Star Trek MedKit

Marc Wagner

I've started working on a medkit for my wife for the upcoming Trek Convention in San Francisco.

DSCN0616.JPG
My daughter had an old art kit which was contained in a plastic carrying case that was the perfect shape. I gutted it and painted grey, then applied a decal to both sides.

The kit will contain the following:

DSCN0615.JPG
Playmates Medical Tricorder

DSCN0613.JPG
I made a hypospray out of wood and foam. The vials are plastic tubes with magnets so they can clip inside the hole in the bottom.

DSCN0614.JPG
I made a PADD out of wood.

DSCN0617.JPG
For the inside, I got some 1" thick foam sheets and cut shapes out for the items to fit inside. When finished, the foam will be dyed black.

DSCN0618.JPG
All the items fit inside very nicely!

Great job dude! I really like the hypospray and Padd you created. Awesome medkit case. Can't wait to see the "finished" pics of the case all together and awaiting to be used in nan emergency situation. ;)

Awesome! Would you happen to know what kind of Art kit that was? I am interested in making my own and it is the perfect shape indeed!

I have revamped the kit based on the design seen in Voyager and added a strap:
20160130_190431_zpswxvxjkql.jpg

I also molded the hypospray so I could cast them in solid resin and changed out the vials for glass:
20160201_154016_zpsh5xczoft.jpg

20160202_171126_zpstwihrqmx.jpg

I'd also be interested in knowing what you used for the case.
It was a child's magic kit I found at a thrift store.

TAP Plastics actually makes one I think looks better:
http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_containers/tradesman_case/227

You can also get one here that is similar in design but much sturdier:
https://store.trifibre.co.uk/plastic-cases/spi.html

The strap came from an old laptop bag.

This looks great! Could you give a bit more detail about how you created the hypospray?
I made one from wood with foam grips, split loom for the neck (with a piece of hose inside for durability), a wood head, and the nozzle is made from a screw cap and washers of alternating size. I made a 2-part mold from it in silicone from which I made resin copies. 100% scratch built.

20160206_175717_zpsu56wyox7.jpg

The inside I lined with felt (as was done in the screen-used props) and got some glass vials filled with dyed water. The felt holds them snugly in place inside the sprayer base.

Last edited:
great looking med kit, good work. would be cool to use magnets in the lid of the vials so you get that "snap" when it sticks to the other mounted in the sprayer, may be cool,?.?

great looking med kit, good work. would be cool to use magnets in the lid of the vials so you get that "snap" when it sticks to the other mounted in the sprayer, may be cool,?.?
I did try magnets in my prototype. Felt was the way they went with in the actual prop so I decided to stick with authentic. The "snap" in the show was from a sound effect added in post production. The magnets did work pretty good though.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back