figured out superman returns costume

Originally posted by propsculptor@Jan 2 2006, 11:57 AM
I found the source of where Brian Singer got the idea to add the "S" on he belt:
costumesuperman1.JPG

[snapback]1148746[/snapback]​

AND it's made of flame retardant material. That's the mark of a true Superman costume. :thumbsup

-Solo

just take this into mind...I remember a time when the XMEN movie first came out and man, we hated those suits and thought singer was really going to royally "F" this is up..but he didn;t...if anything he bolstered the XMEN fandom and heck, this board went crazy when David reproduced the suits .

I am not saying we are going to love the outfit, but I am betting on the fact that the STORY and PLOT is going to outweigh all. I just watched all four films and if you really think about it...only Superman II really has a good plot. Superman The Movie just rode on its introduction coat tails, but everything else was really hoaky...

Singer has at least acknowledged that he's not going to ride on the coat tails of retelling the beginning...to me he's taken the far bigger challenge, which is tell a good story admist the well known legend.

Challenge or copout?

A wise man once said: "Superman only works in his origin, his growth. Because once he puts on the suit, thats the happy ending."

This is why Smallville works so well.

It would have been wiser to remake the orgin properly without unnessesary plot additions liek Lois' kid or even the Donner movies Pa Kent dying (in the comics hes alive and very well).

Look at Birthright, someone could have brought that to the screen and man would that have rocked.

As for teh costume vs Singers X-men costumes...X-Men changed their costumes ALL the time. Granted some thought it was cheesy to use leather, I still do, but its acceptable.

Now Superman hasn't changed his costume basics since day one. Granted they have refined the \S/, but otherwise the basic concept hasn;t changed. This Routh costume is a dramic departure from any incarnation. Even Cain's costume had a differnt belt and lower shorts, and awesome cape, darker colours, but not many complained the same as this costume. Cains was differnt and yet added something unique with the embroidery and colours. His costume was still Superman and it kept up for 4 years of television and though it had its bumps...

The point is many dislike the costume because its not Superman its Supercoolalienman. I don;t see Superman when I see Routh in the costume. I do with Reeve, Cain, Welling (thanks alex ross.) and even the cartoon versions.

Every excuse on why the costume is why it is, is bogus. Singer made a toy figure.

Originally posted by Primrodo@Jan 3 2006, 11:34 AM

It would have been wiser to remake the orgin properly without unnessesary plot additions liek Lois' kid or even the Donner movies Pa Kent dying (in the comics hes alive and very well).

[snapback]1149662[/snapback]​

Actually back in 78 when Superman was made Pa Kent was dead in the comics (so was Ma). It's only in Post-Crisis continuity that he's alive.

Originally posted by DuneMuadDib+Jan 4 2006, 04:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DuneMuadDib @ Jan 4 2006, 04:39 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Primrodo
@Jan 3 2006, 11:34 AM

[snapback]1149662[/snapback]​

Actually back in 78 when Superman was made Pa Kent was dead in the comics (so was Ma). It's only in Post-Crisis continuity that he's alive.
[snapback]1150687[/snapback]​
[/b]

Thank you John Byrne. :D I miss his work on Supes.

I gotta say it
I'm eating my words here

After taking a second look at the Singer Supes casting choice and costume It's not so bad...

"What...???" you say

well, I ran across this James Carsons production artist portfolio while I was doing some digging around on another movie subject

and low and behold I found one of the concepts for a new Superman costume

after reading about all the infighting involved while superman was in production hell, and some of the ideas they had for reimagining superman all I can say is
Be very happy this didn't get the final approval...

http://home.earthlink.net/~jimtheviking/_wsn/page3.html

And what's with the wires coming out of his head???

"and low and behold I found one of the concepts for a new Superman costume"

god i hate that design...at least the routh costume looks like superman...you might not like the details...but you can instantly tell who he's supposed to be...skott

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back