3D Printed Samus Varia Suit - FINISHED! (Pics on pg.14)

Re: 3D Printed Samus Varia Suit

Have you attempted to use acetone to smooth your 3d prints at all? I've had good results on the pieces I've done and I'm working on a building an enclosure to make an acetone vapor chamber to smooth my 3d prints. Could save you alot of time and money with the work you're doing with bondo.

If you look at the earlier posts, you'll see that she wasn't using an ABS filament printer. Acetone probably wouldn't work.

Yeah I read a little further and found the zp-150 reference. I then looked up the MSDS on it and it's 80% plaster and 10% vinyl polymer and 10% carbohydrate. Kind of cool the ability to cure it with epsom salt and water though. I've been printing in ABS for the past year and recently started working with PLA. I'll have to look into this even though I hate proprietary filaments and build materials.

Aw, that's definitely unfortunate. I was so looking forward to seeing it in person this weekend and I know you were looking forward to wearing it! There's always ECCC!! But I hope to see it before that. :)

Hope you've have been enjoying PAX! I've kept an eye out but haven't seen you there. Are you going tomorrow (Monday) as well?

Well, PAX is here and after many, MANY long nights I finished Samus! However, I ran into a few snags, one of which unfortunately made wearing the costume to the con this weekend impossible. At some point I'll take the time to fix the problem, but for now I need to just drop it and enjoy the con instead. I have a backlog of build pics to write up a post about but I'll get to that later. Also even though I can't wear it now, I'll take some pics of me at least wearing it and get those posted soon.

So if any of you are looking for me since I said I would be at PAX, sorry! I'm so devastated that I couldn't wear it.

As I'm slowly learning, sometimes you just have to learn to enjoy con for what it is, even when you can't experience it the way you'd like.

You're doing an awesome job, and the fact that you're not willing to cut corners to hit a deadline speaks volumes about your craftsmanship. There will be plenty more opportunities for you to Samus up a con-floor. Keep doing what you're doing, and try to do your best to enjoy yourself while you're at it. Your project is going to be amazing when you're done with it... and I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone in this thread when I say that.

Oh man! I can't wait to see this finished! Sad you weren't at PAX, but I totally understand how that is, conventions are for fun not stress!

Take your time and don't rush anything, there's always more cons to visit in the future :) It's taken me more than 2 years to finish my first costume build, so patience really is a virtue in this hobby...

Thank you everyone for all the support! I guess this is just how it goes with huge projects like these.

Oh man! I can't wait to see this finished! Sad you weren't at PAX, but I totally understand how that is, conventions are for fun not stress!

Yay! Hi Holly! Yeah, I spent half of Friday stressing out over it and realized I just needed to stop. My sister went in costume as Eir Stegalkin so at least I got to enjoy the cosplay scene vicariously. Also, I was at the Game Grumps panel (it was absolutely hilarious, best panel I've ever been to!) and I saw your amazing Shield Knight and Shovel Knight costumes! Phenomenal as always! (******** it, Ross...) :lol

So the problem I ran into while suiting up Friday started with one of the thigh D rings shearing off. I had used JB weld (ridiculously strong adhesive that I had gobbed on there around the D ring and down and under a lip to create a hook shape to hold on to the armor) which I must have applied too thin, looking at it now. I repaired it in the hotel room with a metric assload of hot glue, but I was afraid to tighten the straps too much for fear of breaking it again or breaking the other, unbroken one. This caused the thighs to sit lower on my legs than they were intended to be, resulting in their collision with the shins. That tiny issue meant I couldn't bend my knees.

To make matters worse, the shins didn't want to stay together while I walked; the magnets wouldn't hold anymore. I had haphazardly shoved the light tape into the shins the night before (test runs are your best friend, everyone - not that there would have been time to do anything about it anyway) and that tiny amount of extra mass inside meant my leg muscles flexing while walking would force the shins apart. I was just going to hot glue myself into the shins (I tested it, it worked) but with the thigh issue I just couldn't go.

This project is not going to get the better of me! I've had a few weeks respite and I'm ready to wade back in! I may not actually start tackling the production of it immediately but I've started thinking a lot about how I'm going to proceed with the project. I was thinking today how nice it would be to have access to a 3d scanner so I could just scan the shins and shoes, then 3d print, mold, and cast new versions. That led me to doing some research and I found out that Autodesk 123D, software which I've seen before, also has the capability to turn a series of images into a 3d model! I'm going to try this. The "scan" doesn't have to be perfect, I just need the right general shape and proportions to work with so I can make a new 3d model of my own. I know how the current shins fit so I can work off that to create a 3d print of one shin which actually fits, then mold it, and cast it twice. Much easier than what I had initially planned on doing (lots of tedious surgery on the current ones). Being able to cast it in resin will also hopefully make the new ones lighter (they weren't too bad before, but not great).

To get my mind off of Samus I've also already started a new costume project which I'll reveal at a later time in its own thread. This one is much simpler but will still be quite popular with the crowds I think. ;D

Picture time!

Here are the infuriating shins, complete with shoe tongues which I had decided to clip on to the shins instead of the shoes because it fit better.
FXgVuun.jpgEc5wm2C.jpgHere you can see the tiny clip on the back of the tongue and the inside of the shin.

Apparently I only took one picture of how I was installing the magnets on the shins:
HEEPr21.jpgI cut a hole in one side to sink a magnet into, causing the connection to be flush (the other magnet half sat in the hole as well, creating a strong grip).

To support all of the cannon pieces and attach them together I ended up finding the PERFECT size cardboard tube, which was also really strong. I cut holes in it to allow for the top slits to be lit up and added in a handle which I later wrapped in 5mm craft foam for comfort.
lHaYQEP.jpg6d1pMUO.jpg

The rectangular holes were covered in these pieces of plastic which I painted with a gradient so the yellow light would fade to orange and then black.
tUOTPEC.jpg

I used a bunch of these adorably tiny popsicle sticks as spacers around the cannon gaps to make sure it was all spaced properly, then tacked them on with dots of hot glue, and finally filled the base of the gaps with JB weld after picking out the hot glue dots.
2Oy2hzF.jpgcqzga9F.jpg

And finally, a picture you've all been wanting to see (sorry, no whole costume pictures yet! Soon(tm)!) the chest and shoulders together!
EREpf6H.jpgBy this point I had stopped bothering keeping any surface in my apartment clean in favor of completing this damn project...haha!

The shoulders are mounted on the speaker joints I mentioned in a previous post, supported by this thick, laminated cardboard stuff which the new 3d printer came shipped in (yep, my friend got a new one! It's in my living room again ;D ) that is simply hot glued in there. It's not coming out, believe me.
y9jxhGN.jpg
After reinforcing the inside of the chest with fiberglass, I drilled a hole for the joint to mount onto.

That's all for now! I'm planning on getting pictures of me wearing the whole thing (should be interesting wearing it while not being able to bend my legs) in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

How did those speaker mounts work out? Do they give you the amount of mobility you'd hoped to get out of them?

They were perfect! I actually had to disable the ball joint because I didn't like how the shoulders kept bumping the chest. I tightened the screw on top which holds it at the proper angle but still allows it to rotate with the angle of my arm; the rod going from the ball to the chest mounting end is actually a separate, threaded thing so that's what continued to rotate. I haven't worn it much so if I end up needing to undo the restriction on the ball, I can add some sort of blockers to limit how far it can go toward the chest. I didn't have a whole lot of time to make sure everything was properly protected so maybe this is something I'll add to the list of things to improve, depending on how it looks moving the arm all around.

In case I didn't describe that well, I drew a diagram:
mKLSv8x.jpg

That's all for now! I'm planning on getting pictures of me wearing the whole thing (should be interesting wearing it while not being able to bend my legs) in the next few weeks.

Aren't you going to fix it up the way it was intended so you can bend your legs?

Yes but that fix will take way longer than a matter of a week or two. I'm going to remake the shins, along with a few other fixes. For now I just want a picture of me wearing it all, even if I can't walk in it.

Yes but that fix will take way longer than a matter of a week or two. I'm going to remake the shins, along with a few other fixes. For now I just want a picture of me wearing it all, even if I can't walk in it.

i've been patiently monitoring this thread hoping to god with each new post that there would be a suit up pic haha ITS GOING TO BE SOMETIME SOONN??

Haha! Yep, soon! The plan is to put it on and take pics this weekend. I need my sister to help me get into it and she's visiting from Portland this weekend.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back