Logan's Run Revolver.

tobor

After reading the novel Logan’s run again recently, (the last time was over 30 years ago) I decided to make a DS gun that more closely resembled the description in the book. Basically it has to be a six shot revolver. The film and TV DS gun is one of my favourite prop designs, so I wanted it to resemble this as much as possible, but be an obvious revolver. There’s not a lot of description in the book, the colour is described as cold blue steel, and it has a pearl handle. It fires six different rounds: Nitro, Vapour, Neddler, Ripper, Tangler and Homer.

I started by making the cylinder. I used 3mm aluminium plate and 10mm diameter tube. These were just stuck together with JB Weld.
dsr001.jpg

The main frame was made from 12mm aluminium plate. I was cutting this by hand with a hacksaw, so could only cut straight lines. Therefore I had to make it in two pieces. The front fin was cut from 5mm plate. The bullets were made from 8mm aluminium rod.
dsr002.jpg

The two halves of the frame were fixed together with some brass pins and JB Weld. Instead of trying to tap some threads to fix the side plates on, I used M6 stud connectors. The holes were drilled slightly undersized and the stud connectors hammered in place. The trigger is made from 5mm plate and is held in place with a brass pin. It’s in a fixed position and doesn’t move. You can see my first attempt at a trigger, but I wasn’t happy with the shape.
dsr003.jpg

The grips were made from layers of styrene and finished with car body filler. The muzzle was made from 32mm aluminium tube with a 25mm internal diameter. The main tube is 25mm and the rear tube is 28mm diameter. The cylinder cover is made from 50mm tube with a 5mm wall thickness. The side plates are 3mm thick.
dsr004.jpg

dsr005.jpg

For the front of the muzzle I got an aluminium tapered washer. Not only was the outside diameter correct, the hole in the middle was 8mm, the same size as the bullets. For the end of the rear cylinder I cut the centre of a machined TOS phaser emitter I had. The gun is held together with metal pins, and will be epoxied at final assembly.
dsr006.jpg

dsr007.jpg

dsr008.jpg

dsr009.jpg

The main construction is done.
I want to differentiate between the types of rounds, so I’m thinking of colour coding the bullets. I could paint the tips of the bullets different colours and have corresponding coloured dots on the rear tube, like the coloured dots on the TV guns.
The main cylinder and rear tube do turn, but are not connected in any way. My original idea was to connect them with gears and a ratchet system, but it was too tricky for me to make.
I wanted to have elements of both the film and the TV guns in the design. It has the rounded grips and front switch of the film gun, and the fin and trigger shape of the TV version. I decided to go without the glow plug.
dsr010.jpg

dsr011.jpg

dsr012.jpg

dsr013.jpg

dsr014.jpg

I’ve put in a mounting point so the gun can be fixed to a display stand.

dsr015.jpg

dsr016.jpg

I’m in two minds on how to finish the gun. I could just paint it satin black, or go for a metal finish with simulated pearl grips.

If go for a metal finish, I would like it a lot darker than it is now. I understand that gun blueing doesn’t work on aluminium. I’ve heard of Birchwood Casey ALUMINIUM BLACK. I’m not sure what this actually does.
I have no idea how to simulate pearl grips. Is there a painting method? I’ve had no luck finding any information on the web yet.

That's a great idea you did there!

"Birchwood Casey ALUMINIUM BLACK. I’m not sure what this actually does. "

Give it a shot. ha ha, pun not intended.
Try some on some scrap.
I've been using this to touch up exposed aluminum on an actual firearm receiver and it has worked pretty well to match the anodized surface and so far it's not coming off.
Though it's a bit of apply and rinse, apply and rinse many times over to get it darker and darker. Very clean surface needed.

FanTASTIC!!

I know this function won't be present, but in the theoretical gun, how does one turn the cylinder? Should there be a lever or "hammer" of some kind?

Thanks for your comments guys.
I’ve ordered some Birchwood Casey aluminium black. As CessnaDriver says, I’ll give it a shot, and see if I like the results.
Hi Treadwell, in the book the gun had a power supply. At one point Logan disassembles the gun to use the glow of the power source as a light source.
My idea is that you would turn the rear tube and the cylinder would turn via a motor, or maybe it could be voice activated (like Dredd’s lawgiver). The rounds would be fired electronically.

I couldn’t make up my mind if I should go for the metal and pearl handle look or an all-black gun. So I decided to do both. I have some Birchwood Casey aluminium black, and I have an idea on simulating pearl grips, but I have to test these finishes before I apply them to the gun. In the meantime, I’ve finished an all-black version.
As I knew I was going to paint this one, I made it from materials that were easier to work with than aluminium. I still used aluminium for the bits that were easy to cut and shape, as I still had plenty of material left over from the first build.

The muzzle was made using 32mm plastic tube. It wasn’t very thick, so I glued an acrylic tube inside and then cut out the slots. The cylinder was made from aluminium tube with styrene ends.
dsr017.jpg

The main frame was made from acrylic sheet. I super glued some styrene sheet to it to get the thickness I wanted.
I didn’t have another phaser emitter to cut up, so I got an aluminium knob, and reduce the thickness of it.
dsr018.jpg

The grips were made the same as before.
This time I used M4 screws instead of M5 to hold the side plates on. I used rivet nuts inserted in the frame. The side plates were made from 3mm styrene sheet.
dsr019.jpg

The bullets were made from felt tip pens. They were filled with car body filler, and brass mirror screw ends were glued in place.
dsr020.jpg

dsr021.jpg
dsr022.jpg
dsr023.jpg

The two guns are almost identical, with just a few minor differences in dimensions. The new gun has a slightly longer cylinder, so it is not set back as much from the 50mm outer tube.
dsr024.jpg

The tips of the bullets were painted.
On the rear cylinder I made six indentations using a drill bit. These were then painted the same colours as the bullets.
dsr025.jpg
dsr026.jpg

The whole gun was painted satin black (Simoniz Tough Black). I haven’t determined which colour goes with which type of round, but I think the Homer has to be black. Therefore I left a black dot on the main body of the gun, so that when the two black dots line up, you’ve selected the Homer, and it’s time to terminate a runner.:)
dsr027.jpg
dsr028.jpg
dsr029.jpg
dsr030.jpg
dsr031.jpg
dsr032.jpg

Attachments

• dsr017.jpg
    dsr017.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 174
That's so great! I am also a HUGE fan of the movie and gun, I have a working Rylo in my collection, but also appreciate the Gun descriptions in the novel. I do think there is a mention that not only was the gun a six shooter but there is a reference to the gun resembling those used in the West.

AWESOME build - Logan's run was one if my favorites. I always intended to do a build. I put together a basic design in RHINO and made this Render for my Gallery.

Keep up the good work !!!

Love to pick up one of these for my collection !!! :thumbsup

sandman c.jpg

Hi Harada357,
Great gun design. I should have said at the beginning of the thread, that the idea of making a revolver based on the TV and film guns, came from seeing your renders.:thumbsup

Maybe I’ll make a DS assault rifle.:)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back