Helmet visor

fullbob

Trying to find a way to figure this out. Got a piece of lexan I was given but it's 1/8" and a bit too sturdy to fold into place. What is everyone using to make their visor and how do you get it tinted?

Thanks for the info.

I havent got to that point yet on my helm, but I found some advice here on the boards to use a cheap welding mask visor.

Will see if i can google up an example....

EDIT: Ok, didn't find what I wanted searching for welding mask, but somthing like this (but with a darker visor)

http://www.castreekilns.co.uk/clear-visor-1013-p.asp
(Please note, I havent ordered from this website before, just using it for the picture)

OR, maybe a motorbike helmet replacement visor (can get many different shades quite easily)

ANOTHER EDIT:
I was also advised to use velcro to stick the visor in. This way its easy to re-position or replace should you scratch it or want a different colour/shade visor.

Last edited:
used a lvl 3 wielder lens for mine, unless you have a light source shine from the back you cannot tell its a wielder's lens. An added perk it slightly reflective so you can see some reflection in it but not enough so a flash of a camera can bounce back on it. Also easier to work with as supply companies usually sells them in various thicknesses, decided to go a little bit thicker than the norm, about the same thickness as a motorcycle tinted replacement visor with mine.

Here is what it looks like when installed in my helmet
305668_10100387404031216_356480500_n.jpg

I got my visor from Zoro Tools. Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies I thought it was a level 4 tint, but Angelus used a level 3. It is a replacement welding visor, (Sellstrom brand) and didn't cost much at all. I bought 2 when I ordered in case I wanted to do another helmet. I liked it because it already had a curvature instead of being flat, and fit my Pinski helmet almost perfectly without any cutting or trimming. It did come with a couple tabs on the sides, but they were easily bent and broken off, as well as some built-in hardware at top to mount the visor. These also broke off without me having to cut it.
Just remember that with welding visors you need to look for the tint number to be somewhere around 3 or 4. It is actually a dark green, especially when held up to the light, but in your helmet it doesn't look green at all.

Brent

Indeed, as like I said unless someone gets in my face with a flashlight and shines it right on it or a light shines from behind you cannot tell the difference bwt a tinted black or the wielder's lens.

For this is not the first helmet I used a wielder's lens in. I also used it in my SW Clone Commander Bly helmet. The only problem with it is though, you may want to keep your helmet off at night or in very low light situations as I've run into some problems, also elevator indicator lights sometimes don't show up when you look through the visor, have had that experience more than once while suited up in my clone armor, among some floor indicators as I've also noticed. But nothing simple counting of the dings does not solve.

Yeah, I found out about the welding visor from someone who used it in their Boba Fett helmet! Outdoors, you can see brilliantly through these. Indoors, it really varies due to lighting. I almost can't see my own reflection when looking in a mirror in the house unless I'm in a bright light source like the bathroom.

Brent

I fitted a cut down motorcycle visor to mine over the weekend, and I'd really NOT recommend it to anyone else. Motorcycle visors are too thick and unworkable to fit comfortably in the quite tight curve across the front of the helmet, I'm gonna ditch it and find something thinner and more workable to enable a better fit that doesn't try and cut my nose off.

Made my visor with a cheaper option.
Went to a local office supply store and picked up a a4 sized document protector, the thicker pvc type. Kind of what they put menus inside of in some restaurants.

Menu and Bill Holders | Officeworks

(I'm an aussie so the above is an aussie suppliers site for reference purposes)

After that I picked up a roll of cheap car window tint.

Cut out the window tint to fit inside the protector, trimmed the protector to fit as a visor in the helmet, glued visor in place, done.

Cheap, quick, no heating or shaping required and the view through the visor is like a pair of dark sunglasses.

Made my visor with a cheaper option.
Went to a local office supply store and picked up a a4 sized document protector, the thicker pvc type. Kind of what they put menus inside of in some restaurants.

Menu and Bill Holders | Officeworks

(I'm an aussie so the above is an aussie suppliers site for reference purposes)

After that I picked up a roll of cheap car window tint.

Cut out the window tint to fit inside the protector, trimmed the protector to fit as a visor in the helmet, glued visor in place, done.

Cheap, quick, no heating or shaping required and the view through the visor is like a pair of dark sunglasses.

Great idea!!!
But will it be strong and solid enough as a visor? Just wondering if it will flex and get scratched easily...

Can you post pics for reference?

Did you use the Sellstrom Visor? I see they've posted 2, the "Visor" and the "Replacement Visor" which is $3-4 more. I'm just curious because I bought a Pinski helmet recently, and since I'm new to costume builds, I'd really like to try and get something that doesn't require a lot of cutting.

I used 2 screws on each side to secure the visor since there's a slight tension to keep the sides of the helmet more closer to your cheeks...

Great idea!!!
But will it be strong and solid enough as a visor? Just wondering if it will flex and get scratched easily...

Can you post pics for reference?

Sorry about the quality of the pics, done with ipad camera.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I was going for the beat up look.....and I did a three day rush job on this helmet.
Haven't had any problems with scratches, and these are after I had the helmet on all weekend for a con.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 220
I've used two Motorcycle visors in my two lids and to be honest, they look amazing front on - they're thick and heavy, with a nice sheen.

However, due to the arc in the material, side on they leave a large gap on the helmet bridge and frankly, look rubbish.

So, I'll be getting a thinner tinted plastic and velcro'ing it in when I have the time. If anyone has a specific suggestion for a UK supplier, it would be appreciated!

Finally i went to my local security equipment shop and was able to buy a dark green replacement lens Visor. It's actually darker than shown on the image and it's already curved so it should fit nicely in the helmet. I haven't finished it so I can't say for sure but i'll upload some pictures when it's done.

edit: cost is about 15$ cad

Your template would be different for each size helmet. I just pushed some paper inside my helmet and sketched where I needed the visor to go. Was pretty much a rectangle with a bit cut out of the top-middle to allow it to sit snugly against the inside of the helmet.

From what I understand (and how I did my 2 helms) is that the visor sits inside the helmet, not cut to match the eye shapes etc.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back