Why do so many people think Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan was good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's quite a breakdown ;)! I think most of the reason I love the TOS and the films with that cast (only watched I-IV so far) is nostalgia, I can't seem to get anybody "into" the TOS unless they were already a fan. I wish I had started watching them with my daughter when she was younger, she's far too critical to enjoy it now. What really got me hooked when I saw TWOK was Ricardo, both the concept of continuing his story from TV (creating a bridge from the show to the films, for me) as well as seeing Ricardo reprise his role. Mr. Roarke? what's not to love about that! :D
I wish I could pull off a Starfleet uniform, Burton you look AWESOME in it! This is NOT me, but it was my reaction to reading the opening post:
attachment.php

Attachments

• wrath of burton.jpg
    wrath of burton.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 1,200
Well played, sir. :) I am forever thankful so many great films are part of my childhood zeitgeist unspoiled by the mindless ravings of the Internet.

And indeed you look strapping in that uniform.

#1 reason. It is the best. The new unifroms and that excellent field jacket.

The ABC TV Wrath of Khan is the best, just the way the turbo lift scene between Kirk and Saavik is cut with the close ups of their faces before Bones interrupts.

And yes, while some may have hated it, I loved the militarization of Star Fleet.

Pathetic.

If you can't tell the difference between a great movie like "TWOK" and a hack job like "The Angry Bitterness of John Harrison" then I can't help you.

Pathetic.

If you can't tell the difference between a great movie like "TWOK" and a hack job like "The Angry Bitterness of John Harrison" then I can't help you.

And yet he eloquently deconstructs TWOK pointing out the same navel gazing criticisms trotted out in the Into Darkness thread...

One point about Saavik - according to a deleted scene, she was half Vulcan, half Romulan. That'd mess anybody up.

I kinda wish they'd kept this in. It might have made Saavik more interesting. As a result when Robin Curtis comes along playing Saavik as totally Vulcan it makes it seem (unfairly) like she's giving a much more wooden interpretation of the character.
As for all the problems with the Neutral zone, etc. Well, deciding to change the bad guys to Klingons late in the game without re-writing many details is what lead to that. On the down side: confusion with 2 Neutral zones, prisoners, and later on, the infamous Bird of Prey. On the plus side, the Klingons became badass movie villans with more cool conflicts, detailed make-up, ships, culture and Hollywood actors in the roles.

Regardless of all that. We get: Ricardo Montalban, epic space battle, highly emotional death scene with real impact on characters and fans, Ricardo Montalban, life and death choices that we actually care about, back story that adds to the depth of characters (Kirk's son?! Carol Marcus? Aha, the blonde lab-tech Gary Mitchell set Kirk up with!) Ricardo Montalban (just try saying his name aloud without doing the voice :D) and minor character like Checkov getting great scenes that aren't silly comic releif or slightly racist (serious, computers with in-built universal translators can't handle a Russian accent?)

So yeah. Ironic, tongue-in-check nature of the OP aside, TWOK is great, although I always like to group it as the great first act of the trilogy of II, III and IV

And yet he eloquently deconstructs TWOK pointing out the same navel gazing criticisms trotted out in the Into Darkness thread...

Nope. TWOK stands the test of time. TABOJH will quickly fade once people realize what a true piece of **** it was.

It was well-received because you got the old characters working like they did on the TV, which they hadn't in the first movie. I give them a break on stupid plot crap if they've got the character chemistry going. What bugged me far more was the uniforms. Get them out of those trousers and into the shorter TV trousers with the boots.

For me its the field jacket.

But in all seriousness, its good because of what Meyer brought to the production.

He didn't know much about Star Trek, so he watched ALL of it. Yes, much easier to do back then. But he recognized it as Horatio Hornblower in space, and it helped him to understand the material. He also understood the Kirk/Spock/McCoy relationship as well as their individual character's point of view.

The no-win scenario sequence was created to misdirect audiences. Spock 'dies' early on making his true sacrifice later more of a suprise to those who thought they knew his fate.

I get this thread though. TWOK wasn't all good back then amongst fans. I recall complaints about moving and talking while being transported. Poor starfleet mapping and mission followup. Doorbell button on a stick used for torpedo launch control joystick... there is always something that can bother us. But for me none of this pulled me out of the film.

While no movie is perfect, "The Angry Bitterness of John Harrison" is of the same quality of writing as your standard Syphillis Channel movie of the week. TWOK stands so far above it to dwarf the lense flared hack job JJ crapped out.

For me, I liked it because it was my introduction to all that was Star Trek. I am to young to have watched TOS in its first run on the air. It left me interested and wanting more.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

For me, I liked it because it was my introduction to all that was Star Trek. I am to young to have watched TOS in its first run on the air. It left me interested and wanting more.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Same here it's one of the first movies i remember going to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back