Texas Annual Prop Party D/FW

I'm in Spring, just north of Houston, so I'm interested. I'd like to meet some people from around this area and make some new friends.

I'm not a big drinker though, and when I'm driving I don't touch it as it's been so long for me, that I'll probably be blotto after just a pint.

Steve

I vote for March 17 (sat) it's the weekend of Dallas Comic Con Fan day (Sat & Sun).

There's all Con going on that same weekend too. I was thinking of attending both cons and maybe a prop party too and making a fun filled weekend.

Nick

I'll agree to host it.

I don't really want to do it the weekend of a con. I wouldn't much mind missing All-Con as it doesn't look to be coming together very well this year. The Scifi Expo fan days aren't ever that great. If All-Con were still 25 minutes away, it would be far easier to do both the party and the con. As is, it is an hour away now. We could likely have it at All-Con, but I don't know that that would be as much fun as at a home.

If we do end up having it that weekend, we should talk about when we intend to visit the cons and when we intend to have the party. Know that many of All-con's events are in the evenings. They've had belly dancing, Rocky Horror (Friday) and Moulin Rouge (Saturday) shadowcasting, mystery theater dinners, stand-up comedians, and a burlesque show.

The following weekend, March 23-25, would be even less than desireable to me because that is the horror con. I want to be there for the majority of that event. This is only the second local area horror con and the last was tremendous fun. Details can be found here: http://www.txfearfest.com/

I'd prefer March 31st or even into April.

I'll be at the Con in March. It'll actually be my first "real" convention to go to. I can't wait to meet some fellow RPF'ers.. :) The prop party sounds FUN..

Jhusel

Why not have this at All-Con? The con is being held in Addison this year, which is more central. Plus, you could get a room and set it for the prop party. There's a bar, plus it'll be St. Patrick's Day, so it should be fun.

Also, the con has set up a discount for 501st members, if anyone is a member.

Marc

Here are the reasons I don't want it to be during a con. Cons have plenty going on without us. If it were a regular Scifi Expo, then it would be over by 5 pm. Still plenty of time for having a party. My first party, I arranged it to be after a Scifi Expo. Guess how many showed up? Four. There were two dozen at my house the time it wasn't after a con. There were that many at eaviii's last year and it was not during a con.

All-Con is not Scifi Expo and goes until 2:00 am with quite a diversity of functions with many of the best functions late at night. That means that there will be none of what I like about prop parties. That is, there insular nature: just a group of us hobbyists talking and getting to know each other. Add a con and that experience is diluted. Also, it adds to the difficulties. There will be non-hobbyists there without our regard for the rarity and cost of our props. I imagine we might be able to get a closed room, of course that is just speculation. I don't know the organizers, just that they seem to be permissable to most requests. Many of the rooms the previous years were closed when events weren't held.

Many prop party attendees have to leave early because of kids or long drives home and often leave after 6:00pm. That leaves us core guys who like to drink and party and have accomodations for the evening. Well, at All-Con, unless one of us has a room, then we'll be forced to drink at the hotel bar which is expensive and a reduced selection.

Add to that, that All-Con is now twice as far away from my house (close to an hour), and it makes it more difficult to do the house thing then All-Con or All-Con then the house thing.

If it has to be centered around All-Con, then here is how I'd like to see it. Go to All-Con Friday or Sunday or both. Don't attend it at all Saturday. Maybe go to the free Fan Day of Scifi expo for an hour or two Saturday morning, I hear Ernie Hudson and Morena Bacarin were just added. Usually an hour is enough on free fan days. Have the party start around 2:00 or 3:00 Saturday at my house. Anyone that wants can leave my house in time for Saturday night's events at All-Con. The rest of us party all night.

Again, I'd prefer it were another weekend. I'd just like to see as many be able to attend as possible. All-Con has always been pretty small. I believe alcohol is largely the reason I have such a good time at them. Of course, the guests play a part in that. When they party and spend time at the hotel bar, its a lot more fun than when they don't. Many of the guests have been that way, but you can't count on it. Last year, Jay (Captain Typho) was a large part of the hilarity of the event. While most of the con goers were at the shadowcast of Moulin Rouge, Jay (last name spelling?) entertained us by telling raunchy jokes and playing humourous ditties on his acoustic guitar. He even got some women to go topless. Also, the hotel room after parties are kind of fun though many people are trashed by that point usually.

I've never Attended any of the Con's here in DFW other than the SciFi Expo in Plano so I can't add any insite on them. I do agree with evan that a party on a weekend that is not a "Con" weekend would probably be better for the majority that usually gets together. However, if you do it on a Weekend with a Con, I think it makes it easier on those who are coming in from out of town...two birds with one stone, so to speak. On the other hand, a party on weekend when there is nothing going on would give us more time to hang out and drink whiskey. :rolleyes
I will be out of town the wekend of Feb. 17, and looks like Mar. 17th as well... possibly even Mar 24th. If we can steer clear of those dates I'd be great. (not like I have a lot of new stuff to show off though...but still wanna go)

pj

I may be in the minority, but there are those folks (like myself) who don't travel all that much but would be down for a convention weekend, that would love a prop party the same weekend. I probably wouldn't travel 9 hours for a prop party, but would for a Convention weekend AND prop party.

Just my 2 cents.

Jhusel

I don't like attending cons much, so I'm good either way. I have the kids during spring break, though, so that's a consideration for any parents in the march time frame.

I'll bring the Patron & Cognac.

Edited to add: Who had the MGC E11 a few years ago? I'd like to see that again.

Evan,

So it looks like March 17, if not I guess it will have to wait until April or later since you'll be busy for Fearfest at the end of March

I'll be up in Dallas for the weekend of march 16,17,18 for both conventions anyway so I'm good for anytime except on April 27~29.

Just wanted to let you guys know there's a cool Anime convention going on April 27~29 in Houston.

http://animematsuri.com/index.html

Any RPF members interested in attending please let me know... it's good venue to just hang out.

Nick

I wouldn't be able to make it in March at all, so I might have to wait until April or later, as well.

God, I hate living in Corpus Christi.

I'll be in Indianapolis visiting my brother from March 10-15. Don't think I'll actually make it home until the seventeenth or so. :unsure

I'll just have to wait and see, I suppose.

I am easy when it comes to the date, but we should firm something up. Keep in mind that if Wuher's hosting it only seems logical he has final say.

Yeah, but I have to have some idea of what works for the most people. It looks like we're still leaning towards the con weekend. I just don't know how we're likely to work it around All-Con.

I'm cool with April too. Houston is cool in April too, I need an excuse to see my closest old high school friend in Galveston.

I'll be in L.A. for C4 in May. I know I've had an invite to Soonercon in Norman, Oklahoma in June for a prop related event. Everyone should take note of that too.

Crap I lived in Norman, Ok almost all my life and nothing ever happen, now I move to Galveston, Tx and it becomes a con hot spot.......Prop Maker ..... my wife and I go to Corpus about every 3 months. We are thinking about moving there once our lease is up here in Galveston.....of course it all depends on jobs and housing.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back