My first Pepakura build-Iron Man MKVI PIC HEAVY

dnlqnnll

Hello RPF! After lurking for a few months i've decided to finally go out on a limb and post pictures of my in progress build of an IM Mk6 based off of Robo3687's WONDERFUL pep files with the only exception being Zabana's hand pep modified by Darkside 501st . I'll post a few pictures of the pep work and finish off with resin, bondo, etc. once i get to that! School and weather always are progress blockers :p I read though forum rules so hopefully i don't break any along the way, please tell me if i do so i dont make the same mistake again and PLEASE feel free to offer feedback of any kind as long as its constructive criticism :) I have finished all of the pep work except the left palm (hardest pep of the whole build :p) and have braced some of the parts for hardening.
IMG_20121207_134242.jpgIMG_20121104_192745.jpgIMG_20130105_234911.jpgIMG_20130119_214434.jpg20130420_141723.jpgIMG_20130504_232655.jpg

20130605_092123.jpg20130605_092118.jpg Ive resined and hardened some smaller pieces using the "Rondo" (resin-bondo) method and am pleased with the outcome. Some pieces i experimented with by rondo-ing over fiberglass and these were certainly harder, but then again i despise working with fiberglass so much i may limit its use to only the bigger pieces that really need all the structural support they can get (like the chest, back, thighs, etc.) Due to the nature of where i live, the coolest weather ive had the past couple weeks or will have the next couple months is mid 80s, with temps up to 110 so the resin and bondo will set quite quickly, but will also set so fast they have a pot life of almost nil, making life quite difficult as it is a pain to mix up a bunch of small batches so ive adjusted the amount of hardener i use with a decent amount of success.

- - - Updated - - -

And pre-emptively, yes there are certainly a few parts in that pic which could benefit from a much heavier rondo coating!:p

Great work so far! Question about the hand (as I am on that piece now). What size did you scale Zabana's hand file to and how big are your hands? I'm worried that it will either be too big or too small! Did you do a test piece first? If so, what was it? Thanks!

Great work so far! Question about the hand (as I am on that piece now). What size did you scale Zabana's hand file to and how big are your hands? I'm worried that it will either be too big or too small! Did you do a test piece first? If so, what was it? Thanks!
If i'm not mistaken i didn't scale Zabana's file at all, though it is a bit big. My palms are about 4 inches long and 3.4 inches wide approx. The pep file is about 4.5in long and about 3.6 inches wide in the center of the palm, probably about 4.5 at the widest part (where the thumb is). The file is fantastic, though complicated to cut out and build so i strongly suggest measuring your palms thoroughly and carefully scaling the file (i've seen many resources here on how to scale pep files) because it's too difficult a file to build to make it the wrong size :p I recall Robo's file being simpler so you could always build that as a mock up to see how big the file needs to be length and widthwise to fit, then go from there to scale Zabana's file. Hope this helped!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back