Star Trek into Darkness - Khan [Starting on spacejump]

Re: Star Trek into Darkness - Khan [Revision]

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404409807.640305.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404409859.138262.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404409944.005399.jpg

Hon hon hon wig testing. It's roughly styled.

Still needs a buzzcut, extra wefts in the back to cover up the empty spaces/layers, sideburns and a frontlace.

People are recommending me to actually cut it like this because they think it fits me (without painting it dark!! I'm ashblonde)
I think I'd rather go for half my length now :lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404409822.855209.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404409822.855209.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 79

Ok I've given it a bit of thought and I just did it. I've wanted it short for a while (I do this every once in a while. Grow it out, cut is short, grow it out, cut it short etc) And I donated my hair to charity. Plus the cosplay advantages, people really love it, the hairdressers loved it and I have quite some improvements since the haircut.

-Less headaches
-Less tense neck
-No more tangly hair constantly
-Less loss of hair
-Easy to style
-If blonde I could do brienne as well. lol

WxSpaYEl.jpg

and If I comb it backwards it comes really close to the actual Khan

lJzLGrql.jpg

I didn't get my samples in on time, and found 10 metres of dark brown cotton. And started making a mockup of the coat (the duct tape was a stand in for the edges since my mockup fabric wasn't big enough). During the match of Costa Rica - Netherlands, I started cutting out actual parts of the coat and put them together. Tomorrow I'll be mainly packing but I might be able to create the tails. The collar will take a while to figure out. The sleeves need more time too.

eNphaC3l.jpg

DySOpwcl.jpg

2VlsJMWl.jpg

Ala1upYl.jpg

qhjzzbLl.jpg

Tlnm6Knl.jpg

And for ****s and giggles I made a video because I was bored and had a mockup of the Starfleet version anyway.

[video=vimeo;99994800]https://vimeo.com/99994800[/video]

And I'm nearly forgetting the make-up tests

7AKRp6yl.jpg

2m5dizfl.jpg

(I need blue contacts.)

zK3AKewl.jpg

f5Rd98xl.jpg

IGIHIaol.jpg

sPLxGO1l.jpg

RwVA2sWl.jpg

What I need for one coat

The back flaps on the pics were not 'doubled' as the rest of the coat was. and they'll be sewn together around the bottom of the back and the slit will lower. I'll edit the front a little bit as well.

Also made a better hood.

X6GFVYSl.png

aLMAF27l.jpg

Last edited:

Badass! Loving the hair, looks perfect. What material did you make the hood from, out of curiosity?

Star Trek into Darkness - Khan [Revision]

Some kind of vinyl with a relatively even snake texture. It's the thing that came closest, even though I know the actual texture is very even and geometric

I'll keep looking for better fabric, but this will do in the meantime.

Thanks about the hair! :) I love it!

Ok just because someone posted a pic and I thought I had a pic of the same angle...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405452708.144239.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405452748.303397.jpg

I'd say: nailed it!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405452727.454201.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405452727.454201.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 47

Ok I have an idiotic idea. You remember that cannon he uses in the klingon scene?
Yes?
Ok.

I want to make it work, but not blast of course. But not just with LED's some fancy light effects, but I was also thinking of, since it's big enough, hiding a stereo set in it.

Because *this* Khan likes to party. I have an old stereo, but I can't use my ipod on it. So I'm kind of wondering if anyone has ideas. I'm thinking of making a wood base structure, or maybe something other (lightweight yet strong) and cover it with EVA foam. The barrel should be EVA as well...

tOCFIJal.jpg

kao2Wrol.png

0d9atzbl.png

dHDE92cl.png

and yes, I took refs wrongly. I need better ones. But that's not too hard.

I wouldn't suggest wood - it gets really heavy, really fast. A friend of mine made a TF2 gun entirely out of wood and can only carry the thing around for short periods before needing a break!

What about foam board or Sintra as a core? I've never worked with either material, but I see it being used for Attack on Titan stuff (the big boxy things that hang at their hips, whatever they are!). My husband built his TF2 Heavy gun out of aluminium, foam, and PVC pipe, which is another route to look into, but his gun was a lot of big round shapes, not as angular as this one, so aluminium might not be the way to go.

Sintra/Foamex is something I didn't think of. Good suggestion. I've seen some fun little portable players with bluetooth which would make it even easier. I'd be able to control the music with my phone (or maybe even ipod) which are then in my pockets. Convenient! And they're not too big.

I might order some samples of sintra/foamex then

IOZd981l.jpg

gFzNfX3l.jpg

eh4ZN0Ul.jpg

NX9WAx8l.jpg

H996SHnl.jpg

1t6pu2Al.jpg

it's even waterproof!

Handstitched (and thus uneven) trial for Khan’s collar. Including waxing technique. Don’t worry, for the actual collar I’ll use a sewing machine.

What I did?

• Used a sheet of plastic, thin and bendable, transparent. Usually available in craft and art stores.
  • Thick canvas,fluff,thing. It’s not fiberfill, but it serves my purpose. It’s actually used to fill lining in jackets for winter/autumn.
  • The brown cotton I already bought for the coat
  • The wax I made earlier.
I used the plastic sheet as base, since the collar needs to be able to stand on it’s own, as seen here.

YUPgE1dl.jpg

Then I put the fluff on top, and layered the cotton over it. Then I started, painstakingly so, stitching. After that was ‘done’ I heated some wax, and brushed several layers on the fabric, with in-between using the heatgun to get it in the fibers. After about 3 layers, I started rubbing/buffing up the fabric and that’s when the sheen started. I will try more of this on ‘loose’ fabric which is NOT the collar.
We’re getting somewhere..

My chin(s) are just a tad smaller. :lol (and my jaw wider...)

But thanks a lot!

I'm not going to go *that* far. Not even face prosthetics... I don't want to be swarmed and killed in a stampede ;)

You can get the same effect with more breathability if you use collar canvas instead of the plastic.

Hmm maybe yes. I was a bit afraid of it giving way to the fluff. But I can try an see if that works.

I got my sewing machine back to work. I didn't make pictures of the coat.

I made a sleeve pattern and prepared the collar a little..

FeI833hl.jpg

cWPKpm9l.jpg

(red/pinkish to see the edges, it was transparent first)

NDArZuwl.jpg

ZnBUw99l.jpg

Will work on it tomorrow more. Today I didn't feel very well and most of the time I worked on getting the machine working again.. >_>

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back