Am I the only one that loves movies, but hates the theater experience???

TylerHam

My wife and I were talking about this the other night - He dad offered to babysit and said we should go to the movies...

My wife said "Tyler hates going to the movies."

He asked "How can you hate movies?"

My reply: "I love movies, I just hate the theater."

I am so sick of going to the theater - Finding a good spot, only to have people come in late, sit right behind me, talk, chew loudly, check there phone or worse, TEXT through the show - - Or the best.. pick up the phone to say "Im in a movie Ill call you back...."

When did everyone become such an entitled jerk when it came to the theater??? Chew with your mouth closed. Also, you arent funny, so your commentary that you think is doing the rest of the audience a favor, isnt really entertaining anyone.

Also - If you are hard of hearing, asking your partner "What did she say" every minute doesnt help us either - They have things for people who are hard of hearing.. called HEARING AIDS.

I know people like snacks in the theater - But you really cant not eat for 120 minutes? Cant NOT Check your phone for 120 minutes? Cant SHUT UP for 120 minutes????

I would GLADLY pay 20$ a ticket if the theater actually used the money fo rushers who would KICK OUT these types of people, so the rest of us can enjoy the experience.... I am so much happier with my 50" LED TV with surround sound. Sure I have to wait 3-4 months for a Blu Ray, but its worth the wait to me...

Anyone else feel this way or am I just a grinch???

Love movies, hate the cinema it's always way too loud, my seat doesnt need to vibrate with every sound effect. Factor in the inconsiderate jerks either talking on their phone, using popcorn as a missile et al. I wait until it's available on amazon rentals. Besides you can pause that you can't pause the cinema if you need a bathroom break.:)

I only go to the theaters if it looks really, REALLY good, and even then my wife and I wait until the following week to see it during the afternoon, PRAYING there's no one else in the theater.

I hear ya with the "Week after release Wed at 2 pm" showings - Those are much better if you can manage it..... Esp when school is in session!

PS - I should ironically mention that I spent 12 years in the movie business..... I have actually not gone to movies I have credits in, I hate it THAT much.... Also got a little spoiled by the screening in the ILM and Dreamworks theaters - That was movie HEAVEN.. haha

I typically only go to theaters like the Alamo Drafthouse or Studio Movie Grill... places where there aren't as many seats due to tables for people to eat, and they don't allow kids in without a parent.

Alamo Drafthouse actually has a "no phone usage during the movie or we kick you out without a refund" policy which they rigorously enforce.

Linked only because of language...

Don't Talk - Angry Voicemail (Uncensored) - YouTube

That's right, sweetheart... welcome to the Magnited States of America...

This is why I go to movies during the middle of the week, when the theater is less crowded. We also have a local Drive in that I like to go to because I can bring a comfortable chair and a BBQ out there. It's great for large groups.

So yes, I agree. It is better to buy the $20 DVD and watch on the 55" TV, with your feet up on the coffee table.

I must be lucky because I find the theatres I've been not too bad. Most people are quiet and don't use their phones.

That said I rarely go now and certainly not when it's really busy. I only go for those films that I know will really benefit from the theatrical experience.

Last time I got up and complained about people talking behind me, the usher came in, saw the people, then just left....
Finally I turned around pissed and almost got into a fistfight because of the whole "Dont tell me to be quiet" garbage..... Dont want to be told to be quiet?? then STFU!!!!!

I must be lucky because I find the theatres I've been not too bad. Most people are quiet and don't use their phones.

That said I rarely go now and certainly not when it's really busy. I only go for those films that I know will really benefit from the theatrical experience.

That helps. Being in Canada probably also helps. :)

I love going to the movies! I love the big screen! That said, I hear ya! During an IMAX viewing of The Man Of Steel (not a cheap venture by any means!) I had the pleasure of sitting in front of a little kid of about 3 or 4 whose outstretched feet just managed to reach the back of my seat and boy, he kept letting me know it! I kept looking back hoping his clueless father sitting next to him would get the message but he was either too dense or didn't give a rat's behind. I almost turned on several occasions to accost this dim-witted adult, but I was afraid of causing trouble that would have potentially escalated and ruined the experience further! I mean c'mon dude, you don't get that your kid is banging away like a fracking woodpecker!?

Thats why I go to the theater at midnight. Almost empty then, enough sitting places to choose from. And Mostly the "younger" generation doesn't go and watch movies then.

I also love going to movies, but the proliferation of cellphones has soured the experience greatly. Generally, I go to matinees weeks after the film's initial release. By then the theater almost always is near empty, so I get a good seat and can enjoy the film undisturbed. Not 100% effective but works 8 times out of 10. Try it and see if it's successful for you. Good luck.

all items ....... me too.
my 55" 3d keeps me going.
last film i saw was Star Trek into darkness, at the Imax but it was better cos they lock the entrance doors at the allocated time, so no one gets in late.

I actually haven't had too many really bad movie experiences with people talking, cellphones and what not.

I do enjoy the experience of going to a more 'upscale' theater like the Sundance Kabuki we have here in SF. Reserved seating, wine bar, and a real restaurant adjacent to the lobby, and evening shows are 21+. Tends to keep the riff-raff out.

Those are the same with me. I don't go to movies a whole lot, maybe 3 or 4 a year, and when I go they are not too loud and busy.

Movie theatres are way TOO LOUD!! Also, it never fails that, even if the theatre is mostly empty, the one person who always has to kick at seats has to sit behind you... Atleast, that is always my experience. Perhaps I have bad luck.

I like watching movies at home much better. You can tell people to be quiet without fear of walking out after the movie and getting shanked. :lol

I actually haven't had too many really bad movie experiences with people talking, cellphones and what not.

I do enjoy the experience of going to a more 'upscale' theater like the Sundance Kabuki we have here in SF. Reserved seating, wine bar, and a real restaurant adjacent to the lobby, and evening shows are 21+. Tends to keep the riff-raff out.

I havent been to the Kabuki since they sort of remodeled it into the theater it is now - I didnt know about the 21 and over policy - Im right over the GG Bridge so maybe Ill start going there....

I hear you on this subject. Going to the movies is my favorite thing, it's my way of escaping the stress of real life and for 120 mins I can be transported to another world, time, or place........or can i?

Considering the movie theater is my fortress of solitude nothing is going to make my blood boil more than the talking/cellphone combination. I have had multiple situations where I politely "shush" someone, only for them to ignore my request and I end up getting out my seat walking three rows back and telling them to shut the hell up. I generally find that public humiliation normally gets them to shrivel up in their seat to the size of their pecker.

I also find that in movie theater's that it's not the lack of rules, it's the lack of rule enforcement, staff just don't seem to be willing to get involved to tell people to shut up or put their cell phone away. I mean really how much information do people need? We have signs on the wall, a two minute ident which tells people not to talk, use the phone, and put trash in the bin, yet people STILL ignore this a carry on like they are the one special case that rules don't apply to.

I could stay at home and wait for the BluRay, but I like the movie theater and why should I have to make alternative arrangements because of other peoples actions? Don't get me wrong, I ask in a nice way multiple times for people to lower the tone, but if they ignore this they are going to get a verbal beat down.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back