Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

that must mean the only time they had to take a blade out was for the deactivation before tossing it!

didnt think of that one, yup! trying to think... when he chucks it do we get to see the end of the emitter? see if theres a hole. im going to go check the screen caps page

that i believe is the V2, i noticed the other day while watching RoTJ that you can see how ripply the emitter is while he's walking on the catwalk. whats even funnier, is once he falls, when vader is under there stalking him, vader is holding the V2 in his left hand! makes you wonder what the story was at that time, when luke fell did he drop the V2?

It was script that Luke lost his grip on it and Vader snatched it up. I've heard that when Luke gets pissed he snags it back via the force-- but I've also heard that there's another sequence in which he forces-up Vader's saber and the fight with each other's weapons.

What's also interesting is that the very same gag was planned in ROTS but cut out, but in one close up shot you can see Obi_wan holding the skinnyflex.

dang... all they got is this
star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-13476.jpg

but they do have this pretty big
star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-13468.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-13469.jpg

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-13470.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It was script that Luke lost his grip on it and Vader snatched it up. I've heard that when Luke gets pissed he snags it back via the force-- but I've also heard that there's another sequence in which he forces-up Vader's saber and the fight with each other's weapons.

What's also interesting is that the very same gag was planned in ROTS but cut out, but in one close up shot you can see Obi_wan holding the skinnyflex.

you guys dont understand the pain right now, killer cramp in my right thigh.... holy hell. anyway, this is the first I've ever heard of this!! wicked cool seth! so luke taps into the darkside and forces vader to raise his own saber and fight?!

From IMDB:

"When Vader is searching for Luke in the Emperor's throne room, he is holding his ignited 'red blade' lightsaber in his right hand, and another unignited lightsaber handle in his left hand. This is because of a deleted scene where Luke throws his lightsaber out to Vader."

From IMDB:

"When Vader is searching for Luke in the Emperor's throne room, he is holding his ignited 'red blade' lightsaber in his right hand, and another unignited lightsaber handle in his left hand. This is because of a deleted scene where Luke throws his lightsaber out to Vader."

i wish we could see all these scenes... i never understood luke hiding... where exactly was he hiding the whole time. then he just appears... never understood that scene

It's much too blurry a screencap for me to be definitive about anything, but regarding the shot of Luke tossing the hilt away, it very well could be either. From a practicality standpoint, they already have a stunt to duel with, it would be easy to just pop off the dueling rod and have something to chuck around for however many takes they needed. The same could be said for the V2. I have a feeling the crew wouldn't have cared that much about which they used.:p

Thank you! I saw the Shared Stunt at the end there too (the rings match an ANH stunt) because there was brighter copper and that circuit board looked much bolder! This may be when the nipple was lost, since they had to remove the blade. He fights with the V3

View attachment 703161

I always noticed things like that as a kid! Vader holding lukes V2 when luke technically had it, the fact the V2 looks so different from the hero..

oh and this. Oops.
View attachment 703160

What the heck!? Hahahaha never noticed that before

that must mean the only time they had to take a blade out was for the deactivation before tossing it!

Or rather it wasn't there to begin with. Beginning in Empire, especially in shots where the saber is ignited and retracted in a few frames, it was easier to not have a rod in it at all and paint it all in post. I think that was the case here.

In fact, they had this gag twice and both got cut out. You'll see it in the end duel with Anakin and Obi-wan when they're fighting on the table but the other time this happens is when Palpatine fights Mace Windu and gang. Anakin was originally was supposed to be in the room and Palpatine snatches his lightsaber and uses it for the fight (you'll see it a number of times during the fight in close-ups). It was reworked, for better and for worse, last minute because it didn't make sense for Anakin to just be a wallflower watching this happen. McDiarmid also was made to do some actual fencing the day of too, last minute, without any rehearsing beforehand. :p

In fact, they had this gag twice and both got cut out. You'll see it in the end duel with Anakin and Obi-wan when they're fighting on the table but the other time this happens is when Palpatine fights Mace Windu and gang. Anakin was originally was supposed to be in the room and Palpatine snatches his lightsaber and uses it for the fight (you'll see it a number of times during the fight in close-ups). It was reworked, for better and for worse, last minute because it didn't make sense for Anakin to just be a wallflower watching this happen. McDiarmid also was made to do some actual fencing the day of too, last minute, without any rehearsing beforehand. :p

ha, i always noticed Paps with the skinny-flex... that explains it now! :thumbsup

This isn't quite right--as can be seen in the script, novelization, and comic adaptation, Luke, hiding under the stairs, gives his weapon over to Vader, since he refuses to fight. When Vader enrages him, Luke Force-pulls it back into his hand, and the final duel begins. There wasn't anything to the scene beyond that, as far as I know.

This isn't quite right--as can be seen in the script, novelization, and comic adaptation, Luke, hiding under the stairs, gives his weapon over to Vader, since he refuses to fight. When Vader enrages him, Luke Force-pulls it back into his hand, and the final duel begins. There wasn't anything to the scene beyond that, as far as I know.

I'm possibly merging different rumors, the ROTS bit, and the truth all in my head.

If I remember correctly, according to the ROTJ novel, when Luke falls on the catwalk he loses grip of his lightsaber and Vader picks it up when looking for him in the darkness. Then as Luke gets angry at the thought of Vader going after Leia, he force pulls it from Vader's hand. Would have loved to have seen that scene!

One thing I havent really seen mentioned since the new pictures is how evenly darkened the "booster" area is. With the Celebrations shots, most seemed to have gone with it being a mottled streaky type darkened color, but these shots really show how clean and evenly darkened the whole thing is. I've not seen aluminum do this naturally, it almost looks like aged pewter or something.

Has anyone ever tried darkening aluminum in this way by soaking it in leather dye? I found a few places suggesting that for a flat grey color, but I havent been able to find dye locally to try yet.

Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 1.29.47 PM.png

"Grey" booster (wheel has same/similar effect): Depends on whether someone's trying to reproduce the current look of a prop that's been affected by 33 years of "fill in the blank" or what was "seen" in the movie.

You can use Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to get alu to look like that. You can probably also paint it with the same stuff used back when the prop was made and then over the course of a few years chip it away and let it sit for another few decades. ;)

It's pretty clearly this dark even in shots from 83.

Every time Ive used Aluminum Black its nowhere near that even, its always splotchy, and would be much darker than what is seen here. Which is the only reason I'm looking into alternate methods.

Another I came across was soaking it in water mixed with Drano (lye). If the leather dye doesnt work, I may try that. Obviously it could be achieved with paint, but with adding the paint masks over that, I could see that under layer getting easily messed up.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back