Does gluestick make a foam helmet harden?

IronExtremis04

hey guys! i have made my MK 42 helmet of out foam and i want to install a hinge in there but the problem is that it has to be harden to retain it's shape. and i could not find any fiberglass,resin, etc... here(it sucks here).

so i am wondering if covering the helmet with gluestick and sanding it can retain it's shape.i just want ot hear your opinions before i spend all my money. pls reply.thanks!

I'm surprised no one answer your question. Glue stick is not strong enough for you to put in the hinges. In my experience working with foam and hot glue, it is extremely difficult. Additionally, if you accidentally left your helmet in a hot room, be prepared to see the glue starts to melt. Your work will just go to waste. Technically, you should be able to apply fiberglass and resin on the inside of foam. Resin should not be hot enough to start melting foam. I've never tried it, but hopefully someone will chime in.

You can put a strip of foam as additional structure. See my tips on below link.
That's how I set up my hinges.
I added several coat of resin all over the helmet, but for different purpose, not for strength.
Hope it helps.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back