Best material for small mold making

Gigatron

Sr Member
Hey guys,

This was originally posted over in the Off-Topic section, but got no responses. Figured maybe in the prop section, someone would have some ideas about mold making.

I'm going to try my hand at making some of my own soft plastic fishing lures. Since I primarily fish freshwater, I was going to try and make casts of cicadas (considering the plague we're currently going through, here), and some worms.

So my question is, which would be better as a mold making material, for a first timer? I know fiberglass resin is fairly inexpensive and easy to whip up. But how is it at picking up detail? And I know RTV is better at picking up detail, but how forgiving is it for a first timer? How about the costs? I'll be working in an 8"x8" baking pan, probably no more than 2" deep.

Thanks,
Fred

I'm not sure how easy it'd be to make a mold out of a cicada or something like that, but I suggest having a look at smooth-on.com. They have so many different materials available, that you should be able to find something you could use.

Yeah, a single smooth-on trial size silicone moldmaking kit is exactly what you need. Most hobby shops (hobby lobby, etc) sell similar kits for molding and casting small stuff like that.

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, print off one of their 40% off coupons and pick up the Alumilite starter kit. It comes with mold silicone, resin, and modeling clay, along with measuring cups. It's a fairly easy, beginner system

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, there's no Hobby Lobby in this neck of the woods.

I've been sculpting a whole mess of custom lures, including a larger-than-life cicada. I don't need all the super fine details of an actual insect, just something that a bass would recognize as something he can eat. So, I think that would rule out any trial size mold packages.

I'll check out the smooth-on website and compare all the prices.

Thanks, again.

Fred

I agree about the Alumilite kit fro Hobby Lobby (getting 40% off too. I myself have the Hobby Lobby app, which I get 40% each time I show the coupon code. Since I am attending Keiser University, it's right next door to a shopping center that has one, so every day, I can swing by and look at their supplies to see what I can snag).

The only problem I have with the kit is this: I've bought it, and I have no freakin' idea on what to make a mold of. :lol

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back