My Doctor Who River Song Journal build

airhead

Sr Member
My daughter has developed into a Whovian and for her birthday, I thought I would try my hand at my interpretation of River Song’s Tardis journal. I loved the travel-worn look of the journal, but decided to make a blank “new” version that she could fill with her own story.

I looked at the screen cap examples and re-watched LKH to try to work out the dimensions. In the end, I settled on an overall outside of 7 5/8” high by 5” wide (add another 1/8” for the spine bands). To keep the journal close to the original dimensions, I added enough pages to make a useful size, but not too bulky.

01 River's_Diary.jpg

I chose a smooth finish white 28lb paper to give the pages a good weight. I would be sewing the signatures on cloth tapes and using mesh mull to secure the signatures, so the book could be opened flat without worrying about pages coming unglued and falling out over time.

02 107_1185.jpg

I wanted to use leather for the cover, again for esthetic purposes – it just looks and smells wonderful – and for long-term durability. The relief embossing of the cover would be built on the cover boards with a pattern of thinner strips of cardboard glued to it. The leather that I found appeared to be a bit thicker than what was used on the prop, but I thought that I could make it work.

I started folding and cutting the signatures to size. I chose 4 sheets per signature, giving 16 pages each. I decided on 14 signatures giving 224 pages for recording time traveling adventures. I sewed the signatures on three cloth tapes for maximum strength and affixed the mull using flexible glue.

03 107_1189.jpg
04 107_1190.jpg

Next came the cover. I had the embossing pattern glued to the boards and spread on a good layer of glue. I had already cut the leather to size, allowing for wraparound on the boards. I had visions of making a wooden “stamp” with raised ribs to force the leather into the pattern and even started working on one, when I realized that I could take advantage of the moderate tack time of the glue and just manually force the pattern. After a short search, I decided on using a spoon handle. Worked great! The only problem (which I was afraid of) was that as I worked the leather into the pattern, it would pull out of the adjacent recesses. So, I just kept working it into the pattern over and over until the glue had set enough to hold the leather in place. Tedious, but it worked.

I wanted the spine to be flexible and have the distinctive raised bands of the original. I ended up gluing strips of the excess cover leather together and then gluing them on the inside of the spine, again pressing the details in with the spoon (what a great tool! And you can use it to eat soup!). I finished the corners and was ready for the signatures.

I glued the book together and used a replica of some vintage blue-waved marbled paper that I picked up on Etsy to give the journal a finished look. I don’t know if there is any evidence that the original prop had a detail like this, but it looks nice. I also added a ribbon page marker that isn’t in the original, but makes the journal more practical. It is of the same ribbon stock that I planned to use for the tying-up, as in the shot on the night stand.

05 101_1159.jpg

While everything was drying, I thought that I would make a custom presentation box (this was a birthday present, after all) and glued up a cardboard tray and cover. I cut strips of cardboard and made a pattern to match the journal on the top of the cover and used a technique that I had seen others use to cover the box – crumpled blue tissue paper. I gave the box cover a coat of Modge Podge to give the paper some depth and when dry, sprayed that with a matte fixative for durability.

06 107_1160.jpg

Here’s the finished product. It was a success! What do you think?

07 101_1156.jpg
08 107_1161.jpg

David

Thanks! Turns out she had already talked to her brother about asking me to make her one of these. Happy Birthday!

With another daughter's birthday coming up, I decided to make a non-traditional version using Lauren's favorite color for the cover (she's not a big Doctor Who fan - yet). Construction was the same for this journal, but I got a few more pictures during the build.

David

Attachments

• 126.JPG
    126.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 444
  • 104.JPG
    104.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 549
  • 105.JPG
    105.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 460
  • 108.JPG
    108.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 438
  • 109.JPG
    109.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 465
  • 118.JPG
    118.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 448
  • 120.JPG
    120.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 531
  • 122.JPG
    122.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 394
  • 123.JPG
    123.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Great work airhead, a masterpiece and a truly beautiful example of the dying art of book binding. You just can't beat a beautifully leather bound book they really are items to treasure keep up the good work :)

Forgot to mention it but the presentation box you made for the book looks amazing too.

Last edited:
Hi again airhead,

I was just wondering if you could give me more details on one of the steps you carried out. In the third picture & the associated instructions you said "I sewed the signatures on three cloth tapes for maximum strength and affixed the mull using flexible glue."

I was just wondering how exactly you sew the paper? I can see that it appears that to sew the signatures to the tapes it appears that you simply sew one big stitch through the signature & then tie the stitch around the tape but I can see another row of stitching above & below the tapes & was just wondering exactly how you go about stitching this part?

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Thanks for all the kind words. These were fun to work on.

Lee,

The tapes are strips of cloth about a half an inch wide and long enough to attach to the cover boards. I first lay out the location of the holes for sewing on the outside of the folds of the pages. The first and last holes are about a half an inch from the top or bottom. Then space out the location of the tapes so that the first and third are about a half an inch from those end holes and position the middle one, well, in the middle. I mark all of the signatures at once so the holes will be even and then open each folded signature and punch the holes using that awl you see in the shot with the folded signatures. I punch the holes against a plastic cutting surface so that the awl doesn't make too big holes. Sewing is then pretty straight forward. I end up with eight holes in each signature.

The first stitch goes from the outside of the signature and then out through the next hole. I tie it off to the end of the thread and sew it across the tape and back in to the pages and out to catch the next tape and so on. At the end of the first signature, I just start on the next set in the same way, but at the end of the second (and following) signatures, I tie the thread through the loop in the previous signature to hold them together. I hope that this makes sense. I usually end up with two or more knots in the thread, because it's just too much trouble to drag that much thread through all that paper. I just add a piece of thread when I need to and tie the know on the outside of the signatures.

The thread doesn't go through the fabric of the tapes, so when it is all sewed up, you can tighten the book, buy pulling out the slack of the tapes.

I've got a bookbinding book around here that has a pretty good illustration of what's going on, but this may explain it well enough. Hope so.

It's not as hard as it may look.

David

Hi David,

Thanks for spending the time to explain it you made it sound a lot simpler that I thought it might be at first so I'm just going to have to have a go at making a book of my own now :) Thanks for the you tube link too I always forget to look there even though it's full of useful & obscure stuff.

BTW have you ever used looked at Instructables - Share What You Make they have some pretty interesting stuff on there too & I just check they have lots on book binding too the only problem there is that unless you upgrade to premium membership you can't download PDF instructions & there aren't many videos.

Anyway thanks again mate I appreciate your response.

Lee

Lee,

My pleasure. Show us what you come up with. I learned from looking at books and the work of others. The RPF is a great place to learn skills.

David

Hi
I'm making an attempt to craft my own homemade journal but, to be frank, I suck at it. I just wanted to know what exactly you did to get the impressions on the leather to stay, well, impressed? I saw that you mentioned using glue but could you go a bit more in depth? It'd be a great help.
Thanks.

Hi
I'm making an attempt to craft my own homemade journal but, to be frank, I suck at it. I just wanted to know what exactly you did to get the impressions on the leather to stay, well, impressed? I saw that you mentioned using glue but could you go a bit more in depth? It'd be a great help.
Thanks.

Sorry about the delay - I have been otherwise occupied and not paying attention to the "important" things.

Take a look at the green one. I used the Elmer's Craft Glue because it is thicker than regular PVA glue. After building the cardboard covers, I just painted the glue on the boards and stuck the leather to it. The glue is fluid enough that the leather slides around a bit and it take some real elbow grease and some faith, I suppose, to work the leather into the pattern. I used the end of a spoon, since it was about the right width and pollished to avoid tearing the leather. I just kept pushing it into the pattern - with a fair amount of force - over and over until it stuck. It probably took 10-15 minutes of nearly constant rubbing to get to a point where I thought that I'd done all that I could. I didn't want to use contact cement; I wanted to have the glue react about the way that the Craft Glue did. If it had been thinner leather, I imagine that it would have been easier, but I'm pretty happy with the results. I've been thinking of trying to improve the bands on the spine to make them more like the original. I built up the bands on mine with small pieces of leather so they would be flexible - I'm not sure how thick I can make them before they stop flexing.

Hope this helps - let me know how your efforts are going.

David

Hi David-

I found this topic (and this entire forum…very cool!) searching for pictures of the River Song diary to make for my daughter as well; your build was very inspirational and I decided to go for it. I've included a couple of pics of the final; the only thing I haven't done (yet!) is try to make a box for it.

Thanks again!

Ron

IMG_3333.jpegIMG_4532.jpeg

Last edited:
Ron,

Glad to help out. Looks like your attachments aren't working right.

This year is Harry Potter for my girls (and bullwhips).

David

How did you make the design for the cover do you have measurements you could share I wanna make on for my girlfriend we both love doctor who and where did you get your supplies and leather from? thanks for your help.

Brilliant! Looks excellent and seems like a pretty straightforeward build. Thanks for breaking it down so well and for all the great pics too!

fastride85 - The dimensions ended up being dictated by the available size of the leather piece that I used for the cover. Check the first post for overall dimensions. I purchased the leather from a seller on ebay. Everything else (glue, sewing thread, paper, cardboard stock) was either at the local super store or just lying around the house. The pattern dimensions were originally a best guess on how the leather would behave, but ended up being pretty good. The only trick was using that craft glue that allowed for a good leather-cardboard bond in a reasonable timeframe, yet remain flexible when dried. Oh, and using a spoon to force the leather into the cardboard pattern.

zodiac - Thanks for the kind words! I know that this isn't a replica for a couple of reasons, but it turned out pretty well and is in use by my girls as real diaries, so success!

Happy New Year All!

David
airhead

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back