Spectre

re: Bond 24

I have a feeling I'll be in the minority here but I've never thought much of her as an actress at all so this isn't great news for me.

Noooooo. I can't stand her. Between her voice and her beak like nose, I want to jump off a bridge every time her dumb coffee commercial comes on.

Other sites report this as a rumor and not yet confirmed.

With Bond 24 not due for some time we’ve probably got months to go before EON announces a title and proper cast, so take this report with a grain of salt. Sure, Cruz is married to Skyfall actor Javier Bardem, so it seems like a neat and convenient trick that she’d be cast in the film. But the report comes from Yahoo UK, and the UK press loves to speculate wildly about Bond casting well before any reliable info is available. The source passes on word from an unnamed source that contract details are being worked out now, but since there’s no shoot schedule at this point, and possibly not even a finished script, don’t be surprised if Bond 24 gets underway without Cruz as a Bond girl.
Penelope Cruz Rumored For ?Bond 24? | /Film

I'd rather not see big name actors/actresses in a Bond film. I think they're trying to use a rumor to get people excited for it.

Yeah, not at all excited about Penelope Cruz. She's a talented actress, but wrong as a Bond girl. In my recollection, with only a handful of exceptions, when they "cast big" for a Bond girl it often doesn't work out so well because she eclipses or at least rivals Bond for screen presence. That's not to say you can't cast a talented actress in a meaningful role, mind you. Just that her fame shouldn't automatically draw eyes to her in a scene, if you get what I mean.

Of the Bond girls that come to mind who were already famous to some degree...

...the following were disasters as Bond girls, as were the films they were in in many cases:

- Halle Berry
- Denise Richards
- Tanya Roberts
- Grace Jones (famous more as a disco/Studio 54 icon, really)
- Britt Ekland
- Jill St. John
- Teri Hatcher

...and only the following famous Bond girls were good (in my opinion):

- Diana Rigg (because she's DIANA FREAKIN' RIGG)
- Honor Blackman
- Sophie Marceau (because she was playing an interesting surprise villain)
- Eva Green (arguable whether she was actually famous, as opposed to merely recognizable)

Generally speaking, I find the "famous" Bond girls to be an example of "stunt casting" which suggests that the overall story is going to be weak and will rely instead on the name draw of the women involved. It can still work sometimes, but I find the film is WAY better when the Bond girl is someone who can act the hell out of a role and who is not at all bringing "brand name recognition" to the table.

Yeah, not at all excited about Penelope Cruz. She's a talented actress, but wrong as a Bond girl. In my recollection, with only a handful of exceptions, when they "cast big" for a Bond girl it often doesn't work out so well because she eclipses or at least rivals Bond for screen presence. That's not to say you can't cast a talented actress in a meaningful role, mind you. Just that her fame shouldn't automatically draw eyes to her in a scene, if you get what I mean.

Of the Bond girls that come to mind who were already famous to some degree...

...the following were disasters as Bond girls, as were the films they were in in many cases:

- Halle Berry
- Denise Richards
- Tanya Roberts
- Grace Jones (famous more as a disco/Studio 54 icon, really)
- Britt Ekland
- Jill St. John
- Teri Hatcher

...and only the following famous Bond girls were good (in my opinion):

- Diana Rigg (because she's DIANA FREAKIN' RIGG)
- Honor Blackman
- Sophie Marceau (because she was playing an interesting surprise villain)
- Eva Green (arguable whether she was actually famous, as opposed to merely recognizable)

Generally speaking, I find the "famous" Bond girls to be an example of "stunt casting" which suggests that the overall story is going to be weak and will rely instead on the name draw of the women involved. It can still work sometimes, but I find the film is WAY better when the Bond girl is someone who can act the hell out of a role and who is not at all bringing "brand name recognition" to the table.

Couldn't agree more!

Bad news is that we'll be seeing John Logan write the next two as well.

I see it as a good thing.

I see it as a good thing.

Why? Because he wrote Gladiator and Star Trek: Nemesis? Of all the films he's been a part of, I don't recall anyone declaring how great his writing was. And Skyfall's writing was practically full of inconsistencies, convoluted plots and an unoriginal story.

And Skyfall's writing was practically full of inconsistencies, convoluted plots and an unoriginal story.

You're well documented on your thoughts on Skyfall. However it was the first film in a LONG time I saw 4 times in the theatres. I loved it. Getting that director/writer combo back is a good thing IMHO.

You're well documented on your thoughts on Skyfall. However it was the first film in a LONG time I saw 4 times in the theatres. I loved it. Getting that director/writer combo back is a good thing IMHO.

If this duo thinks that Bond is best as a completely uncaring, unprofessional, not fun, quick to giving up and actually lets the bad guys do their bad deeds, I don't know exactly what you're looking for in a Bond except someone who doesn't give a crap about anything or anyone. I personally like it if Bond actually cares about something outside of his unfounded loyalty to his country that, as stated, he's quick to abandon.

If this duo thinks that Bond is best as a completely uncaring, unprofessional, not fun, quick to giving up and actually lets the bad guys do their bad deeds, I don't know exactly what you're looking for in a Bond except someone who doesn't give a crap about anything or anyone. I personally like it if Bond actually cares about something outside of his unfounded loyalty to his country that, as stated, he's quick to abandon.

At this point with you the only response I can give is :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back