Lady Archer Short Dress Scratch Build

Thanks, andveryginger!

I had been doing pirate things for the past few years but just got burned out on it. This seemed like a good direction to go in :)

Awww! Thanks, Bexly449 <3<3

If you need any help with the construction of it, hit me up. I made patterns from the pieces that i cut before I assembled it. :)

sweet! patterns would be greatly appreciated :) I'm in no way as talented with a needle and thread but it will be fun giving it a go!

K...

I traced the pieces onto cardboard, so I could then trace those onto paper and either try to scan them in pieces or fold 'em up and mail them to you.

You will likely have to adjust here and there for your shape, but it will make things alot easier to have the overall pattern to begin with. It's a very simple construction... at the end of the day it's really just a matter of cutting out six panels and sewing them together at their seams. This is how I did it, only adding embellishments after I had the body of the dress assembled. Also, having the princess seams makes taking it in so much easier. I always set my mannequin a bit larger than I am so that when it's all fitted to it I can then slip it on inside out and pin where I want it taken in and then just sew those seams a bit further inward. Then when I'm happy with the fit I can just cut off the excess in the seams and turn it rightside out and I've got a perfectly tailored fit. :)

K...

I traced the pieces onto cardboard, so I could then trace those onto paper and either try to scan them in pieces or fold 'em up and mail them to you.

well which ever is easier for you, if mailing the templates is the easier option I can message you my address.

adjustments and modifications i can handle :) thanks for the tip about trying it inside out and pinning it, will make it a lot easier to get a proper fit :)

I registered just to compliment you on this one. Love the look of it!
It deserves some less grainy photos, maybe outside? Did you make it for a faire or a LARP? I'd love to feature it on my blog, RPGBooster as I think people would be very inspired by it!

- Alabast,
RPGBOOSTER.com

Thanks, Jorgen Stovne! I DO need to take some better pics! I wore it to a Renn Faire this past weekend, but I forgot to have anyone take pics of me in it! :p

I'll have to recitfy that straightaway!

well which ever is easier for you, if mailing the templates is the easier option I can message you my address.

adjustments and modifications i can handle :) thanks for the tip about trying it inside out and pinning it, will make it a lot easier to get a proper fit :)

Hey... sorry i completely lost track of this. Do you still want patterns for this dress?

K.

I do! I actually pulled those patterns out a week ago to make something from them and that's when I remembered to check inon this post.

I'll trace them onto some large paper and then get hold of you to figure out how to mail them to you :)

K.

Thanks so much, FANGS!

I really did mean to work more on this.... I ended up passing this dress on to a dear friend (who looks far better in it than I did) but I kept all of the props and still have the cut patterns. I'm thinking now of making a second and modifying it a bit. Whereas the last one had a permanently attached hooded collar, I was thinking of a more Elvish style stand up collar with a removeable hood, and yet more of the leather detail work added especially around the neckline.

I may also leave the princess seams open below the waistline, and wear leggings beneath... sort of a Tauriel style. Dunno... I'm just brainstorming.

But I DO mean to continue to refine this work. I've already had one member ask for copies of the cut patterns (which I SWEAR I am going to get in the post!) so perhaps the next evolution of this outfit will find favour with you all as well.

K.

I know this post was over a year ago, but I'm looking into making a costume for my very first RF, and I was wondering if you still could send the pattern or give help with making this

Sadly I've recently moved and have lost the cutting patterns that I used to make this.

BUT... it is very similar to the "princess gown" pattern that I used to make this:

All I did was cut it shorter, add a hood and modified the neckline/added collar details. I'll find the pattern maker and number later today and post. I can also offer tips to adapting the pattern.

The above dress is made from the same material as the Lady Archer Short Dress.

The patterns might show up unless you know for sure the box(es) are gone! I moved a few years back and recently discovered a box of old drawings/sketches I did WAY back in high school. It was a great trip down memory lane.

Looking forward to the next project :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back