Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

Okay-- then it had to have been rattle can satin to be worn off so easily, right?

No idea what kind of paint was used at the time, but it's held up a lot better than a typical satin rattle can job would today. I just painted mine with a black self-etching primer and it's got really nice adhesion and resiliency, but stuff like Tremclad, Duplicolor and Krylon come off relatively easily.

Okay-- then it had to have been rattle can satin to be worn off so easily, right?

I have a crazy theory the original was painted in a lacquer. No proof behind anything, just a personal opinion judging by the paint we see in the pop culture show

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Studying this now... I can see the famous Roy clamp lever is open. But I'm not seeing a cone knob, with the pommel hooked to the belt, shouldn't we be able to see the cone knob from this angle?
a69e0d6662026b5ad2774c53557fcb24.jpg

Edit: correction, quickly forgot the pommel has the ability to spin... knob could be on the opposite side... hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can print Inigo's Shapeways chunk at cost in metal. I thought he'd previously mentioned it in this thread, but it could have been another.
Oh yeah, I remember Inigou was talking about 3D printing one. I don't see the mystery chunk in his shapeways page, but I'll contact him and report back.

OK. For all interested, here is the link of my "mistery chunk" at shapeways shop.
Note Shapeways Stainless steel material has a rough finish when out from printer, so this WILL need sanding and/or polishing after receiving the item, preferably with a dremel or similar tool.

http://shpws.me/OjIa

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. For all interested, here is the link of my "mistery chunk" at shapeways shop.
Note Shapeways Stainless steel material has a rough finish when out from printer, so this WILL need sanding and/or polishing after receiving the item, preferably with a dremel or similar tool.

Thanks so much for this Inigou! I'll order a couple asap.

How do you recommend attaching it to the saber? The shaft appears to be smooth. Would some kind of glue or epoxy work?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

If you file the tip of the chunk's plug to make its diameter smaller than the rest of it, you should also be able to friction-fit it into a slightly smaller hole in the hilt. Knock it in with a piece of wood on top of it.

If you file the tip of the chunk's plug to make its diameter smaller than the rest of it, you should also be able to friction-fit it into a slightly smaller hole in the hilt. Knock it in with a piece of wood on top of it.
I thought of that but was concerned about doing that with a metal plug in a metal hole. There won't be much give to the material.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I thought of that but was concerned about doing that with a metal plug in a metal hole. There won't be much give to the material.

You have to make sure the difference in size between hole/peg is miniscule. It doesn't take much to keep something so small super tight. I don't know how malleable the Shapeways piece will be, but the aluminum of the hilt is pretty soft (relatively speaking).

I need some paint advice on my V2. I can't seem to get the peeling paint near the bottom of the hilt right. Anyone have any advice on how to achieve this effect without buying a stencil? I keep painting it with flat black enamel but can't seem to find the right tool to shave it off and create that peeling effect, so I am perpetually starting over. Are there special tools to use? Razor blades? Should I treat the metal with wax or soap before painting to make it peel more cleanly? Not sure where to go from here. My paint just looks scratched off when I am done The metal doesn't look clean underneath.

I'm going for kind of a MR look and not a totally weathered V2 look, so I want a clean metal beneath the paint.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back