Short Circuit 2 - Johnny 5 remote control toy head

Rymo

Sr Member
Came across this on eBay today. It looks to me like one of the actual heads from one of the toy Johnny 5 robots seen at the beginning of Short Circuit 2. I compared it to screenshots of the film, and I'd say it's legit. The greeblies on the top are identical to the ones seen in the film, and on the bottom of the head you can see where the wires attached, just like the toy in the film.

I always wanted one of these when I was a kid, but unfortunately I was outbid...by a lot. The winning bid was $525, which was more than I was willing to spend. Maybe these pics will help someone out there who has been wanting to build one. Seller said the piece is 3" wide x 1-1/2" tall x 3-3/8" deep.
$T2eC16VHJHoE9n3Ke5TSBRmr(YS39g~~60_57.JPG$T2eC16dHJH8E9qSEW80UBRmr(ufDbQ~~60_57.JPG$T2eC16hHJIIE9qTYM,zhBRmr(eVFUQ~~60_57.JPG$T2eC16RHJIkE9qU3kWl+BRmr(jKc7g~~60_57.JPG$(KGrHqJHJFcFG(1Stj22BRmr(qIJOw~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Short Circuit 2 - Johnny 5 remote control toy

Around 20 working toys were made for the film, and around 40 were made to be used as static, non-working "background dressing" toys. Due to the rough nature of this piece, I'm guessing it was one that was used as background dressing.

Re: Short Circuit 2 - Johnny 5 remote control toy

Here are some reference shots that show the sides, top, and the bottom for comparison.

vlcsnap-2013-05-27-09h09m03s198.pngvlcsnap-2013-05-27-09h09m31s216.pngvlcsnap-2013-05-27-09h17m44s29.pngvlcsnap-2013-05-27-09h24m50s164.pngvlcsnap-2013-05-27-09h12m00s171.png

What's funny is that the seller didn't even know what it was. He buys expired storage units in California, and this was in one of them. He knew that the person who had rented out the unit had worked in movies, but the seller thought the prop was maybe from Star Trek: TNG or Terminator 2. I immediately knew what it was.

It jumped from $162 to $525 in the last 10 seconds of bidding. It seems like info about these little robots is pretty hard to find, so it would have been a great piece to have.

im kind of surprised that something like these havent been made already, either by the ppl on the board or someone getting the license.

I love that movie (I say movie, since the minis were only in the 2nd), so I recognized that right away! Thanks for the reference. I'd love to model one of the toys one day. The full size Johnny 5 might be just a little beyond me. :D

im kind of surprised that something like these havent been made already, either by the ppl on the board or someone getting the license.

There were some made a while ago under the name Robot V (for legal proposes) not sure if they are still available.

main.php

main.php

Last edited:
index

found this, it has paper craft section and even prop builders guide :)

EDIT - The prop builders PDF guide is HUGE and the full unit will be over 400lbs lmao
There is a blueprint section as well with details on each part, with pics and videos

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back