Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

Here's my Anakin Starkiller's (custom weathered) comparison shot.
Pretty darn close!

2017-01-17 12.39.05.jpg

Now I can finally install that weird chunk!

I´m gonna 3d print this "mistery chunk" i just modeled in stainless steel material. I see the chunk in the photos is bigger than the set screws i purchased and also is not squared shaped.
I will use just for a test, wating for more clear pictures to be as accurate as possible. Prints are a bit rough, but i think would work for this specific piece.
Let see how it works :)

View attachment 698817

Also just seen this capture from a guy at facebook. THis confirms that starkiller is very accurate. Still noticing that the booster is a bit shorter than starkiller´s one, but is the most accurate to date IMO.

View attachment 698818

The show already happened?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That very impressive man! Love the details

But I think the handle is more smooth then hardedge. At least, if I compare with the ref

BINGO! even if we cant find dark aluminum square stock we can always dye it with some nasty old engine oil. heat the square stock until she changes color, and drop it in a bucket of engine oil. you can find guys "blueing" old guns this way.

Sometimes square headed bolts like this are used as plugs for holes to oil chambers on motors and engines. The corners are sometimes rounded over. I've seen them on conveyor belt motors before. That would explain the shape and possible oil residue coloring.

Or maybe it's colored from exposure to high heat...? So I have to ask, does a RR Derwent jet engine have any plugs like this?

That circle between the cubes looks like maybe a machining mark? Ive seen it on a few recent runs between the cubes before.

And man, that clamp looks nice and shiny, thought it had more rust or something.

The show already happened?!

Last I read, it was supposed to be released today, January 17th.

EDIT: Just verified on Hamill's "Pop Culture Quest" FB account, as this was written yesterday:

"Learn all about how lightsabers were brought to life in the original Star Wars films in tomorrow’s episode of #PopCultureQuest!"

Last edited:
Just watched it. Great Episode! Not much more visual on the V2 than you've already seen, but some. Very cool stories and other props though.

Also that's a mill mark between the pommel cubes. Could have told you that before seeing that pic.

So we can see how warped the emitter disc is by the end of ROTJ filming, but I wish we knew how many dings/warps that disc had at the beginning of ROTJ filming so that we could know the range of warpage that would be considered screen-accurate to ROTJ. I do want to beat up my emitter disc some to match the actual saber, but not as much as it would take to match the end-of-filming state we're seeing now.

And here's something else to consider. So it would seem that the entire saber was originally painted black, almost as a primer, and then the neck was painted bronze-ish and the emitter was painted gunmetal grey to match the Obi hero's Inconel emitter, as seen in the pics of the saber being held by Guiness.

We see that some of the original bronze-ish paint from Guiness' use of this prop in ANH still exists on top of the black paint on the neck. Could it be that some of the paint on the emitter retained the gunmetal paint from ANH?

Ummm, why are people taking PHOTOS of their computer screens? On a Mac you can capture windows, the entire desktop or crop regions to a PNG or JPG easily. It's not too hard to grab a full screen in Windows either.

Also, WRT the mystery chunk, you can't deform a squared piece of stock into a top tapered (pyramid-like) form by hammering it from above into a hole. It doesn't matter if you try it once or once per second until the end of time, it will never take that shape. :) Just machine or file the shape you want ahead of time.

Last edited:
Because the app won't let you take a screen cap... and I was using the app on my iPad. So I ran upstairs and took some pictures off my mac so I could quickly post them.

iPad or iPhone: Home button and menu button together captures any screen and saves it to you camera roll.

On the Mac: CMD-SHIFT-4 to define a region. Press the space bar and it will automatically select entire windows as you hover over them, even if they're in the background.

At least one of those photos is of a Mac, not an iPad.

The app will not let you screencap. It comes out black. Please read my post again. You missed the part where I explained it all.

I also deleted the pictures, because apparently they weren't good enough.

As best as I can tell the video is being served at 960x540 to me - I'll take a more detailed look later to see if there are any options to get a higher resolution stream. The capture below is at the window size I happened to be viewing, so it's enlarged. It was captured when the camera stopped zooming and the saber is in its most focused state.

ScreenShot1.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back