Linda Hamilton/ Sarah Conner sculpt HELP!!

OLDSCHOOLDAN

Hey Gang!
I am sculpting a 1 to 1 bust of Linda Hamilton as Sarah Conner.
I need some help .
I could use some great crits and guidance on this one fellow artists.

Thanks, And please be brutal, Its how I get better as a sculptor.

Be well,
Daniel

SARAHCONNERSCULPT11_zps2f488218.jpg

SARAHCONNERSCULPT12_zps560128a3.jpg

SARAHCONNERSCULPT13_zps86646a2a.jpg

SARAHCONNERSCULPT14_zpsbf1c581f.jpg

T2_4_lgcopy_zps3c8471d0.jpg

jcijaidd_zpsc9d67a72.jpg

hdaeeaea_zpsdf6d92be.jpg

B3EgPSgB2kKGrHqNgsEyGkd2qPCBMk3p7nfGg_3-1_zps748d0811.jpg

Certainly a great start. I'm a plastic surgeon so I always stare at noses and I think your sculpture's nose is more classically "pretty" than Linda Hamilton's in that the tip of Linda's nose hangs down slightly below the nostril plane and I think your sculpture's does not yet. You have her broad tip but i think Linda's nasal dorsum (bridge) is wider than you have at this point. Likewise, Linda's nasolabial folds are deeper than those of your sculpture, so far.

You have her prominent angles of the mandible perfectly rendered. Her somewhat downward sloping eyes (outer lower than inner) will be important when you get there, I think.

Could her upper lip be made slightly fuller? Linda had full lips before full lips were really "in!"

You are doing great work. It is all about details from here and tons of reference from multiple angles.

I have never seen a 1:1 sculpt of this very popular character so you may have a real commercial success on your hands if you want to go that way.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see this come together. She has pretty distinctive and bold features. They should translate nicely to sculpted forms.

Hey man, I'm no sculptor so don't hold much weight with my comment, the side profile looks the most like her, I guess at this stage of finding your groove it's seems you might be playing it safe and not wanting to alter it too much.

I recently completed a sculpt and I felt anxious every time I made an alteration, id say experiment changing the mouth, like the plastic surgeon said above, though I'm going to criticize the mouth, it just seems "classically pretty".

It looks fantastic though, and there is definatly a likeness coming along, can't wait to see the next wip shots, you definatly have your work cut out for you.

Wow! The likeness is really coming along! Linda has a slight downward turning of the corners of her mouth, even at rest, that makes her look like she is frowning even when she isn't. I don't see that as much in the sculpture.

The other thing I just noticed is she has a slight asymmetry of her nasal alae (the wing shaped parts that extend out and around the nostrils). Her right ala points downward more than her left one. At the risk of seeming indelicate, it would be easier to look into the left side of her nose during conversation than the right!

She has a furrowed brow in nearly every Terminator photo so you might consider that to help this be Sarah Connor and not just Linda Hamilton.

Also, if you can find pictures of her older than the period you are capturing, it may help. Age brings out those features that are distinctive about a person's face (the brow furrows and the nasolabial folds are examples of this). See the effects of age and then "dial them back" to the period you are going for.

Great work!

Last edited:
HEY GANG!
Here is my Sarah Conner third pass.
Ahoudini, Your suggestion to use a photo of her older to help with the structure of her face was a HUGE HELP!
Thank you so much.

Here you go!

Daniel

SARAHCONNER33_zpsf7ba8c49.jpg

SARAHCONNER32_zps58f8254c.jpg

SARAHCONNER34_zpsf0ee012d.jpg

SARAHCONNER35_zps4dc957e6.jpg

Its looking Fantastic! since you asked for criticism I would say the eye's are still a little bit too staring, she has sleepy eye's.
As has been said the upper eye lids slope down to the outside but its a little more gradual across the eye. I would also suggest bringing the lower eye lid up a touch & if possible increase the size of her pupils a wee bit.
The mouth shape looks great! I would make the area's either side of her mouth very slightly fuller & I'd slightly exaggerate the corners of her jaw, this would create slightly deeper furrows in her cheeks.
Your doing a great job so far :thumbsup
Hope This Helps :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back