Star Trek into Darkness - Khan [Starting on spacejump]

kialna

Sr Member
UPDATE June 2015: Starting to hoard references for the next version; Spacejump

EDIT: all of this is redundant. I've started all over half-way through this page. And here are some pics of the more recent version!

Starting with this one as of today (Oct 5th, 2014)
bE82XpOl.jpg

Qo'Nos is done (more or less, some refinements are still going on)

bHsn4rjl.jpg

seisBCwl.jpg

=========================================================================================
Old stuff.

So I'll be seeing the movie next wednesday and made a very QUICK and inaccurate costume for the midnight screening. However, I do want it to become more accurate over time.
tumblr_mnmo88yQbP1s4hm69o1_400.pngharrison2.pngharrison3.pngharrison4.png

the shirt misses the starfleet emblem, the gloves will be replaced by leather ones
I ordered these boots:

JU811C004-909@1.3.jpg

Now I just need better pants, that weird scarf-thing, a better coat, and probably a new hairdo :lol
The last thing is necessary for months already. I won't cut it short but it has to be done! Don't worry, I won't cut my hair off too much.

But the scarf-thing bothers me. I'm taking a class in sewing, but honestly, what is it?

Benedict_Cumberbatch_blows_up_the_Gherkin_in_new_Star_Trek_Into_Darkness_poster.jpg

Anyway, for the premiere/midnight screening it will be fun enough.

Last edited:
Re: Star Trek into Darkness: Fem!Harrison

Looks good. Great reason for Kirk to chase you across the galaxy.

Hahahahahahaha if you look at it that way..

I also remembered I have a better pair of throusers, but forgot about them until I went to bed.

I thought of johanna harrison/khanya :p

Also ordered gloves and a scarf. Latter for the time being.

Here are pics of the premiere. It was a very nice movie, but the evening was spoilt afterwards.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370513073.868579.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370513096.667134.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370513108.268784.jpg

Re: Star Trek into Darkness - Khan [Revision]

Ok so I have been giving this a thought and I will start over from scratch. This time, I will go for the male version. Not just because it's easier for references and I don't have to re-design things. (like the hair, which has gotten me stuck)

Eyes:
My local optician sells the eye-colour lenses in high quality with strenght, in his exact eye colour. Talking about getting lucky!

Hair:
I'm thinking of a front lace wig, which I can comb backwards, but style with fringe if necessary. I have some favourite wig sellers, but not sure if they have a front lace with this model. Now, I don't like my own hair colour (ashblonde..) and basically, because I lacked the money (all went to smaug and food), I didn't dye my hair. However, this is a good excuse to get it dyed again. Dark colours suit me fine. As long as it's a warm tone, and thank god Khan has dark-brown hair, bordering on black.

Costume:
I have been thinking about this. Using these references, I should be able to get something done. I know a shop in the next town which sells all weird kinds of fabric for costumes. Awesome.

xcXPqFzl.jpg

YUPgE1dl.jpg

While drawing sketches for patterns, I noticed the following.

There's no seam in the back. At least, not in the top. Knowing there's a slit in the middle, I figured they may be attached separately. I'll look into that. My experience as a finisher in a dry-cleaning company might help me with this. Heh....

YR8a5Brl.png

More pics of the collar. Makes me think of the egyptian crowns the pharao's used to wear. I'll probably use foam inside and stitch on top of that to create the ridges. They seem a little uneven at times, but that might be me.

pBpVPz1l.png

tMieVTdl.png

Also, this will be the first costume where I will actually create a prop. Starting with this rifle. One day. This is the rifle Khan dropped on the ground after surrendering. Not the one Spock holds before that. Khan shoots it out of his hand (possibly breaking it too). I have never made a prop gun before, so bear with me.

pUKWjv4l.png

Then it also seems the coat is tailored.

yN9oVhql.png

SRtvRill.png

I have an ok-butt (I think so myself HA!), so tailoring it to my back should work pretty ok-ish. If anyone finds details about where seams are and where aren't, then please don't hesitate to share it! It will be a while before I start (possible after June)

Last edited:

I solved the seam problem by looking at a wallpaper and the last two screenshots I posted.

hF0SMaMl.jpg

CYkJjHKl.jpg

I'm looking forward on tackling this one. I haven't seen a single accurate one. Some tries, yes, but more often than not, they make the same mistake I made the first time.
Mixing up the starfleet uniform with the 'Kronos' coat. Yeah no, that's not how it works. I have been too long on the RPF to tolerate inaccurate costumes. Hahahaha :lol

Beep boop! Here I am and I'm still recovering from the Smaug madness (which still isn't finished, but at least the deadline has passed, I've had my fun and now I'll take my time improving it.) But I casually look for things for this dude, and I've found some interesting fabric today.

Sort of fabric match for the hood. It’s not an exact match, and I am seriously thinking they made custom fabrics for the designs (michael kaplan is a genuis like that). One is with a blue light (white light with blue film over it) and one is neutral light. Considering the fact that most of the movie is shot with blue filters, I’m not really thinking the fabric needs blue weathering. Maybe I’ll rub it with some dark navy shoe polish and see how that works.

It would probably need to be double layered and lined with canvas on the inside. It needs to be pretty sturdy. At this point I’m just trying out things.

Last edited:

From the first picture in post 8 I can see that the seaming is very similar to a double breasted frock coat pattern in the front. There's a seam at waist level, or at least there is one on the facing. Not sure if it's also on the outside of the jacket. It makes sense, with a shawl collar like that, with that much stitching on it, they probably couldn't have cut the whole facing out of one piece of fabric.

I went to that costume exhibit in LA when it was open and I can tell you the coat fabric isn't leather, it's waxed cotton.

That makes a lot more sense given the flow of the fabric in some of the shots!

I know the waist seam is at least on the inside, outside was hard to find. But like you said, unlikely to have it made from one piece of fabric.

Making the collar is going to be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anovos is making a Khan coat. this is a prototype. I can’t see the back, so I can't check if the seams are correct.
From what I can see it’s horribly inaccurate in the collar area. It also doesn’t seem tailored to give a tapered shape. And they might’ve made the mistake of using leather.
And knowing Anovos, it’s going to be pretty pricy.

gqLF6uT.jpg

Ok so at least the first part is in.

WBSn6mJl.jpg

r00lXCDl.jpg

L4D6hDTl.jpg

These boots are in need of a bit of wear and tear (so I’ll be wearing them a lot from now on) and brown shoe polish (which I have). These were the closest ones I could get in my size and any kind of comfortable design.

I have small and thin feet, so unfortunately I’m a bit limited in my choice here. Since we don’t really see all of the boots, I opted for a bit of combat-like-yet-not-entirely. Most of it will be covered by the trousers anyway.

So... since Khan's coat is waxed cotton, I made (I hope) enough wax to do the coat. I also got some premade sticks, but rubbing those in took more than 5 layers and it still didn't look right. They were crayon sized and I imagine they wouldn't be able to do an entire coat. So I made a jar of wax.

k90yIp7l.jpg

s55JIJnl.jpg

YZRp28vl.jpg

ds09TxWl.jpg

6F9MknCl.jpg

PGt4R0Ol.jpg

W7UW8oHl.jpg

yMp0ui2l.jpg

This is with the sticks, 5 or 6 layers and then ironed

uo6W4CHl.jpg

Dipped & Ironed

ks0uPCXl.jpg

Dipped & less ironed
YARKZZFl.jpg

Dipped entirely
BI7bfFxl.jpg

7ZDuR8xl.jpg

p0NbgHEl.jpg

I learnt that with a heat gun, instead of an iron, the effect looks better. However I can't remember what kind of fabric this was, but it doesn't feel like cotton. Therefore, I will try again when I get my samples in...

Waxing your own cotton - wow! I'll be watching this to see how it goes- it looks like a fun (but complex) project.

The waxing is going great, but I think you're starting with the wrong type of fabric. I would look for something brown and much thinner.

Yes, like I said, this was fabric I just had laying around. I have ordered samples which haven't arrived yet. They are all shades of brown cotton. This wasn't cotton for as far as I know... so yeah. I have to try again when it arrives :)

Oh my bad, I was rushing through the post the first time.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back