First steps into foam building, Captain America Helmet

Ok, I got the bright idea of telling my boy he could be Master Chief for Halloween. So I needed to get up to speed on foam building. Little time with the search function lead me to JFCustoms speed foam building thread.

In there come with the suggestion to build the Cap' helmet first.

So I took the advice, learned a fair bit in the process. Mainly, cutting and how much glue is needed.

I used 6mm foam from Michael's, not to shabby for a first stab (not to good either LOL). Think I will try it again in 4mm and see if it will be easier around the eyes. I have a lot of clean up to do on the glue seams, but hope that when I get the spillover trimmed off that the plasti dip will help cover some of the divots.

Weather cooperating I'm hoping to try painting it this weekend.

capt_amreica_helm_glued_up_006.jpg glued_up_003.jpg

Definitely a good first run. JFcustom's Cap mask is on my to-do list for my friend's son.

Joining pieces is rough for me too. I've taken to testing seams with scrap pieces first to see what amount of glue I should need.

Another trick would be to put the visible edges together and then push them together with the glue going to the on the underside. Totally hard to explain, but see step 4 in this picture:
gluing4.gif
If you push the outer edges together first, then the glue should push down toward the interior of the mask instead. This doesn't matter since it isn't visible to anyone else and you can always cut the excess off.

Owner of image: JFcustom

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back