Birdman (Post-release)

We saw it Friday night. Great flick.

Spoilers!!!!!

I read an article where the director said he left it open for your own interpretation on how it ends. BS. When His daughter looks out the window, looks up and smiles.....he made it and was flying off. He saved his career, his relationship with his daughter and was now flying off to save the world.

SPOILERS:

The first way I interpreted it is that he actually died after he shot himself on stage, and that the hospital part was just some sort of heaven where he was at peace with literally everything/everybody.

The second way, is that he actually survived and in some way killed the Birdman by shooting his own nose (referring to the beck). However he still have this idea of freedom/happiness. So I concluded that he actually didn't jump out the window but just walked away from the room. The same way he jumped from the building while he actually took a taxi, earlier in the movie. People seemed to be cheering when this happened, which probably came from his imagination. So his daughter smiling of admiration was probably from his imagination too.

SPOILERS:

The first way I interpreted it is that he actually died after he shot himself on stage, and that the hospital part was just some sort of heaven where he was at peace with literally everything/everybody.

The second way, is that he actually survived and in some way killed the Birdman by shooting his own nose (referring to the beck). However he still have this idea of freedom/happiness. So I concluded that he actually didn't jump out the window but just walked away from the room. The same way he jumped from the building while he actually took a taxi, earlier in the movie. People seemed to be cheering when this happened, which probably came from his imagination. So his daughter smiling of admiration was probably from his imagination too.

MORE Spoilers:

Booooooo to you (tongue in cheek). Before I saw this movie I commented on the movie 'The Boy who could fly'. Everyone thought he was just an abused kid and a little 'off'. But in the end, he did fly off and saved the day. Thats the great thing about how the director left Birdman..........You can finish the movie in your head on the drive home. His daughter looking up and smiling said to me that she saw him flying.

Thats how I finished the movie.:)

SPOILERS:

The second way, is that he actually survived and in some way killed the Birdman by shooting his own nose (referring to the beck).

But the Birdman was still around at that point,....remember when Riggan went to the toilet & Birdman was there also?

The flying off ending reminded me of the ending of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang,.....& perhaps Grease,......can those cars really fly? we ask ourselves as we leave the theatre

J

Yeah but he told him farewell (not this politely). But that's why I'd rather like the fact that he might actually be dead.

He wanted to prove to Birdman that he could succeed without going back in making another Birdman. It's like he was trying to defeat his demons.
Which is funny, because it certainly goes back to the years when Keaton played Batman.

It's been shown a few times that his powers were just his own imaginations. So you guys say that he actually had real powers?
You guys are starting to confuse myself even more xD I wish the ending was a bit more literal :p

Last edited:
No way. He merely reinvented himself while reinforcing the fact, IMO, that he had to do something celebrity to even become relevant again....and the girl smiles cuz I have no idea what's going on?

It's a weird movie...not bad, but definitely weird. The drums got annoying for me but man did they successfully create that sense of desperation Keaton was feeling.
Not really sure how I feel about the movie as a whole but as for Keaton...just give him the Oscar already. That's one heck of a performance...that was real acting as far as I'm concerned.
It's sort of how I feel about The Wrestler...good movie but stellar performance by Mickey Rourke...who in my opinion deserved the Oscar for best performance.

David

Not at all what I was expecting and not even close to what I wanted out of it.

It was weird. It tried to hard. It was awkward. The whole "super power" thing made no sense... could he actually do that stuff or not? The end implied yes unless I didn't read far enough into it.

Was he actually splattered on the pavement and his daughter looked up smiling knowing he was released from his own torment or something weird like that?

I'm shocked this movie won the Academy award.

I didn't hate it... but I don't think I'll ever feel the urge to watch it again.

Just caught this, finally. Came across like it was made by an English Lit major who was insecure about how cultured and clever he was. Tedious. When I was in grad school, I would have thought it was an IMPORTANT WORK OF ART. But it was just a bunch of self-congratulatory Hollywood butt sniffing. Good god, the whole soundtrack was beatnik poetry reading drums. How anyone can be taken by this chest puffing pretentiousness is beyond me. Unless the whole thing was a satire on culture vulture artsiness, and I missed it.

Just caught this, finally. Came across like it was made by an English Lit major who was insecure about how cultured and clever he was. Tedious. When I was in grad school, I would have thought it was an IMPORTANT WORK OF ART. But it was just a bunch of self-congratulatory Hollywood butt sniffing. Good god, the whole soundtrack was beatnik poetry reading drums. How anyone can be taken by this chest puffing pretentiousness is beyond me. Unless the whole thing was a satire on culture vulture artsiness, and I missed it.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions and validating my reservations about watching the film in the first place. Not interested. Won't view.

You took a bullet for me.

Last edited:
You didn't miss anything, if anything you we're too kind.
The most positive thing I can say about Birdman? It wasn't a remake or a reboot.

And mind you, my harsh comments are from a lifelong theater lover. I actually seriously considered the whole "move to NY and become a stage actor" thing as a young man before wussing out and taking a more conventional path. I taught acting and history of theater for years. All that crap Norton's character spouts about acting? I get that. I've known those people. I also love superhero movies, Michael Keaton, and Ed Norton. I dig quirk. I gobble up downbeat existential crises. So this movie had every opportunity to appeal to me, but...it really, really just didn't work. I'm happy for those who did like it, but I was disappointed, and I feel like I'm almost the ideally sympathetic audience member.

My sister and I grew up theater people too. Sister graduated from Gregory Ables training ensemble in NYC, we are both still involved in our local arts scenes.
We, my sister and I, saw Birman together and had the same opinion, disgust.

I thought it was great. Keaton is an ex super hero actor who is trying so hard to stay successful and respected as an actor; BUT at the same time is torn because his subconscious is telling him he IS the Birdman. But the real beauty of this film is the filming and the dialog. It's really great. Some of the long shots they did are phenomenal IMO. It's very cleverly written and I think it accurately shows how hectic it could be behind the scenes of a play. The way the different personalities clash and all that.. I really liked it and as a film over all. it's written, shot, and acted better than American Sniper. And I like American Sniper a lot.

I think the music detracted from it a lot.

I think the people who put the trailer together are geniuses. They threw in all the good parts that would appeal to the super-hero demographic and probably fooled a lot of them into thinking this movie would actually turn into a super-hero movie.

I like Keaton, but I think he's like Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson... he plays Michael Keaton in almost everything he's in. He brings the same mannerisms to every.. role.. he does. So I didn't feel like I was watching him play Riggan. I felt like Riggan was playing Keaton.

I'd like to thank the academy... for leaking the screener of this movie. $10 well saved.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back