Star Trek 09 tunic

kenobibale

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
so in the downtime between preparing my man of steel project i thought i would mess around in photoshop and maybe try my hand at a star trek 09 tunic as a back up for halloween for myself and as a main costume for my friend. i found some details on the delta pattern over on the 1701st site and i went from there. i took a high res image i found online of the delta symbol and imported it into photoshop. from there i started messing around with different ways to get the cut outs on the right side. the best way i found was to rotate the symbol 4 degrees counter clockwise and then make my cuts at regular intervals.

star trek delta test 1.jpg
once i did that i moved it back to the right way up and scaled it down to the right size

star trek delta test 2.jpg
after that i simply repeated the pattern over and 8x8 square, enough for a fabric on demand sample. then i got my 3 colours which i thought looked close enough and laid the pattern over them.
trek shirt test.jpg

hopefully the colours come out right from the printers and if so i will be moving ahead with the shirts. i have a shirt at home that is v neck with raglan sleeves so i will cut it up and make my pattern based of that. will probably print the silver ranks lines on the cuff instead of adding them later for handiness and for durability. not sure what i will do about the badge yet. still mulling over ideas. as for the collar and seams i am gonna buy some coloured lycra and use the closest match since fabric on demand only print on white.

let me know what you think. might even offer some fabric in the junk yard if i get enough of it and enough interest but i dont want to stop on anovos' toes

not sure, like i said i dont want to step on anovos' toes. i dont know what the legalities are regarding a run. i might offer unassembled shirts if i get enough interest. between this and my man of steel suit i dont know if i would have enough time to do a run of completed shirts. once i get the sample i will maybe start an interest thread in the junkyard.

so i have done a bit more work to my trek pattern. i redid the delta patten and this time used photoshop to make the repeat. sooooo much simpler and it eliminated the line that would break the original pattern every few repeats as you can pick out in the photo in my first post. overall i am happy with the pattern and once i get the sample from the printers i will be able to compare the colours. i have ordered swatches of gold, royal blue and fire red to see how they would look as the shiny side out seams

trek shirt improved pattern.jpg

so the lycra samples i ordered arrived. the red i think is spot on. but the gold and blue are uncertain. the gold for one thing is much to yellow. on screen the command shirt is more gold than yellow. i would call it mustard colour but i dont know if this gold colour i have will work for the seams. the same goes for the blue, it is royal blue which i though was a good choice but looking at some pictures recently the blue on the screen shirts seems much lighter. it looked royal in trek 09, maybe they changed the colours? i will wait until daylight to take some pictures so you can see. any input will be appreciated.

so the fabric on demand sample arrived today. it was suppose to arrive last week attached to my final man of steel test but for some reason it wasn't in the package so fabric on demand printed another one and sent it out free of charge. they are really good people to deal with. anyway i was kind of guessing the colours when i first did the test wasn't really sure how it would come out. and it is so hard to match what is on screen because it can change from scene to scene depending on lighting. so my colours may not be totally accurate but i think they look pretty good.
P7100035.JPG

in the photo i have three lycra colour samples at the top which i was going to use for the coloured seams, i have "gold" although it is far too yellow so i will be sourcing another colour for that, "fire red" which i think works, it looks good with the fod red too, and "royal" blue. i wasn't sure about the blue. in the 09 movie it seems more royal in most scenes but in 13 movie it looks like i lighter more softer blue. what do you think? royal or something lighter?
as for the fod blue, not sure i like it. i can't decide if it looks good. please let me know what you think.

second sample from fabric on demand arrived. i tweaked the blue and gold colours. went for more of a royal blue, but i think it is too dark. as for the gold i tried to get it more of a gold colour and less yellow. not a huge difference in daylight but under fluorescent or indoor lighting it looks more gold and accurate. its tough to get them right without burning through samples. in photoshop the blues looked so similar almost non existent in terms of difference yet in real life they are night and day. and the golds looked so different on screen but in real life hard to tell apart. i have got so many gold variations based off photos of the shirt that some look dark brown and others look greenish. can't decide what looks best. to my eyes the latest sample looks good, looks passable but if put next to a screen shirt or anovos would probably look way off. does anyone know what the actual RGB colours for the real thing were?

any way here is some pics,
with flash
P8010042.JPG
without flash
P8010044.JPG

thoughts?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back