The Old Republic Republic Commando Helmet

wedge86

After playing The Old Republic, I was surprised that I haven’t seen many helmets or armor sets from the game except for the Havoc armor from the game trailers. I’ve done some helmets in the past and thought I would attempt to recreate the helmet of my character from the video game.

Screenshot_2013-05-06_13_49_55_375125.jpg

Ultimately, this is what I came up with.

DSC00361.JPG

Screenshot_2013-05-06_13_49_55_375125.jpg

DSC00361.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I began doing a paper mache cast of a liner from a bike helmet. I used wood glue thinned with water as a paste. All told there were about 4 or 5 thin layers of glue/water.

DSC00311.JPG
DSC00313.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

After I had a dome shape for the helmet I used cardstock to rough out the shape and other details.

DSC00314.JPG
DSC00317.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Once I had the basic shape in place done with cardstock, I used that as a template and cut the forms out of cardboard. I used cardstock initially because it was simply easier to work with.

DSC00319a.jpg
DSC00320.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

I noticed that the helmet was beginning to look out of proportion and cut about ½ inch out of the face. I used shims to reconnect the whole thing. This left a few gaps in the face, but I was able to shore those up with cardstock. I’m not worried about the remaining gaps because I can fill those in later. Also, I cut a lot out of the back.

DSC00325.JPG
DSC00327.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

I added a few more details from the model like the tusks and the ear boxes. I went a slightly different direction with the tusks than the model shows. First, it was difficult to get a conical shape that seemed to fit with the proportions. Secondly, I didn’t really like the way it looked. Instead, I went for a little more rectangle approach. I’m still not sure I like the tusks, but it does provide me with a place to put LED’s at a later date. The helmet also looks a little bare without them.

DSC00328.JPG

DSC00329.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn’t happy with the overall look of the helmet. The dome was starting to look too egg-shaped and it just looked massive. To fix part of that, I cut the dome away from the inner ring and pulled it down. This helped with the egg-shape and made it smaller from top to bottom. Because the shape had changed though, it created some gaps where the inner ring met the dome.

DSC00333.JPG

DSC00334.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

I went ahead and added a few more details. I wasn’t sure I would add the “teeth” because I didn’t love the way they looked. However, after doing a mock up, I didn’t hate it so I figured what the heck. Once assembled, I used wood glue thinned with a little water to coat the entire helmet. I painted on 5 or 6 thin coats of glue/water. This helps to stiffen the whole thing. It also helps to fill in the cells of the cardboard making the whole thing much more rigid.

DSC00335.JPG

DSC00336.JPG

DSC00337.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Stepping back from it I noticed something … it’s fricken huge!!!. It’s much bigger than any other helmet I’ve built this way. I simply can’t tell if its out of proportion or this is just the way it looks. To my way of thinking, the goggles are the focus of the helmet and everything else has to be in proportion to them. The goggles fit pretty tightly to the dome and couldn’t be made much smaller. As I sit and look at it, everything appears to be in proportion. However, side to side, it’s about 11 inches. In comparison, the black helmet is about 8 inches at its widest. Front to back, it’s about 12 inches while the black helmet is about 10 inches. I can’t tell if this is a flaw or simply the fact that it’s a different style of helmet. On the plus side, there is plenty of room inside for padding, lights, batteries etc.

DSC00338.JPG

DSC00339.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t actually use bondo to fill gaps and smooth out the surface though. Instead, I use drywall mud aka joint compound. Joint compound produces a ton of dust when sanded, but its non-toxic. I don’t recommend inhaling the stuff, but at least you can use a breath mask rather than a ventilator. Another plus is that is relatively cheap. I bought a 1 gallon bucket for about $7.00.

DSC00343.JPG

DSC00344.JPG

DSC00346.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

To finish it I use sand paper to take down the big stuff then move to a damp sponge to do some wet sanding. This allows me to fine tune some areas and fill in some holes. A light sanding after that to smooth it all out.

DSC00348.JPG

DSC00349.JPG

DSC00350.JPG

This is basically the finished product. I haven’t decided on a paint scheme yet and the white is just primer. I also put holes inside the helmet into the tusks so I can run lights to those.

DSC00361.JPG

DSC00363.JPG

DSC00364.JPG

DSC00365.JPG

I'm embarassed to admit, I still don't know what color to make it. I've tried to research colors and their meaning in the game without much luck. For example (at the risk of being really geeky) in the "Republic Commando" books there is an explanation of what colors mean to Mandalorians. Unfortunately, there isn't anything like that in the game. I'm leaning towards a base of light grey with "Longhorn orange" accents (even though I hate U of Texas ... but its a great color). Orange also seems prominent for the commando class in game. I also think I want to try a helmet with a brighter theme. The rest of the helmets I've made are pretty dull.

Thanks, I really appreciate that. I was looking for some alternatives to the resin and bondo method. Resin and bondo are great but it can be pretty expensive if you're making a Halloween costume. My methods aren't as permanent as resin and bondo but you can still get pretty good results.

Very nice. I like what you did with the tusks. They seem to flow better than the original conical horn style. Did you ever decide on a paint scheme?

That's flippin' awesome! I am beyond impressed with the build process, especially the points where you stop and correct issues before they become dealbreakers. The colour scheme worked out really well too.

Wow. Thank you. If only I had documented the number of times I tried to pattern the face, got it wrong, swore and then threw a hissy fit. That's why I work with cardboard.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back