Galileo

CaptainDave1701

I just wanted to post this morning even though many of you may already know but the Galileo is ready to leave dry dock.

galileo_restoration2.jpg

I have been following this on Facebook with great interest.

There are no superlatives that can adequately describe the results. Absolutely awesome.

I applaud the effort but keep in mind that aside from the engines and the rear landing pad NOTHING you see is original. This is a copy with some original pieces attached. That said, it looks great.

I applaud the effort but keep in mind that aside from the engines and the rear landing pad NOTHING you see is original. This is a copy with some original pieces attached. That said, it looks great.

From what I've read, I thought only the wood has been replaced because it was rotted out. Most, if not all of the original metal frame is still there.

From what I've read, I thought only the wood has been replaced because it was rotted out. Most, if not all of the original metal frame is still there.

Correct. But since the entire outer hull is wood, there remains nothing seen on camera that is original. It's like building a house on old foundations. You can build a nice house, but it's a re-creation, not a restoration.

I'm not taking anything away from the effort – it was colossal. But what we have here is a copy built on the skeleton of the original. Call it what you will, but keep in mind that not one square inch of its surface is original. Here's a composite shot of the frame and engine tubes from its original construction in 1966. Everything else on this new version is a facsimile.

She looks fantastic!!

Great thanks to Adam and Leslie for taking this on and giving the Galileo the treatment she deserves; well done!! It's great to have the original Galileo back instead of it rotting outside in some obscure place. Can't wait to see her in Houston. Again, well done!

It's beautiful. Let people argue the semantics of words like 'original' and 'restoration' until they're blue in the face and their inner child appears on a milk carton. That is one beautiful sight.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back