Hocus Pocus Mask WIP

krazykelt

This is my first scratch build, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was looking through one of the request forms and I noticed that someone asked for the helmets from the old M.A.S.K. cartoon. Being a child of the 80s myself, I thought that these would be really fun to own. But other than the Venom mask posted on Ebay I have not been able to find any others, so I am going to try building one myself. Unfortunately I know almost nothing about 3d modelling or Pepakura unfolding so I have to build it physically piece by piece.

The first problem I encountered is looking for source material. It seems that animators in the 80s were not overly concerned with specific details. Not only did the masks appear to be rubber when worn and solid when carried, but even the proportions and ratios changed between scenes.

So I decided to just use this image as a basic idea
bradturner.jpg

The first thing I needed to do was build a rough paper model that I could hold and try on...
IMG_0684.JPGIMG_0685.JPG

It looks pretty silly, but from it I was able to get a good idea of where to go next.

Next I used eva foam to make a much nicer version...
IMG_0709.JPGIMG_0710.JPG

Now I am just waiting for a friend to lend me his dremel so I can do some finer work before I start painting and fitting the lens.

I do however have a question. I have never tried painting foam before and I am unsure if my seams are clean enough.
IMG_0711.JPG
Will PVA or Plasti Dip plus a couple of coats of primer and paint be enough to smooth the seams? Or should I use a silicone sealer first?

I will post more when I get the dremel

Not having worked with the foam i can only give my opinion, i'd clean up the edges with a fresh scalpel/exacto blade get it as crisp as possible then seal with pva glue

PVA is the most common solution to seal and paint foam.

As another 80's child, the MASK looks great btw. Very original idea.

I was finally able to get some more work done on this project.

I used the dremmel to cut some holes for the hardware and added a couple of coats of Plasti Dip
IMG_0719.JPG IMG_0721.JPG

I had hoped to do the yellow coats, but the weather turned too wet.

Very cool. I was thinking of building a MASK mask as well some time ago and this has renewed my interest. Well done, looking forward to seeing it completed.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back