Iron man Mark 7 foam build

Seansironman

Hey everyone i just started my Iron man Mark 7 build. Will be posting pics and updates soon.

- - - Updated - - -

This is my very first build so it should be interesting! :lol

iron man helmet.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Right now im just glueing together the helmet.

- - - Updated - - -

Im 16 and this is my first build so any advise would be extremely helpful, thanks!

the build will benefit from bending the foam to shape as you glue them, a heat gun can help a lot here, and they are relatively cheap at harbor freight tools. The heat gun also helps you melt the glue coming out of your seams so you can wipe them off. I got a dual temp one for about 13 bucks. also if your not using thinner foam for the helmet you may have to trim the thickness if that's EVA foam to make it more pliable in more curved areas.

Yea I dont think i will have to worry about trimming my eva foam because it is 3mm thick. And thanks for the advise with the heat gun i will look into that.

also being 16, don't give up haha. when I make props, I think they cant turn out as good cause im inexperienced. I was wrong and I powered through it. Now, for your helmet, if you have to work with 3 mm, you may want to only use a low heat glue gun and just dot the edge and slide the tip across the line. This will make it so the glue doesn't bleed and you wont need to buy a heat gun. I prefer using 6mm for helmets as they finish with a more study helmet, but is flexible enough to make nice turns and angles. Also, when you cut your pieces, plan your angles first. with 3mm, It may not seem as important as the edges seem tiny, but it makes a whole difference. cutting them at an angle from the sheet is much easier than cutting them after they've been removed. your helmet looks great as a first attempt, and with work it can be great, and if you haven't seen this topic yet, Id greatly recommend it. The tips are after all the links and it helped make my build more accurate and smooth. Good luck with your project, and I cant wait to see progress. Don't give up! If I can do it, you can.

I built a Mark 6 foam suit with 1/2 in thick foam. It's definitely thicker but if you can get the curves and edges clean its worth it because it is really durable and I don't have to worry about it getting damaged while wearing it.

I recommend buying the Stealth tutorial series some very good tips for foam building in there. It is $9.99 this week and the next. As a helpful tip, use the heat gun and don't take the face plate off until it's shape is held.

Don't give up and good luck
I'm 15 haha

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back