ANH / ESB Stormtrooper helmet / armour

All,

Obviously with all the excitement of the 'move along' and 'stop that ship' helmets being found and auctioned lately there has been some discussion in another thread as to what pieces from ANH / ESB are known to still exist.

Here is a list of what I think exists but if anyone has any more information or knows anything more on the ANH suits or the recycled ESB suits please fill in the gaps :)

1) The DavidM ANH Stunt Helmet
2) The BrianR ANH Stunt Helmet
3) The ANH-ESB Stunt Helmet (with Star Wars patch on the back)
4) The ANH-ESB Stunt Helmet (Previously owned by John Mollo)
5) The "Move Along" ANH Stunt sandtrooper Helmet
6) The "Stop that ship" ANH Stunt sandtrooper Helmet
7) The Kurtz / Joiner Archive ANH Stunt Helmet
8) Mark Hammil ANH Helmet (unknown if stunt or hero)
9) O2 cannister ANH / ESB
10) ANH Stunt Helmet LFL Archives
11) ANH Hero Helmet LFL Archives

The only piece of existing armour I can think of is the owned by John who posts on these boards as 'Stormtrooper' he has a O2 cannister from an ANH / ESB. If anyone knows of any other pieces in existence please feel free to post.

* items 10 and 11 added thanks to information from tylerdurden_soap_maker many thanks for that information :)

Cheers Chris.

Originally posted by The Dark Side@Dec 17 2005, 10:42 AM
John has the full ROTJ suit.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the input but there are loads of ROTJ and SE edition helmets / suits inside and outside of the LFL archives as much more where made / kept.

I do like the ROTJ stuff but I was really just interested in what is left over from ANH / ESB hence the title of the thread.

Cameron Oakley's helmet is also ROTJ so not really on topic.

John's ROTJ suit came with an ANH / ESB O2 cannister not a ROTJ cannister that is why it got a mention and to my knowledge it is the only piece of ANH / ESB armour left. I also think the shoes on John's armour are ANH / ESB as well come to think of it and obviously the blaster was ESB.

If anyone else knows of any other ANH / ESB pieces please add to the list :)

Cheers Chris.

If i remember correctlyI think someone here once posted a pic from the LFA of ANH or ESB armor parts.

I'll look if i can find it.

Chris

Joiner says he has 2 full sets of ANH armour, including Peter Diamonds. However a RPB member asked PD before he dies and he said "no way". However given his collection is possible that Kurtz/Joiner do have a set.

Given a few people here have had dealings with JJ maybe they can substantiate???

Cheerrs

jez

Hi Jez,

Each time Jason Joiner is mentioned on this board people seem to have a lot of negative things to say I personally have no knowledge of him or his collection.

I also don't really see the point of an archive if it is not on show or available for education purposes you would be as well dropping it all down a well and forgetting about it. At least LFL allow their fans to see some of the film props and models in touring shows.

I had heard that Joiner does also upon occasion exaggerate what he has in his collection but again unsure of this.

Also Jez I seem to remember reading somewhere that you had seen one of the Joiner/Kurtz helmets in person and it was repainted very poorly is this true?

If you did see it was it in some show you saw it? or did you get to access some of the Joiner / Kurtz archives?

Edit* Sorry Jez I just saw your post in the other thread I was trying to pull this question of what existed away from Gino's thread as it was going off topic.

Cheers Chris.

Originally posted by HDPE STORMY@Dec 17 2005, 10:55 AM
If i remember correctlyI think someone here once posted a pic from the LFA of ANH or ESB armor parts.
[snapback]1137925[/snapback]​

Is it this one you're talking about? :)

ANH_armour.jpg

Don't know *when* this pic was taken, but it seems typical of the way stormtrooper armour is stored by LFL... and might explain why my ROTJ suit came with the following ANH / ESB parts...

boots.jpg

I suspect that the boots are from ESB as they have black soles (so can't be ROTJ), but the soles don't match the soles on Han's boots when he's sitting down in the Death Star control room in ANH, with his feet up.
Then again, who knows how the originals were bought anyways? Maybe the costumers went along to a local shoe shop and asked for 50 pairs of jodphur / dealer boots and as long as they were the same style then it didn't matter if they were different brands or not?
I suppose not many shoe shops would have 50 pairs of ONE BRAND of jodphur / dealer boot in the required sizes, in stock at any one time anyways.
Hmmm... I tend to over-analyze things a bit. :lol

cannister.jpg

This may well be the only surviving piece of original ANH / ESB armour in existence (although the Joiner / Kurtz collection may have some bits ''n' pieces I doubt if they have a full ANH / ESB suit...)
The design differs significantly to the ROTJ cannisters, and I can confirm that the plastic it's made from (the white vac-formed bits) is a different type of plastic to the ROTJ armour... much thinner.

I also am fortunate enough to have the original ESB 'stunt' blaster and ESB holster (had belt loops as opposed to pop-fastners / rivets like the ANH / ROTJ ones) but there are threads elsewhere concerning my blaster and replicas so I won't hijack this thread by discussing it here :angel

Cool thread by the way, Chris. It's a sad fact but I reckon most of the original ANH / ESB armour is long-since gone :(
I can imagine someone holding onto a trooper helmet as a keepsake, but much less likely they'd hold onto a chest piece or shoulder bell etc....

Cheers,
John

Originally posted by Stormtrooper@Dec 17 2005, 11:45 AM
I can imagine someone holding onto a trooper helmet as a keepsake, but much less likely they'd hold onto a chest piece or shoulder bell etc....

Cheers,
John

I had kind of thought the same myself and it makes sense as there appears to be more helmets found than armour pieces.

Is there any way to contact the Joiner/Kurtz archive (or LFL archive) to find out if there is any ANH / ESB armour parts or are they not at all responsive to fans.

I can't understand why if Joiner / Kyrtz had ANH armour why they would be so reluctant to show it off :confused

Joiner / Kurtz sold a pile of pieces off this year to get cash together to support their archive surely they could raise cash by putting on a paying in show of their archives instead of having to sell pieces?

Cheers Chris.

Originally posted by Stormtrooper+Dec 17 2005, 11:45 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stormtrooper @ Dec 17 2005, 11:45 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-HDPE STORMY
@Dec 17 2005, 10:55 AM
[snapback]1137925[/snapback]​

Is it this one you're talking about? :)

ANH_armour.jpg

Don't know *when* this pic was taken, but it seems typical of the way stormtrooper armour is stored by LFL... and might explain why my ROTJ suit came with the following ANH / ESB parts...

boots.jpg

I suspect that the boots are from ESB as they have black soles (so can't be ROTJ), but the soles don't match the soles on Han's boots when he's sitting down in the Death Star control room in ANH, with his feet up.
Then again, who knows how the originals were bought anyways? Maybe the costumers went along to a local shoe shop and asked for 50 pairs of jodphur / dealer boots and as long as they were the same style then it didn't matter if they were different brands or not?
I suppose not many shoe shops would have 50 pairs of ONE BRAND of jodphur / dealer boot in the required sizes, in stock at any one time anyways.
Hmmm... I tend to over-analyze things a bit. :lol

cannister.jpg

This may well be the only surviving piece of original ANH / ESB armour in existence (although the Joiner / Kurtz collection may have some bits ''n' pieces I doubt if they have a full ANH / ESB suit...)
The design differs significantly to the ROTJ cannisters, and I can confirm that the plastic it's made from (the white vac-formed bits) is a different type of plastic to the ROTJ armour... much thinner.

I also am fortunate enough to have the original ESB 'stunt' blaster and ESB holster (had belt loops as opposed to pop-fastners / rivets like the ANH / ROTJ ones) but there are threads elsewhere concerning my blaster and replicas so I won't hijack this thread by discussing it here :angel

Cool thread by the way, Chris. It's a sad fact but I reckon most of the original ANH / ESB armour is long-since gone :(

Cheers,
John
[snapback]1137932[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yes, thanks John, that pic seems to have vanished from my computer.

Cheers

Originally posted by voice in the crowd@Dec 17 2005, 07:55 AM

I can't understand why if Joiner / Kyrtz had ANH armour why they would be so reluctant to show it off  :confused

Perhaps because there are so many unlicensed producers of TK armor? If the ANH armor is unique, it's value would be diminished if everyone had an accurate replica...

:cheers,

T

Originally posted by tylerdurden_soap_maker@Dec 17 2005, 04:31 PM
One ANH stunt and one hero helmet in the archives.
[snapback]1138032[/snapback]​

Thanks for the information tylerdurden_soap_maker but which archive are you talking about the LFL archives or Joiner/Kurtz archive. If it is the Joiner/Kurtz archive is the stunt the one we already have on the list which Jez has seen?

Please don't take this the wrong way as I am not doubting you :) but have you seen these helmets and if so do you have any photographs. I am really only asking to see what kind of condition the two helmets are in.

If no photos then no problem we will add these helmets to the list of survivng ANH / ESB helmets.

Since you seem to be in the know on this subject do you know if there are any other surviving pieces of armour apart from the two helmets.

Any response would be much appreciated :)

Cheers Chris.

They are in the LFL archives. A friend of mine graciously shared the photos with me and a few of his acquiantances. The photos are of a personal nature, so I don't think they want it publically distributed.

A current member of this forum, who I will not name unless they give me the OK, ID-ed the hero helmet as being the "promotional trooper" who appeared in Star Wars Chronicles and also on-screen.

Originally posted by SithLord+Dec 17 2005, 04:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ Dec 17 2005, 04:51 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-voice in the crowd
@Dec 17 2005, 07:55 AM

I can't understand why if Joiner / Kyrtz had ANH armour why they would be so reluctant to show it off  :confused
Perhaps because there are so many unlicensed producers of TK armor? If the ANH armor is unique, it's value would be diminished if everyone had an accurate replica...
[/b]

Hi SithLord,

I wasn't talking about making copies (although I was thinking it :D and you were obviously thinking along the same lines :lol ) I was just talking about displaying the items and showing their existence to fans like LFL have done. Without getting a casting surely seeing a suit in a glass case isn't that much more of a step forward than seeing it on a TV screen or movie stills.

I don't think a screen used suit would ever reduce in value no matter how many copies were made. There are hundreds of replica ANH stunt helmets but the interest generated from the find of the two new Christies items was not diminished because of this. In fact two people wanted them so badly they both paid roughly £20,000 pounds each just for the privilege of owning them.

If I had the original ANH Vader helmet (something after your own heart I beleive) it wouldn't reduce in value because there are replicas (which there are more than a few).

If Joiner / Kurtz are not willing to show their items publicly how on earth are we to believe they even exist. I just think it is a shame that if such iconic cinema artifacts do exist they are basically doing nothing other than gathering dust (just a figure of speech).

I might add that in the real world it is none of our business what they have in their archives both LFL and Joiner / Kurtz owe none of us anything.

In the world of the hobbyist enthusiast that is the RPF it would be nice to know what they had if someone within our ranks had any snippets of information.

In the first post there is a list of Stormtrooper items known to still exist from ANH / ESB. I would dearly love to confidently add to this list with trustworthy information just to see what is actually left over from the 50+ suits made originally in 1976 thats all I am trying to ascertain :)

Cheers Chris.

Originally posted by tylerdurden_soap_maker@Dec 17 2005, 05:04 PM
They are in the LFL archives. A friend of mine graciously shared the photos with me and a few of his acquiantances. The photos are of a personal nature, so I don't think they want it publically distributed.

A current member of this forum, who I will not name unless they give me the OK, ID-ed the hero helmet as being the "promotional trooper" who appeared in Star Wars Chronicles and also on-screen.
[snapback]1138045[/snapback]​

tylerdurden_soap_maker you have no idea how happy your last post has made me you have made my day. I thought that by starting this thread it would be like bashing my head off a brick wall but your information has made it well worth while already. I am also very happy that two more ANH helmets survived the trash compactor :) Your two helmets have been added to the list :D

Many many thanks Chris.

P.S. I totally respect your friends right to not publicly show any photos that is their prerogative.

Hi guys,relatively new here so just thought id say hi.

I live in the UK and JJ used to own a shop in the town center close to me.When TPM was released and all the hype started building up JJ organised an exhibtion showing a lot of his collection,which included an original set of trooper armour.I cannot be sure,but if i remember rightly it was stated as ESB armour.It was behind a glass screen of course to keep the hands away.

A lot of his?? collection contained items that were moreso related to Gary Kurtz and there was a lot of ESB stuff there.

I know this probably wont help too much,but i can verify that he did claim the trooper armour was real going by the museum like descriptions on certain items.The armour did look aged etc but that is all i can remember.

Regards

Lee

Originally posted by BAlinger15@Dec 17 2005, 08:46 PM
Hey Lee,

Were you able to take any photos?

Later,
-Brandon
[snapback]1138141[/snapback]​

Hi Brandon,

No i didnt take any photos :( I wish i had done now.I remember being a little shocked at the trooper outfit at the time because there was no mention of it in the local press etc.He also had a lifesize Falcon cockpit there too which was amazing.

Lee

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back