New 10th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote

that pre-order link says you can 'Control your TV, iPod & other gadgets with mulitple gestures'

How would it control an iPod? I'm thinking they made a mistake as I don't know on any IR receiver on an ipod?

I'd say I'd be very interested in owning one if they did that, but you know why I'm not.

But the Smith also has a sliding tube. The claws are on the outside, Wand reps said they didn't make it extendable because of the electronics. I still say if they can do it with the Tennant version, they should take another look at the Smith design and try again.

that pre-order link says you can 'Control your TV, iPod & other gadgets with mulitple gestures'

How would it control an iPod? I'm thinking they made a mistake as I don't know on any IR receiver on an ipod?
There are some ipod docks that are remote controlled. I think that's what they were talking about.

I wonder if it can be modified to Jam mobile signals on public transport? Now that's the function I'd want on a Sonic. ;)The crackle looks very good in the photos, hope it looks good in the flesh. Like what they have done with the plug at the tip of the slider. No screws either, I wonder how it all holds together?
The crackle was painted by nick, as the molds for the grip are not done yet.

The crackle was painted by nick, as the molds for the grip are not done yet.

Interesting... Thanks for that. I had decided that if I was to buy this i'd wait to see it 'in the flesh'. I was stung once with the 1.1 screen accurate MFX version on pre-order. Not gonna happen again. Especially as this has already had a few mods from the original scan.

I'll wait for them, it will be good for some serious Geek points!

ThinkGeek has/had a weird thing where they have pre-order items up and have them marked as sold out. It seems like they're at least saying it's coming soon now.

You have to sign up to be alerted as to when they arrive to the warehouse, and then they put it up for sale. They did that with the 1:1 Portal gun. I happened to check my email at the right time and picked it up immediately because they sold out in something like 30 min. I don't think the remote will have an issue like that though.

Interesting... Thanks for that. I had decided that if I was to buy this i'd wait to see it 'in the flesh'. I was stung once with the 1.1 screen accurate MFX version on pre-order. Not gonna happen again. Especially as this has already had a few mods from the original scan.

Care to illuminate the mods from the original scan? :)

Last edited:

At comic con right now, and trust me, if they release this product like it is now, it will be worth every cent! :)
(Even though the finish will be moulded)

-will post pics after comic con :)

Last edited:
Yup, already did the email sign up. Will grab two as soon as it goes on sale. My daughter will want one and at this price, she can have one.

Any mods thay are making is to improve the sonic. No ugly flat head screws on the body holding it together. The button is a light rod that tells you where the battery charge is, etc. In my opinion (Which only matters to me) this is an improvement, though admittedly I am an 'idealized prop' kind of guy, over the wonks of a screen used piece.

Yup, already did the email sign up. Will grab two as soon as it goes on sale. My daughter will want one and at this price, she can have one.

Any mods thay are making is to improve the sonic. No ugly flat head screws on the body holding it together. The button is a light rod that tells you where the battery charge is, etc. In my opinion (Which only matters to me) this is an improvement, though admittedly I am an 'idealized prop' kind of guy, over the wonks of a screen used piece.

If he's talking about making the head symmetrical, and removing the set screws, then I am most CERTAINLY alright with that- actually, I would by far prefer that option. I agree- idealised props are certainly my cup of tea.

Just ordered mine from forbiddenplanet here in the UK. SO happy about this.
Absolutely ridiculous that the wand company can make something so incredible for such a reasonable price and no one else can even come close. I've been drooling over the images for days now after originally being worried that it was going to be permanently extended. Now all we need is for the BBC to put these guys in charge of replicas, then we can get a proper extending 11th without having to pay a few grand for it.

Just ordered mine from forbiddenplanet here in the UK. SO happy about this.
Absolutely ridiculous that the wand company can make something so incredible for such a reasonable price and no one else can even come close. I've been drooling over the images for days now after originally being worried that it was going to be permanently extended. Now all we need is for the BBC to put these guys in charge of replicas, then we can get a proper extending 11th without having to pay a few grand for it.

I've talked the Richard about that. Their license is only for remote controls, not replica props. What we have seen here is what they can do to make a 'replica' remote. At some point I would love to see them make a River Song sonic remote!

They definitely could and it would sell like hot cakes. I'd also love to see them do a laser screwdriver, especially since I never even grabbed the toy of that one. Their quality and price point is perfect. If they come out with more stuff, I'll keep throwing money at them. Make it rain.

Care to illuminate the mods from the original scan? :)

I 've no problem with the remove of the screws and the silver plug in the slider, I too prefer idealised replicas to screen acurate as long as it still has the feel. With the MFX Sonic we were shown great pre -release pictures that looked nothing like the replica that landed in our letterboxes. And that's why i'll be holding off.*

As for changes already apart from the ones above I've mentioned? Well have a look. The ridge shape and a larger top bevel have been changed, making it look more like the B prop and not DT's C prop. I just hope they don't keep on tweaking too much and it stays as the publicity pictures, as it looks very impressive for the money.

Looks like the one in the picture being 3D scanned to me. Not surprised as each of the filming props were hand made, so differences would be there.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back