Show us your EVA foam / Foam based props!

Nerfenstein

Hi guys,
I've been plodding along with my prop making hobby recently and have been doing quite a few with foam, because it's easier for me to work with than mdf / timber. I've found it to be a lot of fun and would love to see what other EVA or general foam based props are out there all compiled in one place, so I hope you will add your own.

I know a lot of people seem to make armor out of EVA, but I've been making smaller props, books, weapons and accessories and it's loads of fun.
Here's a few I've done so far:

Just finished Mal's pistol from Firefly this week:
mal-reynolds-pistol-prop-firefly-foamidable-mix.jpg

Designed this Warhammer 40k tome and made it:
nerfenstein-40k-inspired-book-tome-prop.jpg

Cthulhu Mythos inspired tome:
cthulhu-tome-prop-antique-occult-book-prop-nerfenstein1.jpg

Crown and Tankard for LARP:
LARP-props-foam-tankard-potion-crown-by-nerfenstein.jpg

I've got some others but I don't want to bore you all!
How about you, foam props FTW!

That's one BA Mal pistol! Just by looking at it I cannot believe it's foam!

All I have is a reach sniper but it was based off a nerf gun then foam added to change the shape and add details

WOW I would not have guessed any of that was foam. So it is true. With enough foam and superglue, we can build just about anything.

Wow you've got some serious talent with foam. I'd love to see what else you've done and it's not boring at all. I want to get into foam soon as I have the Ironman bug. Lol

Ben

This is an Avenger I made out of EVA a while ago. I'm going to be starting on a BR from Halo 4 with EVA soon, so I'll actually be able to contribute something new.

902090_10200141776561423_1825896786_o.jpg

I gotta say, I'm really surprised with what you were able to get out of the foam, especially with the books and mugs. They have a distinct 'Warhammer' look to them, which is really cool.

Thanks for the responses so far guys.
Daemon
That is a great Avenger. I'd love to see what else you come up with.
WardWorks
Here is another image of the foam tankard, it shows it a little better.
nerfenstein-LARP-props-crown-tankard-potion.jpg

There must be more people making things from EVA and other foams? It's such a great material to practice on.

Attachments

• nerfenstein-LARP-props-crown-tankard-potion.jpg
    nerfenstein-LARP-props-crown-tankard-potion.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 271
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,
the short answer is: dry brushing. Usually I would use multiple shades / types starting with a dark version and working up to a lighter version. I think from memory the tankard for example has 4 or 5 shades of brown on it (not that you can see them, but I know they are there ;p), the same with the metallic parts.

Hope that helps.

Reacher
You can do that, or plastidip (expensive here in Australia), or with closed cell, nothing at all.

I thought I'd update this thread with another foam build, though not a prop as such.

Dreadnought / Mech model 20cm.

b4-after-dreadnought-40k-foam-model-build-nerfenstein.jpg

dreadnought-mech-model-display-made-from-foam-nerfenstein.jpg

Attachments

• dreadnought-mech-model-display-made-from-foam-nerfenstein.jpg
    dreadnought-mech-model-display-made-from-foam-nerfenstein.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 209
How is Plastidip to work with? Ventilation wise is it really bad for the ol lungs ?

@Reacher
You can do that, or plastidip (expensive here in Australia), or with closed cell, nothing at all.

I thought I'd update this thread with another foam build, though not a prop as such.

Dreadnought / Mech model 20cm.

http://girlygamer.com.au/wp-content...adnought-40k-foam-model-build-nerfenstein.jpg

http://girlygamer.com.au/wp-content...-model-display-made-from-foam-nerfenstein.jpg

YUSSS WARHAMMER 40K

So I'm currently making a Halo 4 BR for a friend out of polystyrene. I currently have the first primer coat down but I haven't had a chance to upload the new set of pictures. The last picture I uploaded was of the rifle at around 90% completion with the scope, trigger and a few various details not yet added.

1011359_318874598247328_724058425_n.jpg

How is Plastidip to work with? Ventilation wise is it really bad for the ol lungs ?

Spray plastidip basically has the same ventilation requirements as any can of spray paint.

Zaul - What Daemon said. I only used it once as it was almost $40 a can and that's way too much for me.
Daemon - Great job. I'd like to try a few Halo weapons and more Mass Effect, just need to find the time.
Uridium - Wow great job on that helm! (Side note, awesome username, one of the best games ever made, Braybrook FTW!)

Some very nice work going on here. :)

Another Aussie. I mainly make EVA foam armour but I've made a few foam-related props here and there too for close friends. They're not all made completely of EVA (a bit of this and that as I find them) and they're not as nice as I've seen here but anyways...

Gears of War 3 Retro Lancer for a former friend for her birthday (and Anya costume). This was made before the game around the time photos of the replica were released. Made of EVA floor mats and craft foam there is an MDF core to allow the rifle to be rigid.

Harley Quinn's Cork Gun for my surrogate lil' sis. Handle came from a decent size toy snub nose (and if you know anything about Aussie gun and replica legislation you know that was quite the rare find). Another surprise present for her when we went to Melbourne for a convention.

Black Widow was actually my favourite character from The Avengers so when a friend (a multi-award winning cosplayer) asked for help with her very first comic book costume it was difficult to say no :p Again, EVA floor mats and craft foam used especially for the details on the holsters.

The iconic weapon from the video game Lollipop Chainsaw. Two of my friends needed this to avoid people asking "Where's your chainsaw?" every single damn time. The main body is made of foam and although longer than some conventions allow it's built in such a way that it will break apart if someone were to be a little too exuberant in their play.

I don't watch a lot of anime so I had to research this one a little in order to make Blue Rose's Liquid Freezing Pistols from Tiger & Bunny. The handle and base are EVA as well as a few of the details along with plastic glassware, PVC tubes, cheap pens, and whatever else. It also lights up thanks to some small LED torches I pulled apart.

Eventually, I plan to make myself an Assault Rifle from Halo to go along with my armour but I seem to always forget to make the time. :p

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back