Empty Child character from Doctor Who

TheLiberator

Hello!
I was thinking about making a cosplay based on Doctor Who episode: Empty Child. I was hoping that you can help me in my first cosplay. I want some advices in which gas mask i can buy and remodel to looks like British Civilian Gas Mask from IIWW, or where could buy one in reasonable price.
Here are some screens that will help you identify mask :)

the-empty-child.jpg
s1_09_wal_15.jpg

I was also thinking about 1980 version of Empty Child character. I have MC-1 mask. Here is some pictures of it:

Mc1_6_002.jpg
Mc1_3_001.jpg

I'm going to paint it on black, in absorber i'll put little speaker to play Empty Child voice from movie, which will freaks out people.

So my another question is, which one cosplay will be better, regular or 1980 version??

I will be very greatfull for any help :)

Last edited:
Not sure which to use or where to get one, but I thought I'd pass on a notice I spotted. The period masks that the screen prop was based on (but not made out of) routinely were made using asbestos, it is dangerous to wear these masks since they are old and most likely cracking, causing the asbestos to be released. If you search for it you can find people talking about what masks should be used instead I believe.

Not sure which to use or where to get one, but I thought I'd pass on a notice I spotted. The period masks that the screen prop was based on (but not made out of) routinely were made using asbestos, it is dangerous to wear these masks since they are old and most likely cracking, causing the asbestos to be released. If you search for it you can find people talking about what masks should be used instead I believe.

Thanks for advice Gibbtall. i was thinking about buying gasmask from Israel. But my second thought was i could buy readily available in my country polish gas mask MC-1(shown in the first post) and remodel it to look like modern version of Empty Child character.
I was thinking about it, because i could gather my friends who also interested in Doctor Who and arrange the march on next year fantasy convention.

What do you think about it?

If I remember correctly, period masks couldn't be used because they contained asbestos, and also because the eyeglasses were too wide for the child actor. Instead the prop department whipped up their own masks, using baked bean tins and the eyeglasses from Russian gas masks.

which will freaks out people.
Yes, this would freak me out.

As people have said don't use an old mask, use a new mask.
Also if you have never worn one they can be claustrophobic and you can get dehydrated quickly.

Other than that :thumbsup look forward to seeing the results.

Yes, this would freak me out.

As people have said don't use an old mask, use a new mask.
Also if you have never worn one they can be claustrophobic and you can get dehydrated quickly.

Other than that :thumbsup look forward to seeing the results.

Sorry for my bad english xD

I have worn one and i don't feel claustrophobic, but i will remember to drink a lot when i want to wear gasmask ;p

Also, i will gather materials for making masks. So be patient and wait for the photos.

Hello!
It's been a while since I wrote last time, but I thought everything about cosplay.
To cosplay I will probably make two masks, one inspired episode Empty Child(1) and mask similar to the original from the episode(2). This is my first cosplay, so I want find out if I can handle it. Please therefore also about your opinions. :D

To make a mask No. 1 will use a mask MC-1 visible in the picture:
View attachment 214212

Mask No.1 already bought, so in the next posts I will put pictures on the progress of my work.

As far as the mask No. 2, I thought to use a mask BRITISH Gas mask M40 and Israeli Gas Mask.

Another thing is the cosplay outfit. I thought about it, to put a black suit, white shirt, tie and long white doctor's smock.

Waiting for your comments and suggestions about suit and masks ;)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back