Silicone mask making

C1RCA

hello there

i'm want to know once i finish my sculpt and make my mold do i add coats and coats of silicone to make the mask or make a resin copy from the mold and apply silicone that way ?

I don't know all the process, but I believe the mask is formed by injecting the silicone in the a mould that also contains a 'former' which would either be a life cast or a generic head shape. This then creates a 'skin' that has the positive mask on the outside, and the negative head shape on the inside. That way, when you put the mask on it fits snuggly so the silicone moves with your face. I imagine you also need to sculpt over the life cast too.

https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/videos# At the time I post this they have 50% off sale. Enjoy. You can preview them to see if they have what you want.
I recommend:
To create the life cast:
How to Life Cast
For Sculpting:
Character Design I and II
Sculpture Techniques
To bridge sculpting and mask making:
Character Makeup Sculpting
To create the mold for casting:
Making and Ultracal 30 Stone Mold

Now, these don't cover making a mask explicitly but they all have information that will be helpful. I'm getting Making a Monster Suit during this sale as I think there may be a fair bit of actual casting in this video.

How to Make a Mask I & II may help you, but he makes a mask that gets strapped on, which doesn't sound like what you want.

Monster Makers has a great little e-book for sculpting and casting. They also offer latex for making masks. Their latex is what I'm going to get for my first mask. They have some instructional videos, but I can't speak to their content.

Ignore the music (if you can). He goes over slush casting with latex and silicone. I'd been lead to believe you couldn't slush cast with silicone, which seemed odd to me because there are brushable silicones. You have to be careful about what silicone you get. I understand tin-cure silicones can be toxic to humans. Latex shrinks (general rule of thumb seems to be 5-10%) so you have to sculpt that in.

This is another good video of slush casting with latex. Alex the Movie Geek has a pretty good video for making a latex Batman Cowl on the cheap.

Silicone is more expensive than latex, which is why I'm going to make mine with Latex first. That way I can make mistakes with the cheaper material, then make new mistakes with the more expensive one. As someone who was (and still is) in your boat I think someone who's done this for years should sticky some stuff like this. I've probably provided you with some bad information, so make sure you research and verify everything I've written. Peace and good luck.

I'm working on sculpting a Green Goblin mask myself, and once the sculpt is finished, my plan is to make a flexible polyurethane rubber mould with a urethane resin shell. Then I'd pour and slush the silicone inside the hollow mould until I get a thickness I like.

If you pour silicone over your sculpt you'll just end up losing the detail you spent all that time sculpting in. Hard edges become rounded off, etc.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back