3D Printed Samus Varia Suit - FINISHED! (Pics on pg.14)

Re: 3D Printed Samus Varia Suit

I
It's only a matter of time! Whether it'll be done in time for PAX, I'm not sure, but I am determined to finish as soon as I possibly can.

I'll be looking for you at PAX!
Also, welcome to theRPF

Beautiful work! I have a dinky home 3D printer and you've inspired me to start with some printed base pieces on my next project, rather than building from scratch. Won't produce anything close to what you're doing here, of course, but baby steps and all that. :)

Thanks for sharing! Look forward to seeing more of your progress.

Beautiful work! I have a dinky home 3D printer and you've inspired me to start with some printed base pieces on my next project, rather than building from scratch. Won't produce anything close to what you're doing here, of course, but baby steps and all that. :)

Thanks for sharing! Look forward to seeing more of your progress.

Hooray for 3d printing! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Killer job! Can't wait to see this progress!

I did a 2D Samus costume with my girlfriend, but I'd be remiss to not say that I'm awfully jealous of yours!

I saw your costume a while back and instantly fell in love with it! I love it when people think outside the box. A truly brilliant idea!
And thanks, haha!

This is very cool but as for painting, For myt armor I used a translucent blue paint from testors but you have to put a metallic paint under it for the look you want but Testors does not carry transparent yellow so you will have to look around for it in spray can or airbrush variety, also what is your plan for lighting the suit and have you figured out how to light it

I don't hit the costuming or prop pages as often as I used to, but this caught my eye. That is a damned impressive start. Nice job!

It was about 60 degrees or warmer out when I did it. It could have been any number of factors, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't because I was holding it too close or anything either. I applied it the same way I did the primer and the primer didn't do anything like the paint did (I held it 8-10" away like the can said). I'm sure with further investigation I could fix the problem, but since I found out I can use an airbrush I see no reason to bother with spray cans anymore. Thanks for the help though!

When using spray cans, the warmer the the can is the finer the the particles are when they come out the nozzle, when we wanted to get a good finish on models we made a university, we would GENTLY warm the can in warm water. So the warmer, the better for spraying, just for the future. The type of cap you use in the spray can greatly affect your spatter size, I would suggest this could be your possible cause of large particle size when coming to spraying.

Also, your problem with sanding in the grooves, there a couple of possible solutions I can think of: firstly you can buy sanding needles to get into those tight spaces. This is just the first link I found, but this the kind of product I mean: Albion Alloys Abrasives 320 Grit Fine White Plastic Sanding Needles AA346

From personal experience I have found that the grit wear off quite quickly, but they are useful.

Alternatively I would cut a thin piece of MDF, thin enough to fit in the groove, and use some double sided sticky tape to stick whatever grit sand paper you want to it and use that to sand down the grooves.

Hope this proves helpful, loving the build and good luck

D-D-D-D-D-DAMN! Very impressive so far, can't wait to see more!

Seriously, I need to invest in a 3D printer.

im a member now just to ask you about this... if you dont mind could you please send me the design you had sent to be entered in the printer? my dad currently is deployed in kandahar and says he has one where he works.
:eek

im a member now just to ask you about this... if you dont mind could you please send me the design you had sent to be entered in the printer? my dad currently is deployed in kandahar and says he has one where he works.
:eek

Hi! I'm glad you like my helmet! Unfortunately, this is just a personal project for me so I won't be giving away or even selling my work. Sorry!

Learning to 3d model (if you aren't familiar with it already) is really fun and rewarding, so maybe you could check out a few tutorials and try it yourself! There's quite a bit of free modeling software out there. If you need any tips I'd be happy to help!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back