3D Printed Samus Varia Suit - FINISHED! (Pics on pg.14)

Re: 3D Printed Samus Varia Suit

New coat of primer is on!

NqTIi69.jpg

SZHh8pT.jpg

y8k7RhK.jpg

N52Y76V.jpg

So much better!

You may notice the grooves haven't been sanded. I left it as is for a couple reasons: it's very difficult to get sandpaper in there (and the dremel melts the plastic which ruins the bit quickly), and I kinda like the contrast it provides. It's hardly noticeable in person anyway.

I also tested a red spray paint today, but I don't like it. Spray cans leave a very visible stippling texture (which I suppose I could wet sand, but meh), and the color of red wasn't very metallic. Maybe it just needed another coat or something, but it looked kinda lame. I discovered though that another friend of mine conveniently has a compressor and airbrush! This will be much better because it will be much smoother and I can make custom colors. I've been struggling with how to create the light yellow metallic color that's on the armor, but now I can just make it myself!

I own an airbrush and use paint cans often, and haven't noticed any extra stippling from using cans. Is it quite hot/cold where you are spraying?
Fantastic work anyway looking forward to more progress.

It was about 60 degrees or warmer out when I did it. It could have been any number of factors, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't because I was holding it too close or anything either. I applied it the same way I did the primer and the primer didn't do anything like the paint did (I held it 8-10" away like the can said). I'm sure with further investigation I could fix the problem, but since I found out I can use an airbrush I see no reason to bother with spray cans anymore. Thanks for the help though!

man how did i miss this until now. It looks great. I keep wanting to make a full sized Samus for the corner of my room near my old game system shelves.

Wow, excellent work so far! Great 3D modeling work, and the finishing of the printed model too. Can't wait to see this one done. :)

tumblr_mdrzey04G21qjoecd.gif

amazing! and this is just the helmet! subscribed! and some more !!!! just in case

Huge Metroid Prime fan here...my god, you did such an incredible job! :D Love to see more!

Wow, I have to just say - fantastic work, both 3D modeling and Printing! How was your friend able to print these so well, was it the modeling? I have't found anyplace/anyone that can do work like this.

If you do not print complete armor, it will be a sin, a crime, A TRAVESTY!!!! Fantastic work!

Wow, I have to just say - fantastic work, both 3D modeling and Printing! How was your friend able to print these so well, was it the modeling? I have't found anyplace/anyone that can do work like this.

I don't have any experience with other printers, but the higher end ones like the one we're using (Zcorp 450) definitely print better than most of the other affordable ones. Another thing to keep in mind is that it's normally absurdly expensive to print things this large, so odds are that the other things you've seen printed are much smaller and are therefore lower "resolution", meaning they would look a bit grainier, stair-stepped, etc.

If you do not print complete armor, it will be a sin, a crime, A TRAVESTY!!!! Fantastic work!
It's only a matter of time! Whether it'll be done in time for PAX, I'm not sure, but I am determined to finish as soon as I possibly can.

Wow! I'm anxious to see a full Samus build completed, and a very well done build on top of that. You have certainly created the best Samus helmet I've ever seen!

Thank you for sharing your pep files! From a quick glance they're WAY better than the ultra low res ones that have been around for a while.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back