The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo

Grenex

After buying a Silhouette Cameo to cut my Pepakura pieces, I was both excited and bewildered.
There seemed to be no “Definitive” resource on how to use this machine and the software to cut my card stock for me.

I watched several YouTube videos, read several threads on a few sites, but still seemed to be lacking some of the basic information on the process from start to end. What was worst of all for me appeared to be the random incomplete threads I found in relation to some of my own questions or problems.

I vowed that once I understood it all, I would create a definitive guide on how to use the Silhouette Cameo to cut Pepakura parts. I hope that this helps others where a gaping hole was left in my life. Since I am new to building and Pepakura, I figured it is the one way I can contribute back to this incredibly helpful community.

I have completed writing a VERY extensive guide to be shared on how to use the machine, common issues, detailed steps, etc.

I am creating this thread in hopes that others are in need of this resource, Please let me know if you are interested in this so I know I am not wasting my time, and help motivate me to complete it. LOL :)

UPDATED: The guide is completed and can be downloaded HERE http://temp.grenexmedia.com/DefPepCameoGuide1.3.zip

Capture.JPG

UPDATED: The guide is completed and can be downloaded HERE
http://temp.grenexmedia.com/DefPepCameoGuide1.3.zip

Last edited:
Thank you for undertaking this difficult task. I would like to buy one of these machines, but balked when I saw how user unfriendly it was with pep files

Sorry guys...worked late last night, and have to take some more pics tonight to finish it. Hopefully by tomorrow...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

does anyone want to see an incomplete copy and start proofing it for me?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

This is really valuable. I have never done pepakura and don't own a Silhouette machine but this kind of thing has the potential to help people for years going forward. Sooner or later I will need this info and it will be here.

Thank you!

Thanks for the great guide Grenex, im gonna be using what ive learnt very soon.

Before I read this I cut using a different method; I went into pep designer, exported the pages as multi-file DXF's and then using the Silhouette Studio (free software) I imported the files individually, changed the line cuts to correspond with what I needed and then cut :) this only works with simpler pep files as I didn't have the edge id's printed but I simply looked at pep viewer as I went.

I just bought a Cameo, and the controller will not connect to the Cameo. After speaking to Silhouette, I have to use their software, Studio, to set the marks up. Still attempting to find the right registration marks, but hopefully I'll find it soon.

Update: So, after finding another thread and updating drivers properly, I got the controller to work and now it works just fine. Ignore the above!

Last edited:
So do you guys use the cameo to cut the foam or cut the cardstock to transfer to the foam?

It is used to cut out the card stock. Foam is too thick to fit in the machine

- - - Updated - - -

I just bought a Cameo, and the controller will not connect to the Cameo. After speaking to Silhouette, I have to use their software, Studio, to set the marks up. Still attempting to find the right registration marks, but hopefully I'll find it soon.

Update: So, after finding another thread and updating drivers properly, I got the controller to work and now it works just fine. Ignore the above!

Aaran: The document posted at the start of this thread covers EVERYTHING including the driver issue. Take a few mins to review it and it will save you TONS of time and headaches. ;)

Yep. Once I found the driver update suggestion in another thread, It worked out quite well. Its not exact, about a MM off but it is very liveable. I am so glad I bought this thing.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back