is the actual Flash Gordon serials' filming miniature on ebay?

phase pistol

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Could it be real? I won’t post a link but it should be easy to find. Anybody have any info?

Karl

flash-gordon-zarkhov-just-imagine-ship.JPG

This is an original movie prop -
NOT a copy or reproduction.

Guaranteed 100% Authentic

This aluminum rocket ship model was first used in the Fox Films feature Just Imagine (1930). Universal Pictures later acquired the life-sized model, as well as the miniatures, and used them as Zarkov's rocket ship in the Flash Gordon serials (1936, 1938 and 1940), starring Buster Crabbe, Jean Rogers and Priscilla Lawson. This basic shape was used throughout, though slight modifications were made over time.

This original miniature was used by Fox Films and Universal Pictures in the 1930's. The model would have been swung through the air and brought to life with sparklers, smoke and added sound effects! It features a heavy, aluminum body and a door that folds down into stairs. It is clearly stamped "UNIVERSAL MOVING PICTURES" and "PROPERTY OF FOX FILMS CORPORATION 249".

It can be taken apart into two sections, as shown in the photos. The FOX FILMS stamp dates it back to the time period of Just Imagine (1930).

Approximate Dimensions
Tip of nose to tail: 18"
Wingspan: 8-1/4"

Condition: Excellent condition! Please see the photos for additional details and the most accurate description of its condition.

Karl, this was discussed on the MPF some time ago and it looks like (from what I can remember of that thread) that's it's not a genuine screen used model, rather a later studio copy. (details near the cockpit don't even match what's in this area on the screen used FLASH GORDON model)

Hope it'll help !

Fred

There was briefly a thread about this in the screenused forum but quickly disappeared; don't know the reason. I had expressed doubt simply because of the ID stamps in it---just didn't seem like something that would be done to something to be used on screen, at least not in such visible places. Looked to me like something someone would do to an item to give it a "studio flair". But just my hunch.

This thing pops up from time to time - being offered via eBay or to one of the auction houses. While it presents itself as a nice representation of the Flash Gordon (actually "Just Imagine") ship, most signs point to it being a nicely made replica, with only a few pointing to authentic prop (or "later studio copy").

Yeah it's of a general size that lends itself to filming. And it looks like "one of those" ships (though people have pointed out differences in the details.) But it's made out of aluminum castings - that seems odd and overkill, even for the 30's. And those castings appear far too clean to be 80+ years old, unless someone took to getting it blasted and polished up.

While I can see a studio adding a badge (via rivets or glue), or even stamping an inventory number into a prop with a die, in this case the Universal Pictures "badge" appears integral with the fin (ie: it was part of the casting of that part). Don't see that happening.

Profiles has handled a couple of similar ships/props from older serials (40's, 50's) and I've seen them in person. The are made out of more traditional materials - wood, fiberglass, brass/copper/steel. Not polished cast aluminum. And to say that it had to be made out of aluminum to withstand the sparklers - that doesn't wash in my book.

I've yet to see any proof on the seller's part that this is the real thing beyond the studio badges (and I'm instantly suspicious of those). I need a story as to where they got it from, who they got it from, etc. I'd also like to see some photos from the 30's "Flash Gordon" or "Just Imagine" of the real models being filmed. There are shots of the cityscape miniature from "Just Imagine" being worked on to give you an idea of scale. But this ship, as iconic as it became in its "Flash Gordon" guise, only plays a passing role in "Just Imagine". (I saw the film on the big screen here in L.A. recently. It is damn near unwatchable. The FX shots are few and far between and the story, writing style, and acting are all firmly rooted in a bygone era....... The film was something of a dud and it's little wonder that Fox unloaded the props/miniatures to another studio to cover the costs......)

Which now begs the question - What is this thing? Who made it?

Gene

I just placed a $1 best offer on this just for ****s and giggles. It had 2 previous offers. Curious to see what happens. This should be fun.:D:thumbsup

It's back up at eBay like a bad rash returning. There is no way that the original was made out of aluminum like this. Certainly not with the fin embossed with the studio logo either. That studio logo looks cast into the fin as would be done for a replica item. This smacks of a prototype that was made for possible sale or presentation to investors before it would make its run for sale to the public. Up on eBay for $175,000. Ha! What idiot would pay them that with no provenence on it. Just this heresy stuff that they put in their description. For $5,000 you could get someone to do a CNC milling of one that is more accurate.

The thing I've wondered about this (not a) prop is why does the riveted on plate say "Fox Films Corporation" when it was Fox Film (no S) Corporation that distributed Just Imagine.

Okay. I know the answer is because its a fake, but that's a pretty bad mistake to make if you're going to try and pawn something like this off as real.

Problem is, if the person who buys this at an inflated price finds out the truth, there will be lawyers knocking at the seller's door. If someone has the money to buy that they sure as heck have a lawyer that can take the seller out of commission.

Since this thing first popped up, I've been trying to do some detective work to figure what it is, and failing that, find out what the "real" props were like.

I went through the photo files for both "Just Imagine" and the "Flash"/"Buck" serials over at the Academy in the hopes that I'll find a behind-the-scenes photo of them working on the model. Came up with zilch. Calls are in to other studios, but they tend to stray away from the prop verification game. We'll see.

I did run into a gentleman whose father was the Art Director on one of the serials. He claims to have had one of the original models hanging above his bed as a kid, "back then." He recalls that they were about 15" long and made of wood with some tin (which I had long suspected). No photos of said rocket though - so he could be talking about one of the later ships.

I've also corresponded with the people trying to sell the prop. They've heard all the chatter and they are looking to prove their story - that it was part of a collector's purchase at a studio auction, etc. They didn't obtain the ship from that collector directly though - there was some sort of third party. That makes me feel like they were taken by the thing (and the story) as well and are just passing along what they've heard.

Personally, I feel we have more proof debunking the story than they do supporting it. But absent of some sort of photographic proof, we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Gene

Necro bump.....
So this seller is still at it all these years later.
It showed up on Pawn Stars last night. Of course the expert brought in called it "fake" due to all the inaccuracies with wording on the badges.

This is like a bad penny that just keeps showing up :lol

Yep that thing is still out there, and boy did Rick get hosed at the Auction or what! :lol

Good to see him get knocked down a peg, I bet the old man is still whipping his......

Well- this is my first entry about my first love- Flash Gordon Movies. AUniversal Rocket Display.jpgs you've all correctly pointed out, the ship's features are wrong, the biggest one being- the rivets.
No rivets on the real deal. This photo was taken in the mid 80's at a universal studios tour by a friend of mine who knew I loved the movies. I guessing the rocket was "remade" for the exhibit- hence the markings under the ship.

Last edited:
Well- this is my first entry about my first love- Flash Gordon Movies. AView attachment 573589s you've all correctly pointed out, the ship's features are wrong, the biggest one being- the rivets.
No rivets on the real deal. This photo was taken in the mid 80's at a universal studios tour by a friend of mine who knew I loved the movies. I guessing the rocket was "remade" for the exhibit- hence the markings under the ship.
And here's a closeup. The door is too close to the "ring of tubes" around the ship...Zarkov ship.png

From the strong evidence presented it is very likely a replica. There is also no trail of ownership back to people involved with the original series. Another big warning sign. The seller of this is pleading ignorance on some key points...another huge warning sign. Finally, the seller paid a huge amount for this and seems to be trying to recoup the loss in the face of evidence they may have been sold an expensive replica that was wrongly portrayed as original. Which actually puts the current owner and seller at risk of being sued for fraud now since they seem to be portraying it as an original screen used studio model and not a replica display model as it seems to be.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back