WIP: my chucky doll repaint/upgrade

berger

Sr Member
after seeing howlrunners thread a year or so back, i had always been really impressed and wanted to attempt to do this myself, but didnt have a chucky doll. until a few days ago.

my girlfriend, who i hadnt even told about this, found one of the chucky dolls on a facebook garage sale type group, they were wanting 35, claiming it was going for 150ish on ebay, i was skeptical, since a quick check saw you could still buy them on the hot topic web site for 50 bucks, but we went and picked it up for 30 bucks. not a bad deal at all. she wanted to try and sell it on ebay, but after i showed her the pictures in howlrunners thread, she agreed to let me hack at it.

bear in mind, i am completely new to sculpting anything, ive got no idea what im doing, and im borrowing HEAVILY from howlrunners thread as a basic how-to. so if your unfamiliar with what im doing, heres his thread.

DAY 1

starting off, i noticed a few differences in mine, and whatever doll he had, everything appears to be the same from the outside, but his was a soft bodied doll, and mine is a hard bodied, came with a stand, and a little push button talking thing attatched to the stand that says a few lines from the movie, which is useless to be, but hey, the hard bodied doll is pretty sweet, it saves me the time of ramming some clotheshangers into it to make it stay upright. BUT, it also means getting the damn head off was a lot more work that clipping a zip tie. i had to have my girlfriend grab the body and me yank on the head and wrench it back and forth to get the damn thing off.

heres a generic before picture so you know what im working with

947387_605692602783319_322162847_n.jpg

i didnt take pictures of every step, but i dremeled out the eyes, chopped off most of the hair along the front of the thing, and then gave it a quick base coat of cheap skin colored acrylic paint from michaels, since hobby lobby was closed because it was sunday. by the way, michaels does not sell milliput, but hobby lobby DOES, at least according to their website. so we took a trip to walmart thinking i might find some epoxy putty there. AND I DID! but upon getting home and trying to mix it together, discovered that it was old as dirt and dried out to hell, and unusable.:angry

972315_605693619449884_1089588383_n.jpg 1201_605693779449868_155944315_n.jpg

the paint appears much pinker in real life. i ordered a set of these glass eyes in light blue, size 22mm... or at least i THINK i did, because no matter how hard i looked, i couldnt find anything on the site that says if you get 1 eye, or a set, when you order. but i did send them an email after i placed my order stating that i would in fact like a set of 2 eyes, and to charge me accordingly. being as its memorial day weekend, im not expecting a reply anytime soon.

DAY 2

while i was at work, i had my girlfriend punch down the remaining tufts of hair that were left from where i chopped it off. i swung by hobby lobby to pick up some milliput, only to be told they dont carry it by the lady working, and shown to the sculptey aisle, and told that this was all they had. after some searching i FOUND milliput, on an endcap of the model airplane aisle. but the superfine white was dried out all to hell as well, but they did have a pack of yellow that was still soft, so i grabbed that and headed home.

some of the scars on this thing arent accurate at all, and some are, so i covered the ones that i knew werent right, and lengthed some of the others, as well as made some deeper and more pronounced, i also carved off all of the fake staples, and drilled little holes through the head, so i could sew it back up together with real string instead of painting them, which i can already tell is going to be a long pain in the ass process.

300682_605694152783164_1957411394_n.jpg

once i got the scars sculpted, and let it dry for a good 4 hours, i painted over it again with a base coat, highlighting all the flaws and bumps in the left side of the picture, but hey, hes SUPPOSED to look broken and messed up RIGHT? thats what im telling myself. most of that will be covered with stapled on hair anyway.:lol

292310_605767722775807_509805583_n.jpg

Last edited:
Re: my chucky doll repaint/upgrade

DAY 3

recieved shipping confirmation about the eyes, they do indeed come in a set. ive gone over the scars with a few washes of pink and red to make them pop out, still havent gone in with any bright reds just yet. i also went over the teeth with some white, as well as cut a gap between the teeth leading into the head to get it a bit more depth. I think im going to hold off on any more painting until i get the eyes put in place, hopefully they dont take to long to arrive.

does anyone know what type of glue i should use to attach the hair? ive got a hot glue gun and was planning on using that, but i dont want to end up with globs of glue on top of the head

166065_605829259436320_32860259_n.jpg943213_605829126103000_432579845_n.jpg

Day 4

i got the eyes installed, now im just waiting for the epoxy to cure for a few hours before i whip out the paint and finish that off, then its stitches, staples, and hair

969081_607194352633144_13822149_n.jpg

does anyone have any tips on how to glue the hair down and make it look natural without leaving any globs of glue?

i was planning on using hot glue but if something else would work better i would love to hear it!

Just did this using Liquitex ultra matte gel medium to glue on the hair. This hair is wool (crepe hair) and Chucky's is synthetic so hot glue will probably work better.
y6upy7e8.jpg

agu2egyr.jpg

My understanding of the technique is to take a small clump of hair, freshly cut so all the ends are even, apply a little clear, very hot, hot glue to all the ends and immediately touch it to the head and hold it til the glue cools. Start at the nape of the neck and work forward. Angle the hair so its angle matches the normal hair growth (down in the back, forward in the front, etc.) in the area you are working on. Smaller clumps near the hairline and whorl. Comb to remove loose hairs. The idea is to glue on way more than you need so that when you remove the loose hairs, it still looks dense enough. Trim to final style/length.
Hope this helps.

DAY 5

ive got the eyes installed and i started working on the stitches, man, let me tell you, these are a PAIN IN THE ASS. i had drilled small holes almost all the way through were each stitch would go. and has originally planned on using a needle, and threading it through, tying a knot in it from the backside, pulling the slack back through, rethreading the needle, and doing the same to the other side of the stich. but thats just not possible, its become a huge pain in the butt. so i ground down the eye of the needle to make a hair punching tool, and have just started punching the ends through that way, which is working out pretty well. until i hit the epoxy holding in the eye.... and popped the larger eye out! the epoxy and eye fell out in one large piece, there just wasnt enough texture on the inside of the head for it to grip and make a super tight seal. luckily it all came off in once piece, and only fits back in in one way, so i wont have to re-align anything when i install it again. but im going to finish up with the stitches first

to keep the other eye from popping out, im just going to dab a little glue in the hole, and gently place the thread in it instead of poking it all the way through.

485861_607556102596969_362217096_n.jpg

finished the stitches and glued the eye back in, now i just need to get some staples and do the hair! its getting close!
970625_607759769243269_467104789_n.jpg

Day 9?

i had some friends in from out of state so i took a break for a few days.

today i went and picked up some staples, and finished him off, i might weather the clothes, but for now, im done.

the hair.... man the hair was a pain in the buns. trial and error, and error, and more error. i gave up on attempting to do the eye brows, theres just to few hairs to try and use hot glue like i did with the rest of the hair. if anyone has any tips then i would love to hear them.

overall, i think its pretty damn good, the hair dosent lay exactly the way i want it, but overall im happy
419015_610966232255956_1469782710_n.jpg983715_610966248922621_1546610997_n.jpg969264_610966242255955_1082732484_n.jpg971933_610966325589280_375216294_n.jpg600959_610966345589278_28447256_n.jpg

and a before and after
424637_610969655588947_307972797_n.jpg

Looks awesome mate 100 times better :)

I followed Howlrunners guide to, but noticed my Chucky was different, sounds different to yours to, the hair on my one is like staw and and couldn't punch it through had to cut it short and sand the rest of it.
The teeth also look different on my one.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back