Neill Blomkamp's Chappie (Post-release)

Re: Neill Blomkamp's Chappie

After watching the trailer. I have absolutely zero interest in this movie. I enjoyed Elysium in a mindless kind of way. And I'm sorry to say I never saw D9. But this movie just looks boring and like a rehash of other movies we've already seen.

Then I'm sorry for you.

Saw the preview before Interstellar. Definitely thought Johnny 5! Not gonna lie. Will see this one for sure.

Chappie - Scout 22 1:4 Statue by Gentle Giant.

"In the midst of rising crime and losses among the Royal South African Police, TetraVaal has introduced the successful SCOUT program to combat the deadly criminal elements that operate throughout the country. Since the introduction of the Scouts, crime has plummeted, the police are safer and TetraVaal stock is at an all-time high.

Scout 22 is one of hundreds of robots that patrol Johannesburg, assisting the RSAP with high risk assignments that would otherwise be too deadly for their human counterparts to engage in.

Working with the original digital files used for the filming of Chappie, Gentle Giant Ltd brings you Scout 22. This 1:4 scale high quality polystone statue stands approx. 18.5” tall and is posed at the ready with rifle on the dangerous streets of J-Burg."

The statue weighs about 21 pounds. Currently up for pre-order on BBTS for $382.99. Release: 3rd Quarter 2015.

15218234373_d1d3d27dc6_o.jpg

Chappie "Scout 22" figure prototype in 1/6 scale by threezero at the Toy Soul exhibition in Hong Kong.

16030369116_248bef8878_o.jpg

Yes, the unique head design is inspired by Appleseed (1985) and it was also evident in the short Tetra Vaal (2004).

In terms of design I think that's where the similarities ends.

If any one wants to bash this movie based solely on that reason, they can. But I think that's stretching it too much.

Yes, the unique head design is inspired by Appleseed (1985) and it was also evident in the short Tetra Vaal (2004).

In terms of design I think that's where the similarities ends.

If any one wants to bash this movie based solely on that reason, they can. But I think that's stretching it too much.
admittedly I'm still seething over Elysium ripping off the manga Battle Angel Alita in so many ways and infusing it with sophomoric themes. Especially since it probably means that James Cameron's Alita is now unlikely to ever see production. I had been anticipating Cameron's Alita for years.

Appleseed's e-police meets Robocop meets Pinocchio

(I promise I'm done with the negative posts here.)

Last edited:

I haven't read the actual manga, but I read about it and saw some of the art from Battle Angel Alita when Elysium was in production. And I wondered did people really believe the allegory of modern economic class system depicted under science fiction settings should be credited only to Battle Dark Anita from 1990?

Elysium's genesis was based mainly on the concept art of the space station designed by Syd Mead in the 1980s. That image is what inspired Blomkamp and Mead was brought on board for Elysium as well.

Neon Genesis Evangelion fans were upset over similar reasons when Pacific Rim got released. As if the mecha genre was restricted to that sole anime.

The universe of BAA appears to be more vast and still viable for a feature film if somebody decides to do so. Cameron now won't do it cause he wants to do only Avatar till the next decade. NGE will likely get done under guidance of the Weta team when another studio decides to back the film.

(I promise I'm done with the negative posts here.)
Oh man, no such promise needed. If we all agree on everything, the discussion remains stagnant without alternating unique viewpoints.

I just felt the reason for the negativity seemed too much just cause of one aspect of design similarity. But you now mentioning Pinocchio, I can see why it might be about more resemblance in other themes to Appleseed, even though that theme itself is vastly used in other creations.

Since you are a fan of those properties, I do understand why you feel these films are undermining their possible future adaptations.

Umm.. What about macross/robotech?

Even shogun warriors and starvengers baddies sometimes had "ears" like that...

kinda looks like Anubis...

Chappie is totally ripping off ancient Egyptian art!!

What a bunch of hacks!!!

(Rolls eyes)

Chappie 7 inch action figure from Gentle Giant.

https://www.dcbservice.com/product/jan152244/chappie-7in-af-cs-(c-1-1-2)
Regular Price: $24.99

DCBS Price: $19.99 at 20% off.

"In the midst of rising crime and losses among the Royal South African Police, TransVaal as introduced the successful SCOUT program to combat the deadly criminals who operate throughout the country. Since the introduction of the Scouts, crime has plummeted, the police are safer, and TransVall stock is at an all-time high. Scout 22 is one of hundreds of robots that patrol Johannesburg, assisting the RSAP with high-risk assessment that would otherwise be too deadly for their human counterparts to engage in. After being kidnapped by two criminals during birth, Chappie becomes the adopted son in a strange and dysfunctional family. Chappie is preternaturally gifted, one of a kind, a prodigy. He also happens to be a robot. From Gentle Giant, Chappie is a 7' tall action figure with over 25 points of articulation with multiple accessories and posed hands."

B6q1Hr5CUAAL26k.jpg:large

Nice to see the story a little more fleshed out in this trailer. Definitely going to see this one on opening night.

Wow...looks great. And to think two rappers are key players in this film. As always he knocks the action and effects out of the park! I won't be mad if he follows this formula of protagonist fights giant powered suit or bad guy every film!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back