Styrene Vs. Sintra

DeLorean12

Hey guys,
I was wondering what plastic is the best to use for general prop making, styrene or sintra?
Which is the most durable and which is easiest to work with?
Thanks!
:)

It would depend on what you intend to make.

Armor, styrene or ABS.
Boxy props can go either way.
If you use Sintra you will have to fill in the texture on the edges where it's been cut.
The stuff I used at the sign company I worked at 20+ years ago had a soft center that would get spongy when solvent glue was applied.

If you intend to layer sheets to build something like a blaster then Sintra would probably work better since it usually is thicker than Styrene, and you can laminate styrene in the outside for finer detailing.

Styrene is easier to shape with heat.
Hot water. heat gun, vac-forming.

Thanks for the response.
The props I plan on making are all very "boxy".
I feel I might end up using styrene, due to the smoother cut edges.

There are different grades and densities of "Sintra" The stuff I am used to using sands just fine on the edges and is wonderful to work with. I recently got with a local plastics supplier for sign companies and picked up a 4x8 sheet of the same stuff, but another brand and it's noticibly softer and has more porous edges like Division 6 mentioned. Expanded closed cell poly vinyl chloride "Sintra" will dent and gouge easier than styrene too, so if the item is going to be handled a lot, like at conventions and such, it may get beat up easier. A lot of prop makers like using Sintra for their master that they will be molding because it is so easy to work with. Styrene is a little harder to cut and thicker sheets don't bend as easy, but it's generally more durable. I hope this helps !

WeaselHammer, great info! The props that I plan to make will remain stationary. I want them to be firm and keep their shape. Thanks again, you input has definitely helped.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back