Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

So yeah it's nearly impossible to get a smooth even color with aluminum black. It streaks and splotches even on completely clean smooth metal. Gonna let it soak in leather dye for a few hours and see where that gets me.

Did u try applying it with a cheap sponge brush? Also called "chip brushes"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually dunked it into the stuff in a cup, so I wouldnt get any kind of brush marks or anything, still didnt come out even.

Alu Black, or any bluing, after trying that same trick with my DL-44 flash hider, I found out can't be applied evenly in just one pass. It works best if it's done in multiple passes, buffed down with a fine steel wool pad, and then applied again. For mine, I did 3 light passes, buffing in-between, to get it to the color I was happy with.

The black leather glove theory might have something to it. This is from 4 hours soaking in leather dye, at a fairly cold temp. Gonna let it soak overnight and heat it up later. I would imagine constant friction against leather would also dull it up.

IMG_0125.JPGIMG_0126.JPG

While I do see slight brown, I think it's just from the light. It looks more like the black on the grenade section than it does the brown on the windvane.

Of course, this could just be me. Now I just can't help but think, how aren't there any really good pics of the v2 prop?
It might be just me, but I see hints of brown here...

View attachment 705535

Edit: Also having looked at the video with Brandon and Mark Hamill, it does appear that this section is black. But again, I could be mistaken.

Just as a precautionary step for those of you putting aluminum in your dishwasher, I would advise that you do not wash any other dishes, cookware, nor any cooking or eating utensils in the same load. So basically put it in there by itself. Further, I would run an empty load to clean the dishwasher just to be safe. I've been reading up on the effects of aluminum leaching and it's spooky. Granted, the amount that may be leaching out is low and that the amount you may end up consuming off of contaminated dishes is low, and that it may take quite a bit of spoon licking to totally poison yourself, but why risk it? Brain lesions similar to Alzheimer's disease, and atributible to aluminum consumption, have been discovered.

So, if it were me, I'd be using a bucket that had nothing to do with food preparation, dish cleaning, or even cleaning the bathtub just to be safe. And I'd be doing it outside while standing upwind of the bucket.

Be safe guys!

Just as a precautionary step for those of you putting aluminum in your dishwasher, I would advise that you do not wash any other dishes, cookware, nor any cooking or eating utensils in the same load. So basically put it in there by itself. Further, I would run an empty load to clean the dishwasher just to be safe. I've been reading up on the effects of aluminum leaching and it's spooky. Granted, the amount that may be leaching out is low and that the amount you may end up consuming off of contaminated dishes is low, and that it may take quite a bit of spoon licking to totally poison yourself, but why risk it? Brain lesions similar to Alzheimer's disease, and atributible to aluminum consumption, have been discovered.

So, if it were me, I'd be using a bucket that had nothing to do with food preparation, dish cleaning, or even cleaning the bathtub just to be safe. And I'd be doing it outside while standing upwind of the bucket.

Be safe guys!

I have also read this, but didn't get that much detail out of my search. All I could find was "don't do it, it's not healthy"

Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really haven't seen a whole lot of articles about the health hazards of aluminum in the dishwasher. However I have read a ton of articles about ruining your aluminum cookware in a dishwasher. Maybe the aluminum cookware has a something added to it to make it safe to cook with? Just to be safe I cleaned my dishwasher really well but I'm pretty sure I have aluminum parts in my washer.

How are you soaking the parts? Particularly the pommel cubes. Are you brushing the dye on? I'm really digging the effect!

I taped off the ends and just let it sit in a plastic cup of the liquid dye all day. Heated it up a little before rubbing it clean with paper towel.

So it is possible to warp the AnakinStarkiller emitter, but I had to use multiple sizes of pliers and do a bit of sanding to smooth out some tool marks from the bending. Nothing cracked. I may bend them a little more are they are much less obvious to the naked eye.

View attachment 700445View attachment 700446View attachment 700447View attachment 700448

And regarding how we could never ever see this warping in the catching photo, well check this out:

View attachment 700451

Hi Kylash. What tape did you use on the emitter neck?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back