw Elysium, I thought... wait... isn't this the same story, just more heavy handed and clunky? When I saw the trailers for Chappie I was like ....

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back