The Rocket from "Objectif Lune" and "On a Marche Sur La Lune" (Tintin)

Archive&Future

Sr Member
Since I was quite young I've been a big fan of Tintin; just recently our city library had a small batch of diecast rockets in stock (£110 each!!), but I didn't have enough money to snap one up. As such, I've decided to make my own rocket from scratch, depicting a scene from "On a Marche Sur La Lune" (Explorers on the Moon).

So first things first, I've worked out the scale. I've calculated that to make it in 1:144 scale, it will be around 340mm tall, the reason I'm doing it on 1:144 is that I want to make the Moon Tank that goes with it.

Could anybody give me some suggestions as to what 1:144 scale tank kit(s) I could use to make the Moon Tank?

moontank.jpg

moontank2.jpg

Ordinarily I would sift through the ModelZone site, but that's completely down now.
Thanks in advance, and stay tuned!

The running gear looks similar to a British 'Centurion' tank.
Get one for the running gear and scratch build the rest.

Not too sure if there's a kit of it in 1/144 though...

Jim

The running gear looks similar to a British 'Centurion' tank.
Get one for the running gear and scratch build the rest.

Not too sure if there's a kit of it in 1/144 though...

Jim

Thanks! I'll head down to the local shop and see what they have.

Rpf member wasili made the rocket a few years back
http://www.therpf.com/f11/tintin-moonrocket-3-5ft-high-65262/

I looked through the thread and wept tears of joy, if mine turns out even 1/10th as beautiful as that I would be over the moon (no pun intended)
Thank you very very much!

If you made it 1:100 scale you could use a Zvezda Panzer III. They are half the price of 1:144 scale tanks (at least the ones I've seen).

If you made it 1:100 scale you could use a Zvezda Panzer III. They are half the price of 1:144 scale tanks (at least the ones I've seen).

Hmm, that sounds promising. The reason that I went with 1:144 is because 1:72 wouldn't fit anywhere in my room, but after working it out, 1:100 ought to. I'll look into both suggestions and see how it goes!

Just to prove that this isn't going to be a dead-end project, I've whipped up some 1:100 blueprints (well...half blue prints)

tumblr_mqtgha6J611rvpchho1_500.jpg

I found some 1:100 scale Panzers on ebay for like...less than £3 or something, dirt cheap; so I'll order a couple of those soon and start scratching the moon tank

Someone did an RC moon tank from a Pershing (in french) :
Maquettisme, figurines, musique ...: Le char lunaire de Tintin
https://plus.google.com/photos/106842221680672036882/albums/5675702051849578385?banner=pwa

Another one in the studying for a scratch (again in french) : Les Aventures de Tintin :: Le char lunaire
Browse all the 6 pages, there are blueprints, detailed maps of parts (pages 4 & 5) and even a Google skectup model on page 2
it seems that the pershing is the solution for the body, but the tracks are too large (page 4).

You can also try "char lunaire" (moon tank in french) on Google

Someone did an RC moon tank from a Pershing (in french) :
Maquettisme, figurines, musique ...: Le char lunaire de Tintin
https://plus.google.com/photos/106842221680672036882/albums/5675702051849578385?banner=pwa

Another one in the studying for a scratch (again in french) : Les Aventures de Tintin :: Le char lunaire
Browse all the 6 pages, there are blueprints, detailed maps of parts (pages 4 & 5) and even a Google skectup model on page 2
it seems that the pershing is the solution for the body, but the tracks are too large (page 4).

You can also try "char lunaire" (moon tank in french) on Google

Fantastic links there Cabour! A goldmine of reference.
I've found a little tank model in my kitbash box, I can't tell what scale it is, the figures are smaller than 1:72, but the tank is very very small....it has the same kind of running tracks as the moon tank. I'm going to tinker around with it today and see what I can do, how it pairs up with scale of the rocket.

Thank you again!

So I found that tank and started working into it.
First, I lopped off the slope at the back

tumblr_mqwwdtVBRn1rvpchho4_500.jpg

Added wheels (from all sorts of kits, I must have used up the original ones this came with) and styrene skirting

tumblr_mqwwdtVBRn1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Then bulked out the underside, spade added to the side

tumblr_mqwwdtVBRn1rvpchho3_500.jpg

tumblr_mqwwdtVBRn1rvpchho2_500.jpg

Curved styrene makes up the front, 5mm LEDs were used for the bubble cockpits

tumblr_mqwwhzCvSL1rvpchho1_500.jpg

It really is tiny!

tumblr_mqwwhzCvSL1rvpchho2_500.jpg

Upper deck was made from styrene, forward floodlight added

tumblr_mqwwhzCvSL1rvpchho3_500.jpg

Vinyl, etched brass and kitbashed details were added. Cockpits masked

tumblr_mqwworsYbN1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mqwworsYbN1rvpchho2_500.jpg

Primed

tumblr_mqwworsYbN1rvpchho4_500.jpg

Basecoat

tumblr_mqwworsYbN1rvpchho3_500.jpg

Aaaand more to come later!

i think the styrene upper parts should probably be beveled in more, based on the pictures in the first post....it's sort of like the tank should be converging at the top, and the box part is just a bit too wide. you're getting close! ;)

i think the styrene upper parts should probably be beveled in more, based on the pictures in the first post....it's sort of like the tank should be converging at the top, and the box part is just a bit too wide. you're getting close! ;)

Yeah I know right :( my moon tank is waaay inaccurate, it's too tall and doesn't have enough wheels, there are loads of issues with it BUT seeing as it's mainly there to (hopefully) complement the rocket, I'm not too worried

I gave it a deep blue wash, and a sky blue drybrush to bring out details. Smaller details like the tools were picked out, and the wheels were painted in a grey/gunmetal mix. I'm gonna call this done

tumblr_mqx64cmByn1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mqx64cmByn1rvpchho2_500.jpg

tumblr_mqx64cmByn1rvpchho3_500.jpg

Construction on the rocket should start within the next couple of weeks

Rodger and I finally got hold of a lathe (for a mere £47 no less, in entirely perfect condition including tools :D )

A couple of months ago I glued 3 layers of kitchen work surface together, and planed off the edges. We had to cut it down a little more to fit on the lathe, but then we had all sorts of issues with balance and the lathe wobbling about all over the place (don't laugh...we're new to this)
We spent a couple of hours correctly setting up the lathe, bolting it to the bench and then cutting the block down to the correct 75mm diameter, and finally squaring off the ends

tumblr_n5ku75tK6Y1sf4tb1o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5ku75tK6Y1sf4tb1o2_1280.jpg

Even the plate is technically too big, at 105mm. Here is the correct diameter of 75mm, you can see how much we needed to take off

tumblr_n5ku75tK6Y1sf4tb1o5_1280.jpg

Having it with a squared profile still gave us balance issues

tumblr_n5ku75tK6Y1sf4tb1o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n5ku75tK6Y1sf4tb1o6_1280.jpg

So we angled the table saw to 45 and created an octagonal profile

tumblr_n5ku75tK6Y1sf4tb1o4_1280.jpg

Here's Rodge taking the profile down

tumblr_n5ku75tK6Y1sf4tb1o7_1280.jpg

Then I spent half an hour creating the beginning of the nose cone

tumblr_n5ku75tK6Y1sf4tb1o8_1280.jpg

And after that I had to pop off to work, so that's as far as I am for now

Glad it's continuing; like the tank btw...and as a Belgian (lived not far from Hergé's resting place) it's nice to see someone taking on that rocket:)

Thanks Joberg, it's such an iconic rocket I don't know why we haven't seen more builds! I'd love to build it bigger than 1:100 scale, but I think the largest scale we could fit on the lathe might be 1:80? 1:72 is too big for the lathe by a mere 3" :(

Late reply from my side, but thanx for the kind words. I had a lot of fun building mine. I've build a few since the 90's (different techniques and materials), but there is something timeless and instantly recognizable about the shape and colorpattern.

Love the work your doing, and can't wait to see the final result.

Cheers,
Wasili

WELL, I've goofed up a little and also forgot to take many documentation photographs so bear with me on this update.

I turned the wood down to the profile I'd made according to my blueprints....however it looked way way too long and narrow SO I turned 40mm worth of length off.....judged it by eye :facepalm
I realised my mistake and Rodger and I evened it out to match the diameter of a 31mm hole saw

tumblr_n6x83aPpHZ1sf4tb1o3_250.jpg

Then we took a 50mm fencing support, cut it down, squared it off, drilled the 31mm hole, then whacked it onto the rocket with a lot of PVA

tumblr_n6x83aPpHZ1sf4tb1o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n6x83aPpHZ1sf4tb1o2_1280.jpg

While that was happening, I drew out the wing profile on a slab of wood, cut it out and copied it onto paper templates. As you can see (or ...not...see) I didn't take any photos

tumblr_n6x83aPpHZ1sf4tb1o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n6x83aPpHZ1sf4tb1o7_1280.jpg

The wing is thinner on the 'bell' side than the rocket side, and I'm TRYING to get a teardrop profile but so far all I've managed is rounded edges. Anyway, using that same 50mm fencing support we cut 3 lengths to turn to make the landing bells

tumblr_n6x83aPpHZ1sf4tb1o5_1280.jpg

I made one but screwed up....it snapped and flew off the lathe. It isn't such a nice wood as the kitchen countertop used for the fuselage

tumblr_n6x83aPpHZ1sf4tb1o6_1280.jpg

I don't know if you can see it, but there's a line in the middle of the block at the bottom. That's where I'll be cutting it off at, not too short, not too long

I'm on 12 weeks of holiday now, so expect updates soon!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back