San Diego Comic-Con 2014 SDCC

I must of missed I am assuming they do not let you volunteer in costume and you keep it let's say in your or a friend's car/hotel room. once they release you, you then go change into it? Let me know if I am right on wrong on this assumption
Yes, they do let you volunteer in costume - depending on the costume. The general rule is that if your costume is not a distraction to your volunteer work, it's ok. If you have a "professional" costume where everybody is asking to take your picture, then it will have to be removed until your shift is over. If you're a distraction, you can't do your job well. Last year during one of my shifts, there were several people in costume. They weren't "show stopping" costumes, and they were allowed to do their shift with no issues. One person had on a Minecraft like box helmet that he took off during the shift. Hope that helps.

Yes, they do let you volunteer in costume - depending on the costume. The general rule is that if your costume is not a distraction to your volunteer work, it's ok. If you have a "professional" costume where everybody is asking to take your picture, then it will have to be removed until your shift is over. If you're a distraction, you can't do your job well. Last year during one of my shifts, there were several people in costume. They weren't "show stopping" costumes, and they were allowed to do their shift with no issues. One person had on a Minecraft like box helmet that he took off during the shift. Hope that helps.

When it has to be removed do they store it in a room for you, or like ask you to put it in your car/hotel room? Just curious as I was thinking about volunteering in my ghostbusters costume but as the pack is really well made might get a lot of ppl asking me for pics and what not.

So let's say your volunteer time is from 1-4. First you congregate at a staging area on the first floor. They get you lined up according to the area you're assigned to. They walk your group to that area. Once in that area, you're split up according to their needs. You may be with 1 or 2 other volunteers, or some staff members. It's at that time when you would likely take off your pack, and anything else that's fancy so you can not be a distraction. When I was with the Minecraft guy, he was told to put his helmet to the side during work. It was always in sight, but there wasn't a closet or store room to put his stuff in either the staging area, or at our work location.

When you arrive at the convention, you can ask what they'd like you to do with your costume during your volunteer time. Your costume is much nicer than Minecraft guy, so they might tell you something different. They're very accomodating and want everyone to have a good time, but they won't turn you away if you're willing to not be a spectacle during your work time.

Just about 24 hours until chaos ensues. Cue the happy and extremely angry posts. Good luck to everyone trying to get tickets tomorrow.

Yeah, well see if all the load testing claimed to be done was indeed done.
Three of us are trying together since three is the max you can buy at once.
Our strategy is to have the first of the three of us to get in purchase for the other two.
OH, and keep an eye on the twitter buzz or anywhere else, since there always has been
a trick or two that could make the difference.

Stupid question does pre registration only work if you bought badges for last year, or does pre registration get you a spot in the line for badges and such?

Yep. This is for people that had badges last year. And you get put in the virtual line randomly. So no guarantees. Later they will do the people without badges.

Waiting....30 minutes or so to go. Good luck to anyone else who is trying to get badges.

Remember, if you don't get what you want today, you can also try when they do the "open to the public" sale later one.

Is there any idea what kind of percentage of tickets when to pre-registered sales? Going over SDCC FB page, and it looks like they sold out of Friday and Saturday passes inside of 90 minutes.

So now does this mean that for open registration, all those people who bought pre-registration tickets that didn't get all 4 days will be in line with everyone else to buy the tickets they didn't get to complete their 4 day passes? How does that in any way lessen the load of the servers during open registration?
Conceivably, those poor souls could find themselves waiting hours and hours on two separate occasions to find out they still can't get the tickets they wanted, even though they did everything right. That's gotta suck.

Also the randomization of your place in line didn't care when you logged in, so now when open registration happens, will the servers be able to handle everyone logging in at the last possible minute? Why wait for the window to open if it didn't matter if you were there at 7am or 8:59am? It just seems like they still have no idea how to manage ticket sales and they really need to move into a larger venue.

Signed...Bitter guy who couldn't go last year, and may not get to go this year either. :cry

I think I need to give up on the idea and just focus on making it to DragonCon instead.

I need Preview Night and Saturday. Manage to only get Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Even though i was there from the start at 7! Waited over a hour just to get my tickets. I guess it was random since my buddy got in 35 mins before me and we logged on the same time.

I need Preview Night and Saturday. Manage to only get Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Even though i was there from the start at 7! Waited over a hour just to get my tickets. I guess it was random since my buddy got in 35 mins before me and we logged on the same time.

Yes it was a randomly generated place in the virtual line.

We just had three people try and whoever got in first bought for the other two so that worked for us.
I stayed in to see what would happen and nothing but Sunday was left by the time I got in.

That's really the best way to do it, if the numbers work out. Three people works perfectly, since the max anyone could buy was three.

I got in around 7:15, got my chance to purchase at about 10:10. The only thing that was gone was PN, so I was able to get what I wanted, Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back