Megaman Starforce Build WIP - Foam and vinyl style - Pic Heavy!

Joy

Nearing completion on this commission, so I thought I'd put up what I have thus far. I'm working on this for a very lovely client who was looking for a way to have a shiny/ sleek armor while still being able to bend her arms and legs, which wasn't gonna work with any sort of rigid material. Thus, I decided on foam for the form construction, and because I have never been able to get foam to 1: paint smoothly 2: actually stay painted, I decided to cover the foam in stretch vinyl instead. The colors of the armor were available and the stuff is really quite sturdy and super water/stain repellant. So here goes!

For reference, this is the Megaman version I was asked to create:
an6tPWu.jpg

A few modifications were made to makes for a better fit and more functionality; extended the chestpiece since this is to fit a woman, enlarged the backpack to allow for storage, adjusted some ratios on the helm, ect.

I did a tutorial for the basic way I assembled the foam and vinyl, which can be found here: -Removed until site is fixed-
Basically there's an inner structure of foam, then an outer structure of foam that has been "skinned" with stretch vinyl using contact cement. It's really sturdy and can actually be crushed and it'll return to form and original smoothness with only minor coaxing.

I won't spam off with all of the progress bits, but here's where we stand now:

Chestpiece, pauldrons, and backpack. I still need to take new photos of these, as I have since added the front star emblem and backpack gem latch. I've also finished the backside fasteners, so ignore that blue painter's tape. :p I've also fixed some form issues causing wrinkling in the backpack vinyl. The backpack opens up to reveal a ~ 3x3x5" storage compartment and fastens with a bit of velcro. Enough to hold a room key, some cards, a phone, a con badge, ect.
2XEgy.jpg

4Qzwg.jpg

Emblems:
gBqKd.jpg

Non-powered arm, again, old pic, have since fixed the wrinkling issue. Need to take better/newer photos
B5wHQ.jpg

The helmet, made from a chopped up large clear acrylic dome, cast resin ear parts and eva foam "Hair", the visor flips up for better visibility.
bDhKDfK.jpg

And the currently in-progress powered arm, Omega Xi. I'm in the process of skinning him, I'll also be doing the energy blast behind the head, which will also be LED lit in the same way as the mouth and eyes.
MTzweHs.jpg

I'll try to take more updated photos here shortly and keep y'all updated as the build progresses. After I finish up Xi and the legs/feet it'll be back to all Loki, all the time!

Last edited:
This is awesome! I really love this technique, I might have to try it sometime. Can't wait to see the whole suit. Great job.

Thanks for the kind words!

Just a notice, sometime after I posted this last night, I was alerted by google that my site may be compromised, after some searching, it looks like it is. So I'm going to be removing all links to my site until I can get my hosting company to fix the problem. If you did go to the posted link, wouldn't hurt to run your favorite virus/malware scanner just in case.

Let us know if you get your site fixed, I'd love to see more about the process. I think I want to try this for the Samus suit I'm working on. This is really one of the coolest, most original style builds I've seen here in a while.

NO WAY!!!!! This is for a commission??? Im a huge megaman fan and I must say your starforce suit is coming along very nicely and very accurate. Especially the helmet I absolutely love it! I would love to have you do a megaman suit for me someday too. I'm definitely going to keep my eyes peeled on this thread. You have made my day =D

Let us know if you get your site fixed, I'd love to see more about the process. I think I want to try this for the Samus suit I'm working on. This is really one of the coolest, most original style builds I've seen here in a while.
Will do! Got the word from my host that the problem -should- be fixed, sent a request to google webmaster tools for a re-evaluation, so fingers crossed that it comes back clean!

NO WAY!!!!! This is for a commission??? Im a huge megaman fan and I must say your starforce suit is coming along very nicely and very accurate. Especially the helmet I absolutely love it! I would love to have you do a megaman suit for me someday too. I'm definitely going to keep my eyes peeled on this thread. You have made my day =D

Thanks! I'm always surprised how much of a fanbase Megaman still has. I only imagine today all the fans are ecstatic thanks to Nintendo's E3 release. The helmet was such a royal pain in the butt at times, and certainly the most painful to produce. Cutting acrylic domes is so not fun, sharp, hot plastic slag flinging into my arms and hands..bleh! However, I just adore how it came out, I just wish I didn't have such a big bloody head and could get some decent shots of me in it before sending it of to my client!

Omega Xi is on hold for a day or so til I can get to the store for some white EVA foam, but aside from some smoothing and nitpicky things, his head is done, the wiring and battery pack are tucked neatly behind their access flap and the wrist strap and hand hold are in!
C9EPWFC.jpg

gG7HpwE.jpg

Whoops! Forgot to update this. Just waiting for some more LEDs to arrive to finish the blast behind Omega-Xi/Warrock's head.

The legs came together pretty easily, and the feet are seriously boats.
qYUAc7G.jpg

bDiadcH.jpg

TPiWShp.jpg

W4Uypwb.jpg

The feet are made to just slide over her own shoes, best option for safety and comfort for the con.

I'll post more shots once I finish the blast effect!

I love this thread and love megaman. the Vinyl over the foam looks fantastic you just opened a whole new world of possibilities for me and for that i thank you

And done!

TGRipkL.jpg

I did the blast effect by combining transparent green pvc sheets and white EVA foam that was given a neon green gradient edge with sharpies and alcohol.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back