Skyrim Dragonplate Armor

I agree with Ciano on the brush-strokes. Bone normally has a "wood-grain-like" texture anyways so you in fact have the perfect texture right there without having to do anything else!

Does the pep warp at all during your slush cast or does it hold up on its own without a mother mold? This technique looks like a very nice compromise between pep and making positives out of MDF or clay or something, I'm excited to see how it turns out for all your other pieces.

I agree with Ciano on the brush-strokes. Bone normally has a "wood-grain-like" texture anyways so you in fact have the perfect texture right there without having to do anything else!

Does the pep warp at all during your slush cast or does it hold up on its own without a mother mold? This technique looks like a very nice compromise between pep and making positives out of MDF or clay or something, I'm excited to see how it turns out for all your other pieces.

The pep seemed to hold together pretty well, but this had a lot of tabs per area, so it's more substantial than normal sparse-data pep. The shape also helps, with the many flanges.

Sanding them down seems to dull the surface a lot- less reflection, less glossiness. In person it seems to help a lot.

100_0446.JPG by makingawesome, on Flickr

This is sanded, with some marks added to show where the metal strip should be, a rivet, and where the grain should be biased in different directions.

Built the vambracer, left, in pepakura

100_0455.JPG by makingawesome, on Flickr

Taped it a bit tighter, because we're ectomorphic. Marked intended brush stroke/ bone grain direction.

100_0459.JPG by makingawesome, on Flickr

One layer of silicone sealant- critical mistake here.

100_0460.JPG by makingawesome, on Flickr

Slarshed it up. Around 6 layers. After I deplete my smoothcast 300 supply I'll try some 65D.

100_0461.JPG by makingawesome, on Flickr

At this point I let it all cool down and harden up, then tried to peel away the pepakura. It was pretty much not happening- the silicone layer was too thin to hold together, stretching and tearing up in small bits instead of pulling the rest of the 'sheet' off with it. So, I waterlogged the cardstock and started scraping it off.

100_0462.JPG by makingawesome, on Flickr

100_0463.JPG by makingawesome, on Flickr

After a while- hour or so- it was mostly plastic.

100_0464.JPG by makingawesome, on Flickr

It needs sanding now. The raised metal bracketing on the forearm is supposed to be a little biased to one side.

loving this thread, always wanted to do the dragon armour but i dont have the time. the details are looking great and i cant wait to see it done!

This build is looking epic so far. And I definitely need to try your way of slush casting the pieces. I hate resin and bondo with a passion.

Have you tried any more slush-cast pieces, if so have you found out the right thickness of silicone to get it to peel off cleanly?

Watching this thread like a hawk, keep up the good work!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back