My Doctor Who River Song Journal build

Hi david!

Your version of river song's journal is my favourite one i have seen so far! I was so inspired by this tht i registered just so i can post a comment or two here and ask you a few questions!

Im having a go at my very first journal but i just cant seem to get the cover right. :( im using vinyl and craft glue. For the raised bits i used just some regular cardboard box. But everytime i try to press the vinyl down with the spoon, but the cardboard just flattens along with it.

- what kind of board did u use for the raised bit of the design?
- did you glue everything at the same time and then press in the design, or did u do it little by little (like from the left side of the cover, glue, press,press,press, then move on and work ur way thru?)
- how exactly did you use the spoon?

Sorry, im abit slow on this. It is my fisrt time :(

thank you!!
-rachel

Rachel,

Welcome to the RPF! I am flattered that my project inspired you to join. You will find many many talented people here with projects that will inspire you.

More details:

The cardboard that I used for the pattern was like what is used on the back of a pad of paper - not that thick, but solid cardboard. The base for the cover was thicker - about two to three times as thick as the pattern.

I am using leather for the cover, which had both more stretch to fill in the pattern and is porous enough to allow the glue to hold it until it is fully set. The craft glue is sort of like thicker Elmer's white glue (PVA). I wanted something that was not too fast setting to allow for adjustments.

I used the handle end of the spoon because it was about the right width to fit into my pattern with the leather cover. Since there was no way to clamp the leather into that pattern (and I tried making a wooden block with raised lines to hold the leather into the pattern - it didn't work), I just kept rubbing the cover into the grooves in the pattern until they held. I applied glue to the front all at once and then the spine, then the back. It took maybe ten minutes of pressing the leather into the pattern to get it to stick.

I would try to find some leather - old worn or damaged jackets are a good source to experiment with.

I hope that this helps. If you have any other questions, just ask.

David

By the way - that blue one went to my daughter - Rachel.

Hmm i think the vinyl cloth is too thick then :(
but anyway, i'll try n see if i can get any...tried to get some faux leather but they didnt have anything in blue! Thanks for your help david! I'll let you know if i need advice on anyyhing else! Thank u soo soo much :)
Hehe wht are the odds! Rachels think alike huh? Hehe

-Rachel

WOW! That looks great! I think that you are probably correct in thinking that this is a better use for the donor book.

David

Blimey! Ok, I want to make or buy one of these! The box cover idea is pure genius btw. And yes, like a previous poster... your master craftmanship of the diary COMPELLED ME to register here just to commend it!

Are you sure you don't have an Etsy store yet, OP?

Thanks so much for the kind words. The true masters who display their talents and share their builds here have inspired me in my projects. I have built a couple of diaries since the first posts, but haven't found the time to do more than a few now and then. I do appreciate your praise and am glad that I have inspired others. Post your efforts!

David

DSCN3958.JPGDSCN3959.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

I did mine out of cardboard. I might try foam next, see if that comes out better.

Not that bad for a first try :).
Maybe you want to take care to color the edges of the cardboard as well, since on some parts the original color can still be seen through.
I think building another one out of foam might give you an even better result, since the material should turn out more uniform, so go and give it a try :).
I used foam board for my own version of River's diary (http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=245683&highlight=River's+diary), but I coated it with leather for a nice overall surface in the end.

yeah the cardboard sucks to paint, so foam may be a better attempt. I was thinking of doing leather on top also. It depends on how the foam comes out.

Nice job! I love seeing everyone's Diaries. It's a great Doctor Who prop and also a good way to start building your own props.

David

Hi Airhead,

I love the build. I cam accross as I was researching to make one for my wife. You inspired me to go for a leather cover but I am at a loss as to what thickness to get the leather. It's the only piece of info I couldn't find. Thanks for sharing this with us all.

James

James,

I don't remember (if I knew in the first place) what weight leather I used. I'm guessing that it was around 2.5 oz. I sourced it through a vendor on ebay - PeggySueAlso-Leather - who sells pieces in a size that worked for the covering. I would guess that it is a bit thicker than typical bookbinding leather covering, but it worked. I didn't experiment much with glues, but the PVA craft glue allowed for time to work the leather into the crevices while having enough "tack" to hold things in place while working. Let me know how your project works out.

David

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back